HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   GDT: Free Agency & General Offseason Thread Part IV: Will there be NHL hockey this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1244385)

SixthSens 08-10-2012 12:55 PM

Free Agency & General Offseason Thread Part IV: Will there be NHL hockey this year?

Part III: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...228495&page=40

Continue here.

Marvelous Manked 08-10-2012 12:55 PM

We're not signing no one no more.

CanadianHockey 08-10-2012 12:57 PM

I'm leaning towards 'we'll wait until the CBA negotiations are closer to finished before we make any significant moves toward the cap floor'

OmniSens 08-10-2012 01:08 PM

Not much of a GDT no more.

bacon25 08-10-2012 07:34 PM

If there is a lock-out I am going to send a fresh pile of my kids **** to Bettman's mailbox.

WantEggRoll 08-10-2012 08:41 PM

I don't really understand people's general resentment towards the league in these circumstances.

One thing I keep seeing from people and the media is:
If the league wants to lower pay rolls why are they offering up giant contracts?

If a set of rules is in place at the moment then a smart GM will do everything they can within their power to make the best possible team. Obviously if you have to pay a guy 100mil for 14 years to get him to play, and you can, then you will. If you don't then some other GM will, so of course you are going to do it, but that doesn't mean it is the best thing for the game. The entire point behind the owner's push for new rules is to eliminate the ability to do this which creates a level playing field between the teams.

Another thing I don't really understand is when people get all upset because the owner's demands will "anger" the players.

The owner's proposed a plan would see:
Long-term deals eliminated; lowering the potential to handcuff a team
Longer entry-level deals; meaning if you draft well you have better kids for a longer time
Restricted free agency moved up; meaning players can't up and leave early on

All of those things mean that the "TEAM" we cheer for is going to be in a better position, so who really cares about the players?

We might buy jerseys with the name of a certain player on the back, but usually we only like them because they play for the team on the front.

Sure players are the reason that the game is exciting, but the only reason they get paid huge amounts of money to play a kid's game is because the owners have the money to do so. I'm pretty sure a lot of the owners lose money on their teams and make their actual money through other business ventures. The players are the only ones that are solely dependent on the sport itself, so I'm not sure why I should side with the weaker side of the argument when by right they have the lower position to argue from.

In these circumstances I'm fully behind the league and ownership to do whatever they feel is best to support stable and profitable teams. Of course this should be taken within reason as I'm not saying the players should play for pennies.

Qward 08-10-2012 09:12 PM

When are we unlocking my Trade thread XXX ?!?!?!?!?!?!

MAK19 08-10-2012 11:07 PM

PEOPLE FROM THE OTTAWA SENATORS WHO READ HF READ THIS:

Gonchar + Michalek for Boyle + Clowe.

Do it.

I feel like some ''scientist'' sending radio waves into space trying to contact aliens.

Marty Straka 08-10-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53472393)

Do it.

I feel like some ''scientist'' sending radio waves into space trying to contact aliens.

Pass... Boyle isn't going to be significantly better the Gonchar and they are relatively the same age so it isn't like we are trading an aging vet for a younger dman.. we are just doing a lateral swap for a little bit of an upgrade. I also like Michalek > Clowe.

WasTeD 08-10-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53472393)

Do it.

For the 2nd time. No

MAK19 08-10-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Straka (Post 53472577)
Pass... Boyle isn't going to be significantly better the Gonchar and they are relatively the same age so it isn't like we are trading an aging vet for a younger dman.. we are just doing a lateral swap for a little bit of an upgrade. I also like Michalek > Clowe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil (Post 53472609)
For the 2nd time. No

Well some people agreed in the other thread...

Boyle > Gonchar. Boyle >>> Gonchar.

People who read the polls section brace yourselves lol

Dan Boyle
Relative Quality of Competition = 1.199 (1st on his team)
Relative Corsi = 1.7
+/- On the ice/60 min = 0.38; Team +/- Off the ice/60 min = 0.12; Difference = 0.26

Sergei Gonchar
Relative Quality of Competition = 0.268 (3rd on his team)
Relative Corsi = -4.1
+/- On the ice/60 min = 0.00; Team +/- Off the ice/60 min = 0.50; Difference = -0.50

Boyle also puts up more points as you know.

Michalek > Clowe but it doesn't make up the difference. Arguably.

