HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Geek Emporium (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Tomb Raider 2013 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1242415)

DJyellow 08-06-2012 05:27 PM

Tomb Raider 2013

Looks pretty good... Uncharted with a hot chick as the main character... great recipe

Frankie Spankie 08-06-2012 05:56 PM

I still haven't played the newest game (I think Underworld?) but I heard it was really good, much better than the last few versions that came out. I still need to play that one before I decide to play this one.

Darkhorse1280 08-07-2012 01:31 PM

Looks great. Kind of seems like a Nolan-like retelling of the entire franchise.

Can't wait.

Jill Sandwich 08-07-2012 02:07 PM

Really like this direction.

One Man Rock Band 08-07-2012 03:57 PM

Good trailer. Hope the gameplay is good though.

DJyellow 08-07-2012 04:11 PM

If the awards they've won so far is any indication, gameplay promises to be pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Ra...013_video_game)

Graveland 08-07-2012 04:27 PM

All I know is the trailer from E3 was disgusting. The panting, the moaning, the sexual vulnerability. They wanted people to have some sick caveman mentality where you want to protect little Lara.

Sigh.

Le Tricolore 08-07-2012 05:10 PM

Youtube doesn't work for me at work, but I'll check out the video. I'm in need of a new non-sports games, and I'm definitely a fan of the Uncharted series, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this.

RandV 08-07-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt Macklin (Post 53360313)
All I know is the trailer from E3 was disgusting. The panting, the moaning, the sexual vulnerability. They wanted people to have some sick caveman mentality where you want to protect little Lara.

Sigh.

Personally I think the fact that this cause such a big fuss among the gamer community shows a bit of a screwed up mentality.

I'm probably more a reader than I am a gamer, so reading stuff like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones on HBO) where something like r*** is a reality and/or unavoidable consequence for women. Watching the trailer for the new Tomb Raider I got the impression that they were taking a more realistic/survivalist approach to the genre, which I would consider a welcome change.

Compared to the status quo, where female avatars are designed to be sexy while at the same time the game world is completely oblivious to this. Like the character is designed specifically for the gamer to **** off too without having to deal with all the uncomfortable consequences or side effects an actual attractive female adventurer would have, anything from the physics required to hold those boobs up or what the scum bag grunts you're killing off by the score would really want to do should they get their hands on you.

So back to the trailer, when Lara is trying to slip past the Gregor Clegaine henchman-type mercenaries and gets caught, what occurs is a natural escalation. It's not you that gets to be the knight in shining armour that steps in to save her, she fights back on her own and all you can do is cheer her on. So personally I have no idea where this is supposed to create some "sick caveman mentality where you want to protect little Lara". How exactly are these events supposed to play out? Should reality be avoided so the gamer can continue to play Indiana Jones but instead of Indy have a sexy babe onscreen?

Really what I'm getting at is what do you expect should happen here? I get the impression that the gamer community is trying to hard to get past the usual immaturity towards women the medium has that they're looking way to hard into this new Tomb Raider trailer to try to seem progressive.

Captain Awesome 08-07-2012 05:37 PM

I remember when Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a guy.

Those were the days.

Edit: I'm with Rand on this one, even if there was an attempted **** scene, it's about time video games actually took on some more interesting and controversial themes. It's got to evolve into exploring things other than big boobs and big guns at some point. I am well aware that not all video games are lumped into that stereotype, but too many of the noticeable ones are.

DJyellow 08-07-2012 07:27 PM

some of the controversy explained; starts around 6:24.

and we have scene much worse (like club/strip scene in heavy rain)

Telos 08-08-2012 12:34 AM

I don't know what to think about this. Originally, when they first announced it long ago and showed the artist rendition of the new Croft, she looked fantastic, and I loved the new direction, but this doesn't quite have the right feel. I am not sure I like the choice for voice actress, and I think they could have done a better job with her textures, she still kind of looks too fake. Just have to wait and see what the gameplay is like, but just from this video alone I am not sold. The writing seems like it would be kind of questionable as well.

Graveland 08-08-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJyellow (Post 53365659)

some of the controversy explained; starts around 6:24.

and we have scene much worse (like club/strip scene in heavy rain)

Heavy Rain is as close to realism as games get but David Cage has the emotional range of a 3 year old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 53362463)
I'm probably more a reader than I am a gamer, so reading stuff like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones on HBO) where something like r*** is a reality and/or unavoidable consequence for women.

Yes Martins use of ****, sex and violence is his version of "adult content" is a crutch if I've ever seen one.

Quote:

Watching the trailer for the new Tomb Raider I got the impression that they were taking a more realistic/survivalist approach to the genre, which I would consider a welcome change.
I'm completely fine with a realistic/survivalist approach to any game.

Quote:

Like the character is designed specifically for the gamer to **** off too without having to deal with all the
Yes instead of Lara Croft now being a super model she looks like an American Apparel model. Is Lollypop Chainsaw super misogynistic as well?

