HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Line Combos: curiosity about line combo opinions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1243581)

roids99999 08-08-2012 09:56 PM

curiosity about line combo opinions

i've heard a lot of speculation about new possible line combos but one thing that keeps coming up which i personally hate is breaking up genos line. this year it was destructive all season they need to keep malkin, neal, and kunitz together

i personally want to see
Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Crosby, Kennedy
Cooke, Sutter, Jeffery
Adams, Vitale, Glass

Letang, Depres
Orpik, Niskanen
Engelland, Lovejoy

Theres a lot of cirticism about different lines on the d but the pens desperately need to trade paul martin for a stay at home blueliner to cover orpik when he decides to hit someone. People also hate that i have TK on the second line which in my own mind he and cooke could alternate because they both played exceptionally well with sid.

Ogrezilla 08-08-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roids99999 (Post 53403189)
i've heard a lot of speculation about new possible line combos but one thing that keeps coming up which i personally hate is breaking up genos line. this year it was destructive all season they need to keep malkin, neal, and kunitz together

i personally want to see
Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Crosby, Kennedy
Cooke, Sutter, Jeffery
Adams, Vitale, Glass

Letang, Depres
Orpik, Niskanen
Engelland, Lovejoy

Theres a lot of cirticism about different lines on the d but the pens desperately need to trade paul martin for a stay at home blueliner to cover orpik when he decides to hit someone. People also hate that i have TK on the second line which in my own mind he and cooke could alternate because they both played exceptionally well with sid.

you don't think Tangradi even makes the top 12? And no, we don't need to trade Martin. He's our 3rd best d-man (arguably 2nd) and the number 4 has a lot to prove before I'll even call it close.

SEALBound 08-08-2012 10:00 PM

Kennedy with Crosby...Martin traded in favor of Lovejoy. I gonna be sick...

roids99999 08-08-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEALBound (Post 53403273)
Kennedy with Crosby...Martin traded in favor of Lovejoy. I gonna be sick...

i know it makes a lot of my friends mad but tk is honestly the reason i like the pens granted geno pulled me in for the superstar but i like tks playing style. i will admit he only seems to put 1 out of every 10 shots on net but hes still fast enough to keep up with sid and hes a solid winger. last season with malkin and crosby out he put up a lot of numbers and stepped up when the team needed him. and with martin i hated his play it seemed really sloppy at the beginning of the season and i think he takes up way more cap space than hes worth. i wanted to keep michalek over him.

MichiganWolverines 08-08-2012 10:14 PM

I wish Craig Adams retired this season, he's a useless player. It was embarrassing last season seeing Eric Tangradi and Dustin Jeffery being scratched because of this guy.

Beauner 08-08-2012 10:16 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO

1) You don't give Crosby **** for wingers. He signed for basically the rest of his career, you don't play him with third liners. I'd also like to point out the one game where TK had Sid wide open coming down the slot and he chest sniped the goalie. Crosby was not amused. Forget the game but it happened.

2) Tangradi makes the top 12, for at least a month or two.

3) Trading Martin makes our defense even worse than it does with him. Trading him for nothing is insane, and trading him in favor of Lovejoy is borderline retarded.

That being said, this is what I'd do:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait/Bort-Engelland

roids99999 08-08-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines (Post 53403577)
I wished Craig Adams retired this season, he's a useless player. It was embarrassing last season seeing Eric Tangradi and Dustin Jeffery being scratched because of this guy.

adams is only here for the PK if he wasnt any good at that he can disappear and be forgoten but i thought he did well enough hes worth having for a defensive forward

Mo Wanchuk 08-08-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roids99999 (Post 53403189)

i personally want to see
Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Crosby, Kennedy
Cooke, Sutter, Jeffery
Adams, Vitale, Glass

Letang, Depres
Orpik, Niskanen
Engelland, Lovejoy

:shakehead

Lovejoy will not be in there and Despres will not be paired with Letang. I think Tangradi, if he performs well in camp, will be slated with Geno and Neal. Kuni, Duper and Sid makes up the other top line. Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy on the third and Glass, Vitale, Adams.

