HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Rangers Home Winter Classic - What Team? What Stadium? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1242317)

KingWantsCup 08-06-2012 02:26 PM

Rangers Home Winter Classic - What Team? What Stadium?
 
When the Rangers get their winter classic at home, what team do you think we'll play? I personally think it will be the Kings. Not only would it be that natural NY vs LA feud, but both these teams should be dominant for years to come, so it would likely be a genuinely good match up as well. I think the event will be held at MetLife stadium.

Tawnos 08-06-2012 02:31 PM

Given that we're already seeing one Canadian team on the road in the WC, I think we'll play Montreal.

As for venue, who knows? But my dad and I have been kicking around the idea of Michie Stadium at West Point ever since they announced the Rangers in Philly.

Also, LA is unlikely. Remember, it's gotta be a team that can host a WC themselves. I'm not sure where the NHL stands on hosting an outdoor game in SoCal, but I strongly doubt they're on board at this stage.

PassShootScore 08-06-2012 02:32 PM

when we get finally get it it will be at Yankee Stadium

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-06-2012 02:32 PM

There is no "NY vs LA feud".

esidebill 08-06-2012 02:40 PM

Why not versus the Capitals at the MetLife? :p

Tawnos 08-06-2012 02:40 PM

I would also suggest Chicago as a strong possibility, since they haven't played on the road yet and it's original 6. Something tells me Chicago is going to be playing when the Wild get their WC though.

Tawnos 08-06-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 53322085)
Why not versus the Capitals at the MetLife? :p

Caps have already played their road game. The next time they're in the WC, it will be in Washington.

MacTruck 08-06-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 53321847)
Given that we're already seeing one Canadian team on the road in the WC, I think we'll play Montreal.

As for venue, who knows? But my dad and I have been kicking around the idea of Michie Stadium at West Point ever since they announced the Rangers in Philly.

Also, LA is unlikely. Remember, it's gotta be a team that can host a WC themselves. I'm not sure where the NHL stands on hosting an outdoor game in SoCal, but I strongly doubt they're on board at this stage.

Michie Stadium seats 40,000 I believe but I dont think they would do that there. It's a military base with only two gates. Imagine trying to get 40,000 people into West Point? Army football games NEVER sell out. They usually only draw a crowd of 25,000 at the most.

Traffic would be an absolute nightmare! Plus its 40 minutes from the city and there is very limited parking. I think it's a no go for the NHL. I'd love it though, since I live 10 minutes from West Pt. :)

I think it will be at MetLife in 2015. The year after they host the Super Bowl. If not then Yankee Stadium in 2014 or 2015.

NYRSchrute217 08-06-2012 02:47 PM

It will be at Yankee Stadium against the Bruins

SouthJerseyRanger 08-06-2012 02:53 PM

Boston has yet to play their road game, I don't think there's any way the NHL picks anybody but the Bruins against the Rangers to be played at Yankee Stadium (oh, how I wish it'd be Citi Field :(). You get two major hockey markets, two major media markets, a historic rivalry, an Original Six matchup, and they get to play off the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry and get a ton of the baseball fans to tune in as well. It's a no-brainer for the league.

broadwayblue 08-06-2012 02:59 PM

I agree...Yankee Stadium vs. Boston.

Bleed Ranger Blue 08-06-2012 03:05 PM

Yankee Stadium is booked for the next few years with the Pinstripe Bowl.

If the game is going to be at Yankee Stadium, somethings gonna have to give regarding the date of either the Pinstripe Bowl or the Winter Classic.

district9 08-06-2012 03:08 PM

i think it ends up at yankee stadium despite the pinstripe bowl. that contract runs up in 2013 so there's only 2 more pinstripe games. 3-4 years away is when i'd expect a yankee stadium winter classic.

New York RKY 08-06-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 53322849)
Yankee Stadium is booked for the next few years with the Pinstripe Bowl.

If the game is going to be at Yankee Stadium, somethings gonna have to give regarding the date of either the Pinstripe Bowl or the Winter Classic.

Yep, exactly. They have the pinstripe bowl set for quite a while. Don't get me wrong it seems wrong to me to have it in any other place other than Yankee Stadium.

It would probably be a the Goants/Jets Arena if we had it.

NYRSchrute217 08-06-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petejudge (Post 53322971)
i think it ends up at yankee stadium despite the pinstripe bowl. that contract runs up in 2013 so there's only 2 more pinstripe games. 3-4 years away is when i'd expect a yankee stadium winter classic.

January 1, 2015

asphyXy 08-06-2012 03:15 PM

I'd like our home Winter Classic to be against Boston. Prior to the arrival of the Flyers, Isles, and Devils, Boston was the biggest rival. Boston hasn't played an away game yet, and since we already played Philly, there's really no one left that makes sense for us to play, since the league isn't going to put the Isles or Devils in the Winter Classic any time soon.

It definitely has to be at Yankee Stadium. The Meadowlands are in Jersey. Despite the New York tag on the teams that play there, the Rangers are not going to play their Winter Classic in Jersey, right next to (literally) the arena where the Devils won three cups.

jskramer83 08-06-2012 03:21 PM

In two years we could probably even do it at the Rock in Newark.......


If the Devils don't get some capital quickly the roof will likely be coming off that place:sarcasm:

NyRangers88 08-06-2012 03:26 PM

It won't be held at MetLife Stadium -- it will 100% be Yankee Stadium. I vote to play LA, but it will probably be Boston or Montreal.

Roomtemperature 08-06-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 53321869)
There is no "NY vs LA feud".

Tell that to the Biggie and Tupac

district9 08-06-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 (Post 53323051)
January 1, 2015

i keep seeing conflicting reports on this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinstripe_Bowl says 2013 but i've seen 2015 too. is there a definitive source on this?

Khris Creider 08-06-2012 04:14 PM

I honestly think it should be Rangers Isles...how many outdoor fights with all the goons us and the isles loaded up this offseason would be ridiciculous...definitley bring haley up for that haha

Giacomin 08-06-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers88 (Post 53323607)
It won't be held at MetLife Stadium -- it will 100% be Yankee Stadium. I vote to play LA, but it will probably be Boston or Montreal.

Why would it be 100% at Yankee Stadium. From what I read the Yankees didn,t seem too excited about hosting the Winter Classic. It would make much more sense to play the game in Citifield if in NYC or Met Life Stadium if they play it outside of NYC.

turcotte8 08-06-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bickel41 (Post 53326063)
Why would it be 100% at Yankee Stadium. From what I read the Yankees didn,t seem too excited about hosting the Winter Classic. It would make much more sense to play the game in Citifield if in NYC or Met Life Stadium if they play it outside of NYC.

Because Yankee Stadium, even though it's new, is a historic venue. Especially if it's against Boston,to have it anywhere else doesn't make sense.

Look at when they had it in Chicago, you can have it at Wrigley Field or "The place the White Sox play".

patnyrnyg 08-06-2012 04:53 PM

Baseball Stadiums are terrible lay-outs for hockey. Unfortunately, the league doesn't have the brains to do this in football stadiums. Do it the week after the Super Bowl when nothing else is going on.

Kane One 08-06-2012 04:58 PM

It will have to be against a team in another market.

If it's Rangers-Isles, NBC would get big ratings in only one market.
If it's Rangers-(Another Market), NBC would get big ratings in two markets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.