HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Sanding down ABS blade. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1242815)

kr580 08-07-2012 01:41 PM

Sanding down ABS blade.

I bought an ABS blade for concrete/asphalt use but I couldn't find a blade that came in my preferred pattern so I got one with a square toe. Would it be a bad idea to sand it down to more of a rounded toe? Would that mess with the integrity of the blade?

I'm used to composite where you can crack it just about anywhere and the blade goes soft. Not sure if that's the case with ABS as well.

esidebill 08-07-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 53354495)
I bought an ABS blade for concrete/asphalt use but I couldn't find a blade that came in my preferred pattern so I got one with a square toe. Would it be a bad idea to sand it down to more of a rounded toe? Would that mess with the integrity of the blade?

I'm used to composite where you can crack it just about anywhere and the blade goes soft. Not sure if that's the case with ABS as well.

I could be wrong, but I think the blades are semi-hollow inside.

mhkehoe 08-07-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 53354495)

Completely okay to do. The perk of the ABS blades is that they are meant to wear down. Since Reebok took over the Koho ABS production, I've loved the P44 Hedman curve except the square toe, so I just sand it into the shape I want.

AIREAYE 08-07-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhkehoe (Post 53366127)
Completely okay to do. The perk of the ABS blades is that they are meant to wear down. Since Reebok took over the Koho ABS production, I've loved the P44 Hedman curve except the square toe, so I just sand it into the shape I want.

Mmm, not okay for some ABS blades. There are blades which have an outer wrap of fiberglass (Easton ABS) while others are simply moulded ABS (Reebok). If you sand the ones with an outside wrap, the ABS will shatter more easily on the inside.

mhkehoe 08-08-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 53373291)
Mmm, not okay for some ABS blades. There are blades which have an outer wrap of fiberglass (Easton ABS) while others are simply moulded ABS (Reebok). If you sand the ones with an outside wrap, the ABS will shatter more easily on the inside.

It should be fine unless the fiberglass separates from the ABS when sanding.

And the new Easton ABS look like they are built like the older Easton blades, and may not be as prone to the fiberglass separating (even without sanding).

AIREAYE 08-08-2012 01:21 AM

All 3 of mine have de-laminated from normal wear. It's actually pretty easy to seperate the fiberglass with your fingers after the initial bottom layer has worn away.

kr580 08-08-2012 01:41 AM

The blade in question is a Reebok 2K ABS. I actually used it today and it wasn't that bad so I might not sand it anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Bob Kudelski 08-08-2012 09:51 AM

Just play with the square toe. It will get naturally sanded down just from using it on concrete and will only last you about 5-10 games before the blade becomes about 2 inches thick and you need a new one.

AIREAYE 08-08-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 53375731)
The blade in question is a Reebok 2K ABS. I actually used it today and it wasn't that bad so I might not sand it anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Does it have a sort of surface rough honeycomb pattern on it? If so, then it might be the same as the old Reebok 1K blade; that thing was a tank and might not be a huge risk to sand down.

kr580 08-09-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 53380039)
Does it have a sort of surface rough honeycomb pattern on it? If so, then it might be the same as the old Reebok 1K blade; that thing was a tank and might not be a huge risk to sand down.

It looks like a straight crosshatch pattern.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1...8232357114.jpg

AIREAYE 08-09-2012 10:34 AM

Ahh, I dunno then, never took a good look at it in person.