HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Prospect Info: Pronman's Top 10 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1243637)

Asher 08-09-2012 12:04 AM

Pronman's Top 10

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1350

Edmonton Oilers Top 10 Prospects

1. Nail Yakupov, Right Wing
2. Justin Schultz, Defense
3. Oscar Klefbom, Defense
4. Martin Marincin, Defense
5. Martin Gernat, Defense
6. Daniil Zharkov, Left Wing
7. David Musil, Defense
8. Tyler Pitlick, Right Wing
9. Teemu Hartikainen, Left Wing
10. Tobias Rieder, Right Wing

Here's his organizational rankings:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1347

okgooil 08-09-2012 12:11 AM

Edmonton at #9? I know I am a homer, but really, how can you have Shultz and Yakupov and be at 9? give me a break. Detroit would trade their prospects for ours in a heartbeat.

s7ark 08-09-2012 12:24 AM

I never agree with Pronman's rankings so no surprises here. He always overvalues Detroit and undervalues us.

okgooil 08-09-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 53406601)
I never agree with Pronman's rankings so no surprises here. He always overvalues Detroit and undervalues us.

I like Nyquist, Smith and Tatar, but I am not sure I would trade Klefbom, Shultz and Marincin for them and that is not even mentioning Yakupov.

SDig14 08-09-2012 12:52 AM

After seeing Musil ahead of Pitlick I decided not to even click on the link.

GatoradeG* 08-09-2012 01:22 AM

What a strange name.

dnicks17 08-09-2012 02:18 AM

Yakupov's CORSI must be through the roof.

Tarus 08-09-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDig14 (Post 53407155)
After seeing Musil ahead of Pitlick I decided not to even click on the link.

Pitlick hasn't show any top 6 potential of late, and he has a long way to go before he's a 4th liner, let alone a 3rd liner. Musil is still on the path to potentially be a top 4 shutdown defenseman, which tends to be quite a bit more valuable than your run of the mill 3rd or 4th liner.

Wouldn't rank either player ahead of any of the guys in the top 6, and it's kind of splitting hairs over which is better at 7/8.

Asher 08-09-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarus (Post 53408095)
Pitlick hasn't show any top 6 potential of late, and he has a long way to go before he's a 4th liner, let alone a 3rd liner. Musil is still on the path to potentially be a top 4 shutdown defenseman, which tends to be quite a bit more valuable than your run of the mill 3rd or 4th liner.

Wouldn't rank either player ahead of any of the guys in the top 6, and it's kind of splitting hairs over which is better at 7/8.

I pretty much agree. I see people here sometimes penciling in Pitlick for a 2nd line spot in a few years and I think that really jumping the gun.

Valic 08-09-2012 11:40 AM

I take Musil over Pitlick if I had to keep one.

Petro Points 08-09-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 53412167)
I pretty much agree. I see people here sometimes penciling in Pitlick for a 2nd line spot in a few years and I think that really jumping the gun.

I actually disagree.. Pitlick after the mid point of last season took a big step forward and is now on par with guys like Hartikainen and Lander minus the NHL experience.

Doubt he will be a 2nd liner but he could surely be a solid NHLer down the road. Pitlick should be higher then Gernat and Zharkov and below Musil and Hartikainen.

okgooil 08-09-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 53419085)
I actually disagree.. Pitlick after the mid point of last season took a big step forward and is now on par with guys like Hartikainen and Lander minus the NHL experience.

Doubt he will be a 2nd liner but he could surely be a solid NHLer down the road. Pitlick should be higher then Gernat and Zharkov and below Musil and Hartikainen.

Well it is the classic upside vs certianty. Gernat is a true hit or miss. He could be a 50 point D man at the NHL level or never make it. He has a lot of upside. Pitlik projects to be a 3-4 th line useful C. He will almost certainly be a NHL player but not a great one.

So really depends on what you value more. Personally I would take Gernat over pitlik.

Reimer 08-09-2012 03:39 PM

Guess this settles the Moroz vs. Zharkov debate from the HF prospect rankings.

