HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1967-68 habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12435)

kelholtz 09-18-2003 09:49 PM

1967-68 habs

hey, i was wondering if somebody could help me out with the 68 habs roster. i have the numbers of the players and obviously the players names but i don't have the positions. here is the roster i have:

1 * WORSLEY , LORNE Height 5.07 -- Weight 155
2 * LAPERRIERE , JACQUES D Height 6.02 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots L
3 TREMBLAY , JEAN-CLAUDE
4 * BELIVEAU , JEAN C Height 6.03 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots L
5 * TREMBLAY , GILLES LW Height 5.10 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots L
6 BACKSTROM , RALPH
8 DUFF , DICK
10 HARRIS , TED
11 LAROSE , CLAUDE
12 * COURNOYER , YVAN F Height 5.07 -- Weight 172
14 * PROVOST , CLAUDE RW Height 5.09 -- Weight 175
15 * ROUSSEAU , ROBERT RW Height 5.10 -- Weight 178 -- Shoots R
16 * RICHARD , HENRI F Height 5.07 -- Weight 160
17 VADNAIS , CAROL
18 * SAVARD , SERGE D Height 6.03 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L
19 HARPER , TERRY
20 MONAHAN , GARY
22 * FERGUSON , JOHN RW Height 6.00 -- Weight 178 -- Shoots L
23 GRANT , DANNY
24 REDMOND , MICKEY
25 * LEMAIRE , JACQUES F Height 5.11 -- Weight 180
26 WATSON , BRYAN
29 WAKELY , ERNIE
30 * VACHON , ROGATIEN Height 5.08 -- Weight 160 -- Shoots L

does anybody know these players positions?

thanks for the help if you do.

Gros Bill 09-19-2003 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelholtz
hey, i was wondering if somebody could help me out with the 68 habs roster. i have the numbers of the players and obviously the players names but i don't have the positions. does anybody know these players positions?

thanks for the help if you do.

To the best of my recollection :

1 * WORSLEY , LORNE : G
2 * LAPERRIERE , JACQUES D
3 TREMBLAY , JEAN-CLAUDE D
4 * BELIVEAU , JEAN C
5 * TREMBLAY , GILLES LW
6 BACKSTROM , RALPH C
8 DUFF , DICK W
10 HARRIS , TED D
11 LAROSE , CLAUDE W
12 * COURNOYER , YVAN RW
14 * PROVOST , CLAUDE RW
15 * ROUSSEAU , ROBERT RW
16 * RICHARD , HENRI C
17 VADNAIS , CAROL D
18 * SAVARD , SERGE D
19 HARPER , TERRY D
20 MONAHAN , GARY
22 * FERGUSON , JOHN RW ?? I thiught he was a LW
23 GRANT , DANNY W
24 REDMOND , MICKEY W
25 * LEMAIRE , JACQUES C
26 WATSON , BRYAN D
29 WAKELY , ERNIE ? G?
30 * VACHON , ROGATIEN G

mcphee 09-19-2003 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill
To the best of my recollection :

1 * WORSLEY , LORNE : G
2 * LAPERRIERE , JACQUES D
3 TREMBLAY , JEAN-CLAUDE D
4 * BELIVEAU , JEAN C
5 * TREMBLAY , GILLES LW
6 BACKSTROM , RALPH C
8 DUFF , DICK W LW
10 HARRIS , TED D
11 LAROSE , CLAUDE W RW
12 * COURNOYER , YVAN RW
14 * PROVOST , CLAUDE RW
15 * ROUSSEAU , ROBERT RW played some ctr.
16 * RICHARD , HENRI C
17 VADNAIS , CAROL D
18 * SAVARD , SERGE D
19 HARPER , TERRY D
20 MONAHAN , GARY c + lw
22 * FERGUSON , JOHN RW ?? I thiught he was a LW LW
23 GRANT , DANNY W LW
24 REDMOND , MICKEY W RW
25 * LEMAIRE , JACQUES C played some lw
26 WATSON , BRYAN D played some rw
29 WAKELY , ERNIE ? G?
30 * VACHON , ROGATIEN G

Any thread that mentions #19, The Harp is alright with me.

Gros Bill 09-19-2003 09:15 AM

Anyone else catch the Red Army game (dec 31st 1975) on TSN tuesday night? Flicking channels and I found it by chance. My wife knew right away she had lost control of the TV set. Quite a game, even if Terry Harper wasn't playing ...

mcphee 09-19-2003 09:38 AM

Bill, that game has my brother's claim to fame. He was there and at the final siren, he was struck with a sponge puck that someone at a higher level had tossed. My brother picked it up and threw it in the general direction of the ice. If you can get a tape of the game, you will notice that as the Russian players congratulate Tretiak, he stops and looks quickly to his left. Yes, my little brother hit the great Tretiak with a sponge puck. The kid had a good arm in those days. Another in the sordid history of my family.

