HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Spin a good old hockey yarn! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=124309)

Form and Substance 01-17-2005 01:50 PM

Spin a good old hockey yarn!

Don't know if this thread will work, but anyone know of any lurid and fun stories about hockey players? Any pulp?
No John Kordic or Bryan Fogarty please, we've read and heard aplenty

Chili 01-17-2005 02:12 PM

"One day early in the 1975-76 season, after years of glory with the Boston Bruins, Phil Esposito was called in to meet with legendary Bruins coach Don Cherry. Cherry reluctantly told Esposito that he was being traded to another team. "Okay," Esposito replied, "but if you say New York [Rangers], I'm going to jump out that window." Cherry's reply? "Bobby," he said, turning to an assistant, "open the window."

lots more here

newf 01-19-2005 09:37 AM

i heard cherry say that story on HNIC. bobby was actually bobby orr.

hfboardsuser 01-19-2005 12:26 PM

I heartell that the Big E once called Elvis Stojko a *** or some such thing at either a house party or a bar- I've heard two versions. Anyways, Stojko gave Lindros a black eye.

Chili 01-19-2005 01:09 PM

Anyone else remember this one from a few years back?

"During a game against the Colorado Avalanche one night (in Colorado), Chicago Blackhawks right winger Steve Sullivan was hit in the face by an errant puck. Adding insult to injury was an obnoxious fan in the stands who obnoxiously laughed at and mocked Sullivan for several minutes...
Some time later, Sullivan (having endured a dozen stitches and returned to the game) was amused to see Avalanche goaltender Patrick Roy accidentally clear the puck over the boards, giving the Blackhawks a two-minute power play (for delay of game) while simultaneously doling out a dollop of poetic justice: the puck, incredibly, hit the obnoxious fan in the face!"

I seem to remember Sullivan skating by the fan after, poetic justice indeed.

pei fan 01-19-2005 02:01 PM

Tiger Williams apparently thought Errol Thompson was too soft especially because
he would never fight.Williams apparently didn't keep his views much of a secret
buy finally once went overboard when in the dressing room he called Thompson
a f_gg_t(or something to that extent).The story goes that when Thompson hit
him he fell like a tree(knees didn't bend)and it took several minutes to bring
Williams to consciousness.

mcphee 01-19-2005 04:22 PM

In one of Larry Robinson's last years with Mtl. he went quite a while before scoring his first goal, maybe 30 games in or so, I'm not sure exactly. He finally got one and I guess some of the players had been riding him a bit. Someone picked up the puck and brought it to him on the bench afterwards [might of been Chelios] . The camera was square on Larry's face when he smiled looked at the guy and gave the audience a chance to lip read ' f you'. Gotta love a guy that doesn't take himself too seriously .

Lard_Lad 01-20-2005 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pei fan
Tiger Williams apparently thought Errol Thompson was too soft especially because
he would never fight.Williams apparently didn't keep his views much of a secret
buy finally once went overboard when in the dressing room he called Thompson
a f_gg_t(or something to that extent).The story goes that when Thompson hit
him he fell like a tree(knees didn't bend)and it took several minutes to bring
Williams to consciousness.

Never heard that one, and it sounds vaguely like the cover story for the time Dunc Wilson broke his hand while drunk - the Leafs spread a rumor that it had actually occurred when he got into a fight with Tiger, his road roommate, and punched him in the jaw, hard enough to break his hand. Doesn't seem to be much of a PR improvement to me, but I guess at the time brawling with teammates was less of a negative than drinking too much.

kmad 01-20-2005 01:48 AM

In the early 90s, the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1

I think after winning the Selke trophy this year, Draper mailed $1 to the former owner of the Jets

Not 100% certain on this, though

Hobey Baker 01-20-2005 10:58 PM

Not sure if this is good enough or not. Tom Barrasso was quite a hothead during his early years in Buffalo. One night, after disagreeing with a call made by Kerry Fraser, Barasso skates out to the face off circle, leans over to say something to Fraser and ends the exchange by taking of his glove and popping the bird to the surprised ref. He held it out for a good five seconds or so. At least Barrasso had his batting glove on...maybe that was a censor...Regardless, a classic ** from player to ref.