But in all honesty I stopped reading the rankings after not seeing Rajala in the top 5.

Skm 08-09-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 53426125)

But in all honesty I stopped reading the rankings after not seeing Rajala in the top 5.

:laugh:

Zharkov and Gernat might be a tad high but it's just one guys' ranking and it isn't really that outlandish.

Asher 08-09-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 53426125)

Do you see an NHL future for Rajala? I can't say I do.

Reimer 08-09-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 53426385)
:laugh:

Zharkov and Gernat might be a tad high but it's just one guys' ranking and it isn't really that outlandish.

Thanks, now I'll wait for the beating a dead horse reply, lol.

But yeah of course, it's one guys ranking of the prospects, I don't reallt put a lot of stock or think less of someone opinion if they are placing Zharkov over Pitlick or Musil over Pitlick. I would maybe take his opinion into question if he was trying to convince everyone that Klefbom or Marincin are better prospects than Yakupov.

Reimer 08-09-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 53426543)

He could easily be a regular in a 40 team league.

Asher 08-09-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 53426575)
He could easily be a regular in a 40 team league.

Then I don't see how Rajala belongs in the top 5. Honestly, I thought he did a pretty good job, especially in his commentary provided on each player. His franchise rankings... I'm not so sure about.

SDig14 08-09-2012 03:58 PM

For me, it comes down to my dislike for Musil perhaps.

I can see Pitlick likely being a 3-4th line player with 2nd line upside, but I just think there is a greater chance Musil never plays a game in Edmonton than there is with Pitlick.

If all goes well, Petry, Smid, Whitney (healthy), Schultz, and Klefbom will be here for quite some time.

Musil was the prototypical safe pick, thinks the game pretty well and plays well positionally, but his feet scare me...A LOT. He is Peckham slow with respect to footspeed IMO, and he gets burned off the rush.

#5-6 d-men are not hard to acquire, and I guess I just don't see the top 4 upside in his game, and I have seen him play live quite a bit. Anything can happen with d-men, we have seen the many years it has taken Smid to develop, but his footspeed is vastly better than Musil IMO.

I also love Pitlick, so very biased.

SDig14 08-09-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 53419085)

IMO, Pitlick is going to impress again at Oilers camp and have a really solid season in the AHL next year.

If I am right about his projection in the next 2-3 years, then we will have a very solid NHLer.

3C is an extremely important position going forward, not to mention Pitlick has the speed and shot to play wing in the top 6.

I mean, people are penciling in Harti for a top 6 role....Pitlick is a much better skater, has better finish and shot, and finishes his checks more effectively because he can get on the forecheck much faster than Harti.

Harti is probably more physical overall, but I just don't see him ever being a top 6 winger in the NHL playing with elite players. I saw too many plays die on his stick and he looked horrific in his own end at times in the NHL.

I like him, just IMO he needs more work than some people think.

The Nuge 08-09-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 53419667)
Well it is the classic upside vs certianty. Gernat is a true hit or miss. He could be a 50 point D man at the NHL level or never make it. He has a lot of upside. Pitlik projects to be a 3-4 th line useful C. He will almost certainly be a NHL player but not a great one.

So really depends on what you value more. Personally I would take Gernat over pitlik.

No... Pitlick's upside is what Ryan Kesler currently is. I'm not saying he will hit that, but I guarantee he has a decent NHL career as a middle 6 center that plays physical 2 way hockey.

I am the Liquor 08-09-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 53426543)

Its his little joke that he trots out over and over again, even though it wasnt funny the first time.

Reimer 08-09-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 53426809)
Then I don't see how Rajala belongs in the top 5. Honestly, I thought he did a pretty good job, especially in his commentary provided on each player. His franchise rankings... I'm not so sure about.

Do you still believe that Montoya plays for the Rangers?

Asher 08-09-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 53427455)

Yeah, but I think he plays shortstop now. :)

The Nuge 08-09-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 53427455)

Why wouldn't he? He's got at least 5 Vezina's in his future

Some people don't get the inside jokes