HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Aside from Carey, do we have a "star"? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1244889)

Jack Bourdain 08-11-2012 01:44 PM

Aside from Carey, do we have a "star"?
 
Simple question, aside from Carey Price, does this team have a star/superstar player?

IMO no, as I'd pencil in Pacioretty and Subban as potential superstars depending on how their careers continue to develop.

For what concerns Andrei Markov, had it not been for the knee injuries, I'm sure he'd be a top 10 D, but at this point in time, I cannot justify calling him a star.

Discuss.

Roulin 08-11-2012 01:45 PM

PK Subban is a bonafide star, IMHO.

Gustave 08-11-2012 01:50 PM

Well, I would've been tempted to say PK Subban but according to the trade board, he's on the same level as Travis Hamonic, so I'll play it safe and say no.

Bx 08-11-2012 01:53 PM

Don't know that Carey has attained star status yet. PK, I think, is a budding star. If Markov is healthy (a big "if"), I'd probably give him a nod.

Coldplay 08-11-2012 02:04 PM

Erik ****ing Cole. :yo:

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:06 PM

Pacioretty is a star already IMO and is still getting better and better. If DD keeps improving he could even be a wildcard to be a star in a couple years. PK will be a stay but isn't quite one as of yet he still makes some critical mistakes. Thats just me though

schumway2 08-11-2012 02:08 PM

No. Pacioretty and Cole are good players but nowhere near star calibre. Subban is a player with star potential but right now he is just a young player who is developing. He hasn't accomplished anything. He was thrust into a #1 role because of injuries and was rather mediocre.

thrillhouse99 08-11-2012 02:10 PM

Carey price isn't a star yet, he's on the same footing as subban and pacioretty.

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schumway2 (Post 53483723)
No. Pacioretty and Cole are good players but nowhere near star calibre. Subban is a player with star potential but right now he is just a young player who is developing. He hasn't accomplished anything. He was thrust into a #1 role because of injuries and was rather mediocre.

How does Pacioretty not have star power? lol He is a young 30-40 goal scorer....Just asking

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:11 PM

um scott gomez is the biggest star on the team...come on people :sarcasm:

schumway2 08-11-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac1160 (Post 53483777)
How does Pacioretty not have star power? lol He is a young 30-40 goal scorer....Just asking

He can become a star. Right now he isn't. One 33 goal season doesn't make you a star. Is Michael Grabner a star?

Issacar 08-11-2012 02:15 PM

After last season, Max Pacioretty is now a full fledged star imo. The year before he opened the eyes of everyone around the league and this season he confirmed that he was the real deal.

Find me a team that wouldn't want to build their top lines around him.

Imo, Plekanec is under appreciated. He should be considered as a star at the same level as Patrice Bergeron or Ryan Callahan as examples.

Issacar 08-11-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schumway2 (Post 53483823)
He can become a star. Right now he isn't. One 33 goal season doesn't make you a star. Is Michael Grabner a star?

And then Taylor Hall was a star before having just one 33 goals season. How many 33 goals season does Hall have?

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schumway2 (Post 53483823)
He can become a star. Right now he isn't. One 33 goal season doesn't make you a star. Is Michael Grabner a star?

You say he is nowhere near star power yet you just say he can become a star. I guess I am just more optimistic for his future. You can't compare Pacioretty and Grabner 2 completely different typed of players.

thrillhouse99 08-11-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Issacar (Post 53483937)
And then Taylor Hall was a star before having just one 33 goals season. How many 33 goals season does Hall have?

Taylor hall was a first overall pick though, right or wrong that affects what people think about a player.

If max continues to score 30 plus goals the next two years he's a star. If he scores 16 and 21 the next two years he isn't. Gotta wait and see.

Habs 08-11-2012 02:20 PM

I don't consider anyone on this team a 'Star' yet, Price is on his way and Patches isn't even close. Subban thinks he is a star, if that counts.