MichiganWolverines 08-08-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roids99999 (Post 53403613)
adams is only here for the PK if he wasnt any good at that he can disappear and be forgoten but i thought he did well enough hes worth having for a defensive forward

Tanner Glass can kill penalties, our PK should be Vitale-Cooke and Sutter-Glass screw Craig Adams.

Ziggyjoe21 08-08-2012 10:24 PM

One of Tangradi, Bennett, or TK will end up on top 2 lines. There's no one else to fill that scoring role unless Shero signs a FA. Hopefully Doan. At this point, almost any established top 6 winger is better than Tangradi/Bennett/TK.

roids99999 08-08-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg1 (Post 53403611)
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO

1) You don't give Crosby **** for wingers. He signed for basically the rest of his career, you don't play him with third liners.

2) Tangradi makes the top 12.

3) Trading Martin makes our defense even worse than it does with him. Trading him for nothing is insane, and trading him in favor of Lovejoy is borderline retarded.

That being said, this is what I'd do:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait/Bort-Engelland

why does everyone hate tk so much? you gave sid dupuis as well but cant split up malkin neal and kunitz. i can see rotating in tangradi into that group where he cooke and kennedy can all basically be interchangable. i missed a fair amount of games this season and didnt see tangradi play all that much which is why i left him out but i have to disagree with the d pairings i think depres did much better than strait and bortuzzo. i havent heard much lately but i want to see valabik progress into the league not saying hes ready yet if he can make it.

MichiganWolverines 08-08-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roids99999 (Post 53403811)
why does everyone hate tk so much? you gave sid dupuis as well but cant split up malkin neal and kunitz. i can see rotating in tangradi into that group where he cooke and kennedy can all basically be interchangable. i missed a fair amount of games this season and didnt see tangradi play all that much which is why i left him out but i have to disagree with the d pairings i think depres did much better than strait and bortuzzo. i havent heard much lately but i want to see valabik progress into the league not saying hes ready yet if he can make it.

Valabik is gone Shero isn't going to resign him, besides he didn't play that much in the AHL last year he was injured through out the season.

Beauner 08-08-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roids99999 (Post 53403811)

I don't hate TK, he's just not a top 6 player. On top of that, he's the LAST player on the team you play with Crosby. They couldn't be any more different in terms of style.

Strait and Bortuzzo have to clear waivers, Despres doesn't. That's why he's not on the team.

Boris Valabik is organizational depth at this point. He is a bust and holds no value. I actually don't even know if he's still with the team.

Mo Wanchuk 08-08-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedberg1 (Post 53403945)
I don't hate TK, he's just not a top 6 player. On top of that, he's the LAST player on the team you play with Crosby. They couldn't be any more different in terms of style.

Strait and Bortuzzo have to clear waivers, Despres doesn't. That's why he's not on the team.

Boris Valabik is organizational depth at this point. He is a bust and holds no value. I actually don't even know if he's still with the team.

Winner.. Winner!

Look I loved TK on a line with Gronk and Cookie. But he has tunnel vision, BAD. He is the biggest chest sniper on the team. He still has value to the team, but not paired with Sid or Geno.

Blitzburgh87* 08-08-2012 10:53 PM

Can you IMAGINE us talking about the points Sid could have had if Kennedy DIDN'T shoot everything into the goalies chest and if Kennedy knew passing was legal? "Kennedy skates hard around the net with a wide open Crosby infront of the net,Kennedy shoots! Save made"
In all honesty
kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engelland

Fleury
Vokoun

bambamcam4ever 08-08-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk (Post 53404297)
Winner.. Winner!

Look I loved TK on a line with Gronk and Cookie. But he has tunnel vision, BAD. He is the biggest chest sniper on the team. He still has value to the team, but not paired with Sid or Geno.