Quote:

So back to the trailer, when Lara is trying to slip past the Gregor Clegaine henchman-type mercenaries and gets caught, what occurs is a natural escalation. It's not you that gets to be the knight in shining armour that steps in to save her, she fights back on her own and all you can do is cheer her on. So personally I have no idea where this is supposed to create some "sick caveman mentality where you want to protect little Lara". How exactly are these events supposed to play out? Should reality be avoided so the gamer can continue to play Indiana Jones but instead of Indy have a sexy babe onscreen?

Main Developer on Tomb Radier:

You aren't supposed to identify with the main character you aren't supposed to want to be her(heaven forbid someone wants to be a women). You're supposed to want to help her and be the protector. Don't want women to feel as if they have had someone designed for them that they can relate to directly or men to have someone they can treat as a subject rather of an object. But she's an object that is supposed to be helped and patronized through her struggles.

Its very patronizing to say you're the caring boyfriend for the fragile woman that can't do anything except get beat up and stabbed. I'm sure women just want to stimulate awful times and have that be a game for women but that sure as hell wasn't what Lara Croft used to be.

I think there is great merit in what they're trying to do and I am not qualified to speak on if they're making a qualified female protagonist for people. But I would say Tomb Raider isn't a series people play to gain insight on the suffering of the human condition.

If anything when it comes to games like this I have a bigger problem with games that provide narration at every turn of the game. It'd be nice if the developers had a bit more subtlety with dialogue tools but they obviously lack the skill of actually creating compelling scenes (see David Cage).

On a side note I'm not trying to say I'm speaking for women.

DJyellow 03-05-2013 09:12 AM

bought and installed the game through steam. can't wait to pay it tonight :yo:

BeBen* 03-05-2013 09:40 AM

It's awesome.

Couple bugs here and there but the game saves often enough that it's not a problem at all

The platforming is above average, very responsive i like it, been going 100% Bow and it handles awesome

AI is ok, nothing special but the cover system really makes this game

and Lara's hair with TressFX on is so cool though it turns blond in dark places which is kinda weird but i've never seen anything like it

Game's pretty demanding, i couldn't play in Eyefinity cause i was getting less than 30 frames per second on Ultimate and had to run it at normal which is unacceptable

But on a single monitor it runs great on my 7970 GHz on Ultimate, lots of options too, good port as always by these guys

Welp going back at it, not going to bed till it's finished

BeBen* 03-05-2013 12:51 PM

So i just finished it, 11 hours according to Steam

Congratulations, you've completed the story with an overall game completion of 74%

Great ****ing game, 9/10 easy

Telos 03-05-2013 03:18 PM

LoL, that was fast... I'll get around to it sooner or later, pre-ordered it, just been busy, looks great though.

Wheatley 03-05-2013 06:34 PM

Extremely disappointed with Uncharted, and this looks like a lamer version of that.

Plus apparently it's only 11 hours long?

Lol. Pass.

awesomo 03-05-2013 06:57 PM

11hrs!?

Will wait for price drop

straka91* 03-05-2013 09:20 PM

Loving it so far, I really wouldnt call it an outright Uncharted clone though. Its 3rd person action/adventure but it reminds me more of Far Cry 3 and the show Lost. Its like saying Halo 3 is a clone of MW2. The Bow is awesome in this game btw. I think 11 hours is pretty good for 60 bucks considering most campaigns are under 6 hours. 8/10 so far. Only thing bugging me is the retarded action sequences involving the button Y on 360. Took me a while to get it down.

One Man Rock Band 03-05-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeBen (Post 61008311)
So i just finished it, 11 hours according to Steam

Congratulations, you've completed the story with an overall game completion of 74%

Great ****ing game, 9/10 easy

And you make fun of me for playing Uncharted.

Tomb Raider is nearly an exact replica of the Uncharted games.

Actually, it looks like Tomb Raider lifted the multiplayer straight from Uncharted 3. :laugh:

Loving Tomb Raider so far though. Just fantastic.

straka91* 03-06-2013 02:27 PM

Uncharted copied Tomb Raider first... Its only fair Square Enix returns the favor. ;)

Stories 03-06-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crims0nBLADEZ91 (Post 61104361)
Uncharted copied Tomb Raider first... Its only fair Square Enix returns the favor. ;)

But Uncharted didn't really copy Tomb Raider. Uncharted is more like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider. With an emphasis on the shooting. Uncharted has nearly no exploration.

Zeroknowledge* 03-06-2013 03:23 PM

Amazing game, kinda bummed that I haven't touched it since Franchise hockey manager(beta) came out but I'll end up by finishing it.

BeBen* 03-07-2013 04:01 AM

17.2 hours 100% completion

Didn't touch the multiplayer at all, no interest in it really