Lowetide 09-19-2003 09:44 AM

I wasn't very old, and my Dad HATED Montreal, but I think this was their lineup barring injuries, C-LW-RW

Beliveau-Rousseau-Cournoyer
Backstrom-Tremblay-Provost
HRichard-Ferguson-Duff
Lemaire-Larose

They had lots of injuries and struggled, there was a few games where Lemaire centered (LW) Danny Grant and (RW) Mickey Redmond.

Very deep roster, here's the 1967 summer protected list, pullbacks and players lost:

PROTECTED LIST: Gump Worsley, JC Tremblay, Jacques Laperriere, Terry Harper, Ted Harris, Jean Beliveau, Ralph Backstrom, Henri Richard, Gilles Tremblay, John Ferguson, Yvan Cournoyer, Bobby Rousseau.

Habs were very worried about losing young RW Claude Larose, who had the strangest upright skating style I've ever seen. It was like he had a broom, anyway, he was a good young player and the Habs agree to send Andre Boudrias and some other players to Minnesota if they took Dave Balon first in the skaters draft.

PULLBACK LIST: Claude Larose, Claude Provost, Dick Duff, Carol Vadnais, Serge Savard, Danny Grant, Jacques Lemaire, Andre Boudrias, Mike McMahon, Bob Charlebois, Don Johns, Bill McCreary, Bill Plager, Leo Thiffault, Jim Paterson.

The rules of the expansion draft were each team could protect 11 skaters and one goalie. The first two rounds were for goalies, Habs protected Worsley, Seals took Charlie Hodge, Habs pulled back Rogie Vachon. They pulled back every round but the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds.

SELECTION LIST:

Charlie Hodge, G
Gary Bauman, G
Dave Balon, LW
Gord Laboissiere, C
Jimmy Roberts, C
Noel Picard, D
Jean Guy Talbot, D
Leon Rochefort, RW
Noel Price, D
Keith McCreary, LW
Joe Szura, C
Bob Lemieux, D
Garry Peters, C
Howie Hughes, RW
Billy Inglis, C
Jean Gauthier, D
Jacques Lemieux,D
Bob Courcy, RW
Tom McCarthy, LW
Bob Rivard, C

Incredible amount of talent, and a splendid job protecting it. Sam Pollock was incredible, and the talent procured was historic.

Gros Bill 09-19-2003 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Bill, that game has my brother's claim to fame. He was there and at the final siren, he was struck with a sponge puck that someone at a higher level had tossed. My brother picked it up and threw it in the general direction of the ice. If you can get a tape of the game, you will notice that as the Russian players congratulate Tretiak, he stops and looks quickly to his left. Yes, my little brother hit the great Tretiak with a sponge puck. The kid had a good arm in those days. Another in the sordid history of my family.

LOL, too bad your brother didn't score! Watching the game reminded of how incredibly talented we were on D back then. That really was the strength of the team. Robinson and Savard were incredible skaters, especially in view of their size. And ALWAYS on the puck, never a half moment for the attacker to set up. Sweeeeet!

mcphee 09-19-2003 11:27 AM

I can confirm that Plante played with the Jr. Canadiens at some point in the 60's and that they won. The way I remember it, the Russians dominated but Plante stole the game, I would think that the game was closer. There was a lopsided game, but possibly it wasn't the same game. In about 73 [?] the Jr.'s were playing a Russian team and they brought Robinson and another D[ can't remember who] up from Nova Scotia and the Jr.'s won. The game was notable because a Russian player made the mistake of hitting the blueline with his head down and Robinson levelled him. That game started his reputation.

mcphee 09-19-2003 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strummerman
Apparently the Junior Canadians played the Soviet National team in the 60's and they clobbered them like 9-0. The only ringer they had was that Jacques Plante played in nets. Can anyone confirm this.

Actually, the more I think about, you're right. They won 9-0 but Plante was actually the star of the game as strange as it sounds.

scosar 09-19-2003 04:01 PM

Vadnais

Carol Vadnais was a defenceman. He was part of the famous trade that sent Brad Park and Jean Ratelle to the bruins for him and Phil Esposito to the Rangers.

I posted this before, but everyone goes on about the 75 game because it ended in a tie. In 79 they had the rematch while the habs were stil the best in the NHL. I sat two rows behind the Russian bench and Gainey scored twice to lead the Habs to a 5-3 victory. Now that game was awesome. Tikanov called Gainey the best player in the world after that game.

tinyzombies 09-19-2003 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee

I have this game on tape and have written this down on a post-it.. though I am very drunk after a concert (yeah yeah yeahs)... i will get to teh bottom of this in the morning!