Yep. Kennedy has above average offense for a third liner but his game isn't really affected by his linemates. He is going to to the same thing by skating hard down the right boards and flinging the puck at the net from usually a bad angle. This is OK with less gifted linemates who struggle to create offense on their own because his shots can lead to rebound opportunities. However, doing this while playing with Crosby or Malkin doesn't allow them to touch the puck and wastes higher-quality scoring opportunities.

Ogrezilla 08-08-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines (Post 53403755)
Tanner Glass can kill penalties, our PK should be Vitale-Cooke and Sutter-Glass screw Craig Adams.

didn't even include Dupuis. which is just further proof that we really don't need Adams.

TravisUlrich 08-08-2012 11:02 PM

You gotta go back to Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis for 2 reasons:
  1. You can't give Malkin our best and 2nd best winger and just leave Sid with the scraps.
  2. Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is arguably better than Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. And Kunitz has a bigger role on Sid's line. With Malkin & Neal he's basically the Dupuis on that line.

Put Malkin & Neal together and since Neal can play either wing, let's try TK, Tangradi, Jeffrey on that line.

Neal-Malkin-TK

or

Tangradi-Malkin-Neal

or

Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal

TravisUlrich 08-08-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 (Post 53404519)
Can you IMAGINE us talking about the points Sid could have had if Kennedy DIDN'T shoot everything into the goalies chest and if Kennedy knew passing was legal? "Kennedy skates hard around the net with a wide open Crosby infront of the net,Kennedy shoots! Save made"

:laugh: Yeah, I remember those plays. Sid is crashing the crease and all TK has to do is put it in Sid's wheel house and he'll deflect it or grab it and make a quickshot/play but instead it's in the goalies glove.

Blitzburgh87* 08-08-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisUlrich (Post 53404773)
You gotta go back to Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis for 2 reasons:
  1. You can't give Malkin our best and 2nd best winger and just leave Sid with the scraps.
  2. Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is arguably better than Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. And Kunitz has a bigger role on Sid's line. With Malkin & Neal he's basically the Dupuis on that line.

Put Malkin & Neal together and since Neal can play either wing, let's try TK, Tangradi, Jeffrey on that line.

Neal-Malkin-TK

or

Tangradi-Malkin-Neal

or

Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal

We aren't going to put Kennedy in the top 6. Tangradi Malkin Neal is probably the best option.

Blitzburgh87* 08-08-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisUlrich (Post 53404819)
:laugh: Yeah, I remember those plays. Sid is crashing the crease and all TK has to do is put it in Sid's wheel house and he'll deflect it or grab it and make a quickshot/play but instead it's in the goalies glove.

:lol: :facepalm:
Atleast Sid gave Kennedy some SICK setups when Kennedy actually realized it.

mpp9 08-08-2012 11:33 PM

People seem to forget how many plays Dupuis ****ed up during Sid's god mode stint. Difference between him and TK is that he's a better three zone player and doesn't need to shoot from everywhere to be effective.

Kunitz-Sid-XXX
XXX-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

Fill in with a trade and/or Tangradi.

TravisUlrich 08-09-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 53405539)
People seem to forget how many plays Dupuis ****ed up during Sid's god mode stint. Difference between him and TK is that he's a better three zone player and doesn't need to shoot from everywhere to be effective.

Yeah but I think there's a chance that Dupuis has taken a turn with his offensive production. At the end of last season, he kind of bounced around playing with Sid, Staal, and a little bit of Geno, and ended up with a 17-game point streak (highest of all last season).

If some Tangradi had done that we'd be all "Big Dog is going to score 30 goals and 65 points" but because it's Dupuis we don't give it a second thought. Last season Duper had 25 goals and 59 points. Crazy, I know.

cheebatree 08-09-2012 04:48 AM

What line combos is our special teams going to have without Stall and Sullivan?

wej20 08-09-2012 05:56 AM

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
Letang - Malkin

Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke
Niskanen - Martin or Despres.