HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: The Premier League (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1242971)

Terrier 08-07-2012 04:53 PM

OT: The Premier League
 
The new season is less than two weeks away, and now that we're done panning the new United kits, a couple of items:

Usain Bolt wants a crack at playing for United. Perhaps he should try Sporting KC first, a la Ochocinco(or whatever his name is today).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-United.html


Will RVP end up on either side of Manchester?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...an-Persie.html

Terrier 08-11-2012 03:27 PM

Roberto Mancini is trying some tactical pessimism, having missed out on major transfer targets. The Community Shield is tomorrow, live on Fox Soccer at 8:30 a.m.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/p...-united-081112

Mancini0518 08-11-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 53363001)
The new season is less than two weeks away, and now that we're done panning the new United kits, a couple of items:

Usain Bolt wants a crack at playing for United. Perhaps he should try Sporting KC first, a la Ochocinco(or whatever his name is today).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-United.html


Will RVP end up on either side of Manchester?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...an-Persie.html

I think Bolt would have more of a chance than you think. Mostly because of the debt that MU has and their less than stellar IPO. The publicity and revenue that Bolt would bring to the team would be huge even he is only a reserve. I could see it for that reason only

NORY 08-12-2012 06:30 AM

With the Community Shield game about an hour away I was thinking about an idea for hockey. To kick off the start of the NHL season why not have the Stanley Cup Champs face the President Trophy Champs in a pre-season game. They could have it in a neutral arena (like a none NHL market) and even make a cup/trophy for it. I know I get really hype for the Community Shield because it feels like an opening ceremony for the Premier League. Do you think it could have the same effect for the NHL? I feel it would be fun this year with the Kings and Nucks facing eachother.

Terrier 08-13-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORY (Post 53500261)
With the Community Shield game about an hour away I was thinking about an idea for hockey. To kick off the start of the NHL season why not have the Stanley Cup Champs face the President Trophy Champs in a pre-season game. They could have it in a neutral arena (like a none NHL market) and even make a cup/trophy for it. I know I get really hype for the Community Shield because it feels like an opening ceremony for the Premier League. Do you think it could have the same effect for the NHL? I feel it would be fun this year with the Kings and Nucks facing eachother.


Much of the proceeds from the Community Shield go to the charitable arms of the participating clubs, so a similar matchup during the hockey preseason might be an interesting idea. As a match, the Shield rarely disappoints, that's for sure.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-City-3.html

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 08-13-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancini0518 (Post 53487859)
I think Bolt would have more of a chance than you think. Mostly because of the debt that MU has and their less than stellar IPO. The publicity and revenue that Bolt would bring to the team would be huge even he is only a reserve. I could see it for that reason only

With his speed his first touch will be his only touch.

If he is good with his head... who knows because Man Us players could put it right there for him.

Personally my guess is he's too attrocious for it to work. BUt in a side with such skilled players who will pass him the ball perfectly if his first touches can be "average" when he gets service either on the wings or in the middle he could be OK.

He had a better chance of doing well in a team like Man U than an MLS team.

Also he won't be playing 90 minutes so when he comes on as a sub he'll be all over the pitch and will get back to defend you'll see him given orders to run around like a mad man and he might be able to do it well. Don't underestimate the calibur off athlete compensating for his lack of ability it could keep the embarrassment factor lower than you think.

He probably would be too bad though his marking would suck despite the speed and guys would still go past him and even simple passes he'd screw up. I just wanted to play devils advocate for a little.

N o o d l e s 08-13-2012 10:16 AM

Can't believe the new season is already starting. I saw an ad on tv for the opening of the Premier league season and I didn't even realize it started Aug. 19. Crazy to see how short of a break they get, especially with the Euros.

Terrier 08-14-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N O O D L E S (Post 53529849)
Can't believe the new season is already starting. I saw an ad on tv for the opening of the Premier league season and I didn't even realize it started Aug. 19. Crazy to see how short of a break they get, especially with the Euros.


Just curious, since your location is Quincy, did you hang out at Bad Abbots? I never visited but it was well known as a Celtic supporters spot. I've been playing hockey at QYH for years.


P.S. USA-Mexico "friendly" on Wednesday, live from the Azteca, 8 p.m. on ESPN2.

BergyDGD 08-14-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 53363001)
The new season is less than two weeks away, and now that we're done panning the new United kits, a couple of items:

Usain Bolt wants a crack at playing for United. Perhaps he should try Sporting KC first, a la Ochocinco(or whatever his name is today).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-United.html


Will RVP end up on either side of Manchester?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...an-Persie.html

Damn it I am getting so sick of the RVP saga. Will it just end already? I am eagerly awaiting the start of the new season, definitely looking forward to seeing how Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla fit at Arsenal.

Johnnyduke 08-14-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N O O D L E S (Post 53529849)
Can't believe the new season is already starting. I saw an ad on tv for the opening of the Premier league season and I didn't even realize it started Aug. 19. Crazy to see how short of a break they get, especially with the Euros.

Has there ever been talk about compacting the schedule, shortening the schedule or anything like that to give these guys a bigger break?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 53526905)
Much of the proceeds from the Community Shield go to the charitable arms of the participating clubs, so a similar matchup during the hockey preseason might be an interesting idea. As a match, the Shield rarely disappoints, that's for sure.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-City-3.html

Is there any type of sports comparison you'd compare the Shield to? It doesn't count for the upcoming season, but it certainly seems more than some meaningless exhibition. It's taken pretty seriously by both sides, no?

BergyDGD 08-15-2012 03:59 PM

RVP to Man U. Sucks but glad it's over. Hope he remembers these wordshttp://i.imgur.com/WwtKf.jpg forgot to put the link http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...-man-u?cc=5901

N o o d l e s 08-15-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 53557583)
Just curious, since your location is Quincy, did you hang out at Bad Abbots? I never visited but it was well known as a Celtic supporters spot. I've been playing hockey at QYH for years.


P.S. USA-Mexico "friendly" on Wednesday, live from the Azteca, 8 p.m. on ESPN2.

I actually have been to Bad Abbots once or twice, but not a hangout place of mine. That's cool though, that rinks not bad. Most kids from Quincy play there or at Shea.

Gator Mike 08-15-2012 10:23 PM

Wow. U.S. shocks Mexico at the Estadio Azteca 1-0 on a goal by Michael Orozco-Fiscal:


BergyDGD 08-15-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator Mike (Post 53614383)
Wow. U.S. shocks Mexico at the Estadio Azteca 1-0 on a goal by Michael Orozco-Fiscal:


Awesome game, and even though it was a friendly an epic win for US Soccer. Proud of the boys tonight! :clap:

Gator Mike 08-16-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin (Post 53615031)
Awesome game, and even though it was a friendly an epic win for US Soccer. Proud of the boys tonight! :clap:

Definitely.

First US win in Mexico in 75 years. They'd been outscored 81-14 in their previous 24 matches in Mexico. They were 0-8-1 at the Azteca. Until tonight.

Brilliant.

C77 08-16-2012 09:40 AM

Good to see the U.S. finally win one at Azteca. I thought they were going to win a couple years ago when they went ahead 2-0 there but it didn't happen.

I watched some of the Italy vs England friendly. Johnson was a good player for England and I liked Ogbonna for Italy.

There are some things that Italy did that were fun to watch like defending with two players coming from different directions. A few times on the left side of the Italian defense in the first half an English player had the ball and the first Italian defender was making sure that the English player couldn't beat him to the end line and then the other Italian came in from the central part of the field and challenged the player with the ball.

I think Italy got in trouble a bit with the defenders trying to make plays out of the back in situations where other teams would just kick the ball away. As a fan I'll take those mistakes from the young players as they are maturing. To me it's much better to see than watching defenders panic and just smash the ball out of play. However, when it works it's wonderful to watch, two quick passes and the pressure is off and the break could be on.

Also I liked the use of space that the Italians did when under pressure they would pass the ball back to the left back because the players are good enough technically and confident enough to do it that it becomes a high percentage play.

BergyDGD 08-17-2012 09:55 PM

Everyone ready for the start of the season? GO GUNNERS!!!

Terrier 08-18-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin (Post 53668997)
Everyone ready for the start of the season? GO GUNNERS!!!


Arsenal 0, Sunderland 0

No breakthrough at the Emirates today, and news broke afterwards confirming Alex Song's switch to Barca.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...derland-0.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-official.html


West Brom 3, Liverpool 0

Just what Fenway Sports Group needed today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ighlights.html

Saxon Eric 08-18-2012 02:47 PM

Liverpool in the relegation zone!:sarcasm:

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 08-18-2012 03:54 PM

GOOD LUCK ALL OF YA! :handclap:

My team had a big win today:yo:


This year is wide open. Man U and Man C are ahead of everyone and it looks like 3-20 is a crapshoot :nod:.


Good luck to everyones teams and enjoy the season.

BergyDGD 08-18-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 53681363)
Arsenal 0, Sunderland 0

No breakthrough at the Emirates today, and news broke afterwards confirming Alex Song's switch to Barca.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...derland-0.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-official.html


West Brom 3, Liverpool 0

Just what Fenway Sports Group needed today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ighlights.html

Well the day just gets better and better if you're a Gooner, at least we're 1 point ahead of Spurs:sarcasm:

EverettMike 08-18-2012 05:26 PM

BILLION DOLLAR IDEA ALERT!

Americans don't like watching **** that isn't "the best."

That is why MLS will never truly take off in this country, because everyone knows it is a second or third class soccer league.

So, how can we get behind a Premier League team?

Simple: an American billionaire buys a team in Ireland, loads it up with as many American stars as possible, and markets the team to America. Boom, now the whole 300+ million US population has a team to get behind in the best league in the world.

TAKING: Suggestions for the new team name.

BergyDGD 08-18-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverettMike (Post 53684599)
BILLION DOLLAR IDEA ALERT!

Americans don't like watching **** that isn't "the best."

That is why MLS will never truly take off in this country, because everyone knows it is a second or third class soccer league.

So, how can we get behind a Premier League team?

Simple: an American billionaire buys a team in Ireland, loads it up with as many American stars as possible, and markets the team to America. Boom, now the whole 300+ million US population has a team to get behind in the best league in the world.

TAKING: Suggestions for the new team name.

Would be a good idea if the League of Ireland Premier Division was any better than MLS. Anyway just name the team the Bruins!

bruinsden 08-18-2012 10:41 PM

Fulham with an awesome game to start the season. I am hoping that was us being good and not Norwich being bad.

GarbageGoal 08-19-2012 12:26 PM

Shouldn't this be the Liverpool thread?

Carry on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.