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Issacar (Post 53483911)
After last season, Max Pacioretty is now a full fledged star imo. The year before he opened the eyes of everyone around the league and this season he confirmed that he was the real deal.

Find me a team that wouldn't want to build their top lines around him.

Imo, Plekanec is under appreciated. He should be considered as a star at the same level as Patrice Bergeron or Ryan Callahan as examples.

Paches is a top 2 forward but a full fledged star?..I like your way of thinking man but no way is he completely proven yet. Although I think he will be a star I am looking to see if he can consistently put serious numbers up in the next couple of yrs.

Dr Gonzo 08-11-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustave (Post 53483293)
Well, I would've been tempted to say PK Subban but according to the trade board, he's on the same level as Travis Hamonic, so I'll play it safe and say no.

Consider the source.

I'm a big fan of Hamonic, and I think he's severely underrated, but that thread was nothing but laughable.

Jmac1160* 08-11-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 53484047)
I don't consider anyone on this team a 'Star' yet, Price is on his way and Patches isn't even close. Subban thinks he is a star, if that counts.

and you think your a star hockeymind :laugh:...your mostly right although Price is a star like it or not.

Habs 08-11-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Issacar (Post 53483937)
And then Taylor Hall was a star before having just one 33 goals season. How many 33 goals season does Hall have?

IMO Hall is a star because of all the hype he had, and the Oilers marketing machine. To me he isn't a star, I'm not even sure what type of player Hall is going to be at this point. An injury prone forward?

Face of the franchise? Not sure, I'd say Grigs and RNH have him beat in that area, and RNH has him beat in every other aspect of the game already.

Dr Gonzo 08-11-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 53484139)
IMO Hall is a star because of all the hype he had, and the Oilers marketing machine. To me he isn't a star, I'm not even sure what type of player Hall is going to be at this point. An injury prone forward?

If he doesn't start keeping his head up, Hall is going to develop into the Keith Primeau type of player, circa 2005, post Perezhogin.

Issacar 08-11-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 (Post 53484021)
Taylor hall was a first overall pick though, right or wrong that affects what people think about a player.

If max continues to score 30 plus goals the next two years he's a star. If he scores 16 and 21 the next two years he isn't. Gotta wait and see.

Which exactly serves my point. Max Pacioretty has shown a better development then Taylor Hall who seems to have developped a talent to become injured more then anything else.

If Hall = star

then

Pacioretty = star

There are star players who don't necessarily score 30 goals from season to season and still have that level of notoriety. I think that what makes Max Pacioretty a star, is his style of play and his work ethic more then his goal production. There's not that many players who are gamebreakers and bring the same edge. Also the only way he stop producing 30 goals per season it'll be because he has done another major concussin or sign a big juicy contract and stop caring about how he performs.

LyricalLyricist 08-11-2012 02:28 PM

Just Price. Subban may become a star even without actually having the impact of one on the ice. His personality adds to the star image and he gets more attention than some stars already. That being said, I think subban will be a 1st pairing(already is) to elite d-man worthy of the phrase "star". Pacioretty will likely be a top line winger but I don't see franchise or elite on him. I'm not sure on galchenyuk right now. I want to see him in OHL next year and then I'll have a better idea. He could be an average 1st liner or a star, I really don't know, maybe he'll be a good #2 center.

Habs 4 Life 08-11-2012 02:28 PM

Superstars? No not even close

Issacar 08-11-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac1160 (Post 53484055)
Paches is a top 2 forward but a full fledged star?..I like your way of thinking man but no way is he completely proven yet. Although I think he will be a star I am looking to see if he can consistently put serious numbers up in the next couple of yrs.

Pacioretty would play on the first line of roughly 90% of the NHL clubs. Let's just pick the Kings (since they just won the Stanley Cup) as your first LW, who do you pick? Simon Gagné, Dustin Penner or Max Pacioretty?

Albeit a dying star, Simon Gagné is still a star and he'd still be tossed aside in favour of Pacioretty.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.