(lone)Yashinfan#79 01-24-2005 01:05 PM

this one doesn't involve a player so much as it is just putrid fan behavior at its comedic zenith--

circa '89, MSG, blue seats... canadian then american national anthems taking place...
the row in front of us contains what appears to be a first father/son sports outing, boy appeared to be no older than 4...it's a heartwarming portrait of familial bonding, the young boy's hand on his heart, father likewise...
no sooner than the nat'l anthem ends and applause subsides when this very same father screams out at the top of his lungs, "C'MON MALLETTE, KICK SOMEBODY'S F`#*n ASS!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Don't know if this thread will work, but anyone know of any lurid and fun stories about hockey players? Any pulp?
No John Kordic or Bryan Fogarty please, we've read and heard aplenty

(lone)Yashinfan#79 01-24-2005 01:10 PM

actually, here's one that was passed down by Shawn Burr-

during his very first game against Montreal, he was lined up opposite Guy Lafleur... after the puck drop, Burr gave Lafleur a nudge, nothing major, but Larry Robinson skated up on him and just floored him on his face and said, "don't EVER touch him again.."

Moon Man* 01-24-2005 04:33 PM

I remember quite a few from some of Dick Irvin's and other books... Feel free to correct me if I get it wrong but...

word has it Jacques Plante was the biggest tightwad in NHL history. On road trips, when a bunch of Habs went out to the bars, they used to buy rounds and go around the table as each man had his turn buying for the team. Jacques had a habit of jumping up and leaving just before his turn. On one trip, he felt a heavy palm on his shoulder (I wish I could remember who it was) and was told he'll be buying for the night. He didn't go out with the team after that :D

This thread has definite possibilities...

c-carp 01-24-2005 05:01 PM

Grapes has tons of good stories, If you look at THN's yearbook for this year he tells a story about Terry O Reilly hitting Harold Philipov (I dont have the magazine in front of me so the name may be wrong) anyway the guy had made O Reilly mad for just hanging on in a scrap and O Reilly caught him with a check and the guy was convulsing on the ice and the players were actually worried if he was OK and Grapes said to O"Reilly "Dont worry he will be OK" O Reilly replied "Grapes I really dont give a ****" to me that is classic.

c-carp 01-24-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
I heartell that the Big E once called Elvis Stojko a *** or some such thing at either a house party or a bar- I've heard two versions. Anyways, Stojko gave Lindros a black eye.

I heard that Stojko kicked Matt Barnaby's ass. Dont know if it is true though. They got into an aguement at a wedding that they both attended in the story that I heard

Chili 01-24-2005 07:59 PM

I've been to a number of NHL drafts and I recommend them to any fan. Anyone who is anyone is hockey is there and you will usually run into a few (i.e. draft I made the mistake of running into Gilles Lupien, literally...).

Ibelieve it was the 1983 draft and it was down to the last two picks of the second round , the Flyers and the Bruins. The Flyers picked Peter Zezel and you could hear Harry Sinden calling out "that's who we were going to pick!". The Bruins took Greg Johnston who played some games with the B's but never really stuck in the NHL. Meanwhile Zezel went on to have a pretty good career. I often wonder how often that happens. I.e. teams are accused of drafting poorly, when they may have identified some good prospects but they just weren't there when their pick came up.

Form and Substance 01-24-2005 09:55 PM

Harold Ballard has some good stories. Bobby Hull was drilling shots during practice and one of them ricoched into the stands, ripped through Ballard's newspaper and smashed his nose. Next game, Ballard shows up in the dressing room catwalk yelling "look Bobby, we oughta make a nice photo together!".He was henceforth chased out of the premise by the head coach (Tommy Ivan?) with a pad

Air 01-24-2005 10:20 PM

Here's one story I *don't* want to know:

Bobby Hull's broken false teeth sold for $575.96 at an auction held by Classic Collectibles in Canada. The plate, bought by an anonymous Montreal collector, features a trio of front teeth and an outrageous lost-and-found story. Hull is quoted as saying he lost it not to one of Gordie Howe's elbows but "during a bedroom romp in a Geneva, Switzerland hotel in the late 1950s."

mcphee 01-25-2005 09:40 AM

More of a personal story than a hockey story but it always made me laugh. My father in law was a Gordie Howe fanatic. He told his kids that when he was stationned in Western Canada in the military, he met Howe and they got to be friends. When I met my wife in the mid 70's she mentionned this to me and I thought about it and realized the dates didn't match. Her father was in Manitoba, not Saskatchewan, it was the early 50's as he served in Korea. Howe was already in Detroit by then. She realized her father had made it up and he just shrugged it off when she asked him about it. In the late 80's, a book cam e out called After The Applause about the lives of some ex players and what retirement was like for them. Richard,Howe,Hull and Beliveau did the national tour and autographed books. My brother got one signed for our father as a gift. I bought one for my father in law, and my wife, a decent artist with some forgery abilities, did the autographs along with a note from Gordie about how you shouldn't lie to your kids. The old man was horrified that we ratted him out to his hero. We never did set the record straight.