Berserker* 08-10-2012 11:27 PM

Cam Macintyre might be worth a camp invite. He still has some potential and might be able to find a niche as a physical energy line fighter type either with Ottawa or down in Bingo.

Also, it might be worthwhile to give Matt Foy an invite to Bingo's training camp. It looks like he is finally healthy again and he has proven in the past that he is a capable AHL player.

MAK19 08-10-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 53473033)
Cam Macintyre might be worth a camp invite. He still has some potential and might be able to find a niche as a physical energy line fighter type either with Ottawa or down in Bingo.

Also, it might be worthwhile to give Matt Foy an invite to Bingo's training camp. It looks like he is finally healthy again and he has proven in the past that he is a capable AHL player.

No to both. Ottawa has enough AHL bodies, they don't need AHL 4th liners

Berserker* 08-10-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53473131)
No to both. Ottawa has enough AHL bodies, they don't need AHL 4th liners

Foy put up 50 points in the AHL, if he can stay healthy, then he is more than a 4th liner in the AHL. What is there to lose by offering him a tryout? He isn't guaranteed a contract.

MAK19 08-10-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 53473319)
Foy put up 50 points in the AHL, if he can stay healthy, then he is more than a 4th liner in the AHL. What is there to lose by offering him a tryout? He isn't guaranteed a contract.

6 years ago. Even if he can play in the AHL, the Sens don't need him at all.

Marvelous Manked 08-10-2012 11:47 PM

**** off with the ******** corsi stats.

Berserker* 08-10-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53473419)
6 years ago. Even if he can play in the AHL, the Sens don't need him at all.

Bingo was terrible last year. I don't see the big deal with giving him a tryout. If he pans out, he could put up 40-50 points. If he doesn't, then he goes sign somewhere else. Bingo will have a few AHL and ECHL guys trying out for the team, so Foy might as well be one of them.

MAK19 08-10-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 53473549)

|
|
v

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53472901)
Well some people agreed in the other thread...

Boyle > Gonchar. Boyle >>> Gonchar.

People who read the polls section brace yourselves lol

Dan Boyle
Relative Quality of Competition = 1.199 (1st on his team)
+/- On the ice/60 min = 0.38; Team +/- Off the ice/60 min = 0.12; Difference = 0.26

Sergei Gonchar
Relative Quality of Competition = 0.268 (3rd on his team)
+/- On the ice/60 min = 0.00; Team +/- Off the ice/60 min = 0.50; Difference = -0.50

Boyle also puts up more points as you know.

Michalek > Clowe but it doesn't make up the difference. Arguably.

:nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 53473563)
Bingo was terrible last year. I don't see the big deal with giving him a tryout. If he pans out, he could put up 40-50 points. If he doesn't, then he goes sign somewhere else. Bingo will have a few AHL and ECHL guys trying out for the team, so Foy might as well be one of them.

Many many prospects are making the jump this year. Zib, Stone, Prince, Culek. They signed Jessiman already

WasTeD 08-11-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53473715)

Many many prospects are making the jump this year. Zib, Stone, Prince, Culek. They signed Jessiman already

You need vets to teach the young players. Relying on young players only isn't a good thing.

MAK19 08-11-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil (Post 53473979)
You need vets to teach the young players. Relying on young players only isn't a good thing.

Nathan Lawson
Huge Jessiman
Tyler Eckford
André Benoît

That's 4 vets and there's a 5 vet limit. + there's always 'Ancient' Cannone

Qward 08-11-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53474029)
Nathan Lawson 28
Huge Jessiman 28
Tyler Eckford 26
André Benoît 28

I hate you.

MAK19 08-11-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 53474977)
I hate you.

http://images-2.redbubble.net/img/ar...y-feelings.jpg

seriously

Leave Spezza Alone 08-11-2012 09:14 AM

I don't want Matt Foy without Corey Locke. :(

Pilgore88 08-11-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53474029)
Nathan Lawson
Huge Jessiman
Tyler Eckford
André Benoît

I don't think you know what the 5 vet limit means

DonthaveaCOWEN 08-11-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 53473549)

This. Seems every blogger around is making these a mainstay in every blog and I hate it. I like to read Sens blogs for headline analysis, rumors (meh), game day and post game notes, and opinionated subjects...I don't want to have to do math reading a Sens blog :rant: