HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Prospect Info: Prospect poll, 2012: #14 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1243489)

Crazy_Ike 08-08-2012 07:20 PM

Prospect poll, 2012: #14

You know, as I do this a day late because I fell asleep at 7pm yesterday, I find myself asking why I got into the golf course business as someone who hates early mornings, hates when the weather is too hot, and hates bugs.

But, complaining aside, the winner of lucky #13 is hard luck prospect Ben Smith who had a great shot at forging an NHL career only to have it take three steps back through injuries and ineffective play during his chance. Still, he will probably play more NHL games than three quarters of this list.

Ben Smith

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/blackhawks/ima...ooking-600.jpg

#1: Brandon Saad, LW (81.82%)
#2: Teuvo Teravainen, LW/C (59.62%)
#3: Mark McNeill, C (48.00%)
#4: Jeremy Morin, LW (36.84%)
#5: Dylan Olsen, D (40.74%)
#6: Phillip Danault, C (44.12%)
#7: Brandon Pirri, C (41.86%)
#8: Kyle Beach, LW (30.19%)
#9: Adam Clendening, D (43.75%)
#10: Stephen Johns, D (27.78%)
#11: Kevin Hayes, RW (50.00%)
#12: Jimmy Hayes, RW (55.17%)
#13: Ben Smith, RW/LW (28.57%)

On to #14. Two days to vote, but you may, of course, spend as many days as you wish arguing over who deserves more votes as our #14 prospect since this one could be literally any of them.

http://i.imgur.com/zpzlw.gif

HockeySensible 08-08-2012 07:24 PM

Fournier.. Dillon Fournier.

BBH 08-08-2012 07:30 PM

Mr. Holl.

Hawkaholic 08-08-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 53397267)
Fournier.. Dillon Fournier.

Again.

AmericanDream 08-08-2012 10:01 PM

Calnan.

Best homerun swing we have...kid is a physical freak, and hasnt scratched the surface of his ability...

got a feeling come next year, people will be talking about Calnan as a top 10 prospect instead of outside the top 15...

UsernameWasTaken 08-08-2012 10:04 PM

Whitney again.

brtriad 08-08-2012 10:05 PM

Calnan has the best potential of anyone left.

Bubba88 08-09-2012 01:32 AM

Fournier

and since we haven't seen them much... why do you think would the Hawks take Fournier over Calnan at the draft when Calnan is the better prospect/player?

brtriad 08-09-2012 01:46 AM

Why do you think we took Ludvig Rensfeldt in the second and they didn't even sign him to an ELC? Why was our 5th round draft pick playing before anyone else from the class? Draft position means little to nothing.

RomersWorld* 08-09-2012 02:09 AM

Yeah, seriously. Our GM was the guy who passed over Saad 3 times before finally drafting him and now he is our #1 draft pick. I wonder if you said the same thing last year about Saad.

I do think it is close between Fournier and Calnan. I would have both over the recently chosen Smith though. They both were ranked around the same by many scouting services so lets not act like Fournier was a consensus top 50 pick because he certainly wasn't. Some scouts probably favored Calnan over Fournier just like many here do.

I do think Fournier is a bit underrated because there was so much arguably better talent available. But he does have potential as he has good size and is a good skater. He hopefully has a breakout season like Wings' 2nd rounder Xavier Ouellet did last year in the QMJHL. He had similar stats to Fournier but really exploded. Plus Fournier's team was really bad so that could be 1 factor as well. Hopefully the Hawks' scouts are right.

Either way, it is close between Calnan and Fournier whether you want to admit or not. Calnan looks to be a physical and athletic player with size. He is further away from the NHL but his potential is great. We'll see how he does in the USHL this year(hopefully that is what he chooses).

Bubba88 08-09-2012 06:36 AM

that's 2 years after being drafted. Right now, I think that Fournier has the higher upside and is a better prospect. Can't compare what happens 2 years after the draft and 2 months after the draft

clydesdale line 08-09-2012 07:59 AM

Fournier has been highly thought of for quite some time now. Definitely has the best potential out of any forward/D left. (even though personally I believe Calnan has the better shot of making it/safest bet, but he's next on my personal list)

So ya.. Fournier for sure for me.

Hawkaholic 08-09-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 53407423)
Yeah, seriously. Our GM was the guy who passed over Saad 3 times before finally drafting him and now he is our #1 draft pick. I wonder if you said the same thing last year about Saad.

Big difference, there was a full season played between when Saad was drafted and when we did this list. No hockey has been played since Fournier and Calnan were selected.

Both are close in my book, but obviously the Hawks see more potential in Fournier than Calnan at this point.

DisgruntledHawkFan 08-09-2012 10:31 AM

Calnan. Like his physical gifts.

Blackhawkswincup 08-09-2012 11:27 AM

Dahlbeck

Safe potential and a guy who with his SEL experience is closer to NHL then anyone else on this list

No Fun Shogun 08-09-2012 11:40 AM

Calnan

Judrix 08-09-2012 01:31 PM

tough between Dahlbeck and Fournier. Fournier is as slick a skater as they come, he's basically Leddy, he needs to work on his defensive game.

Dahlbeck is the complete opposite, solid defensive d-man with no offensive game. He's listed a 6'2 190 so he has the frame to not get pushed around.

The fact that these two guys are around our #14 best prospects speaks volumes of our deep pool.

RomersWorld* 08-09-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkaholic (Post 53411647)
Big difference, there was a full season played between when Saad was drafted and when we did this list. No hockey has been played since Fournier and Calnan were selected.

Both are close in my book, but obviously the Hawks see more potential in Fournier than Calnan at this point.

Oh really? Ok well let us look at this...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=982111

That is last years hockey prospect poll finish...BEFORE any games played

#9 - Brandon Saad (43rd overall)
#15 - Phillip Danault (26th overall)
#16 - Adam Clendening (36th overall)
#24 - Andrew Shaw (139th overall)
#25 - Klas Dahlbeck (79th overall)

Were people idiotic for putting Saad over Danault and Clendening? Seems like it since no hockey was played and Clendening and Danault were drafted ahead of Saad.

Also was stupid to put Andrew Shaw above Klas Dahlbeck. Dahlbeck was drafted 3rd round, 79th overall and Shaw was drafted 5th round, 139th overall. Seems foolish to consider him a better player than mr. Dahlbeck. Especially since both are the same age and overagers.

Also you can't act like every team had Fournier on their list head of Calnan just because the Blackhawks did. As I said before, many scouting services had Calnan over Fournier and I'm sure other NHL teams did as well. You act like the draft is cut and dry when the lists of NHL teams are completely different. Do you think Hampus Lindholm was really #6 overall on most NHL teams' lists? Bob McKenzie's list which surveys scouts for NHL teams had Lindholm 15th overall. Or Derrick Pouliot who was around 15(and finished 17th overall on the scouts list) the entire time and then gets drafted 8th overall out of nowhere because Pittsburgh traded Staal and got the pick. The lists are usually all over the place and I'd be willing to bet quite a few teams had Calnan over Fournier. That is why choosing him is acceptable. You make it seem crazy like picking a 5th rounder Andrew Shaw over a 3rd rounder, Klas Dahlbeck...oh wait.

Sarava 08-09-2012 02:01 PM

Not only did Shaw fall all the way to 24 (he actually tied for #23 with Froese), but we got flamed by some for voting for him at #23 because that was too high for a bad prospect like him :laugh: