HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   News Article: Canucks not tough enough to succeed in today's NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1244957)

Elliot20 08-11-2012 03:53 PM

Canucks not tough enough to succeed in today's NHL?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rall-toughness

Bleacher Report put Boston Bruins as the team with the best balance of toughness and skill to succeed in today's NHL. Looking at some of the rosters out there, it really makes you take those rose-coloured glasses off. We don't seem that tough when compared to the rest of the NHL. Certainly, we are not the softest, but I think we can do better in this department.

Personally, I think our last two playoff exits were due to lack of physicality and toughness. Boston and LA played a physical game that made it difficult for Canucks to make their "regular-season" plays. We didn't have the space to create anything offensively and this is because we were physically outplayed. You have to fight for space.

The roster hasn't changed much and we can't go into the season status quo. I do think we need to address some toughness in our top 6. Having Garrison instead of Salo is a step in the right direction. Garrison being more physical and hopefully, consistent in the lineup.

This is why I hope Zack Kassian really makes the top 6 throughout the year or Jensen gives everyone a surprise. Especially if we have Schroeder in our top 9 this year, a bigger presence needs to compensate that.

Verviticus 08-11-2012 04:15 PM

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahh ahahahahahahhahahahahhah bleacher report

I disagree with everything you said. Toughness is an answer to "how do they play", NOT "how well do they play"

jammyrft 08-11-2012 04:23 PM

We'd be a 100% different team if both Burrows and Kesler played with the same grit and physicallity as when they were young rookies trying to break the team.

If Booth plays a tough, hard nosed style that he's shown flashes us our top 6 wouldn't be so bad. That with Garrison and Kassian I think our team could play a lot tougher then what they've shown the past 4 years. While we don't have a real "force" on our team if everyone played grittier and tougher we have the horses to be a physical team (Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Ballard, Alberts, Volpatti etc...)

MarkMM 08-11-2012 04:31 PM

Though it's feeling like he'll stay in Phoenix, if we got Doan and Kassian solidified his play, that'd go a long way. Edler in a contract year (who hits like we see occasionally) and if Bieksa gets his nasty back, added with Garrison, we have a foundation to build on.

Add on a piece at the deadline and I think we'll balance out.

If we don't get Doan, then yeah, we'll need to hone in on adding some meat more urgently.

Edler Revived 08-11-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammyrft (Post 53487229)
We'd be a 100% different team if both Burrows and Kesler played with the same grit and physicallity as when they were young rookies trying to break the team.

If Booth plays a tough, hard nosed style that he's shown flashes us our top 6 wouldn't be so bad. That with Garrison and Kassian I think our team could play a lot tougher then what they've shown the past 4 years. While we don't have a real "force" on our team if everyone played grittier and tougher we have the horses to be a physical team (Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Ballard, Alberts, Volpatti etc...)

I agree we have a good mix of "toughness" and speed to compete and amp up the hitting in a series to the point the other team crosses the line, puts us on the power play....then it will be up to the Sedins and the rest of the power play yet again.....IF there is enough healthy defenders and power play components at the end of a Canuck playoff run, we'll have our cup. We have all the ingredients....just ask the odds makers.

Moore Money 08-11-2012 04:50 PM

They need more skill not "toughness"

Canadian Gold X3 08-11-2012 05:42 PM

Overall, Detroit has proved that the skill and puck possession style prevails.

lush 08-11-2012 05:46 PM

San Jose ranked tougher than Vancouver? Disagree.

Pseudonymous 08-11-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lush (Post 53489411)
San Jose ranked tougher than Vancouver? Disagree.

I would. They also have their toughness in their top 9 also.

We have volpatti and weise and kassian who played what, 6 min a game in the playoffs. lol

I truly think if we didn't have Bieksa, we'd be screwed

LiquidSnake 08-11-2012 06:25 PM

Bleacher report.......

Reverend Mayhem 08-11-2012 06:48 PM

Our exits had nothing to do with physicality and toughness and everything to do with not being able to put the puck in the net. How many one-shot scorers do we have on this team? Daniel Sedin doesn't count.

The Bob Cole 08-11-2012 07:40 PM

Up until Boston, we were considered one of the toughest teams and often were running Chicago, Nashville, San Jose out of the building physically. We just couldn't sustain it across the long run and Boston happened to be the better team when it mattered most, Game 7.

VinnyC 08-11-2012 07:46 PM

this is new and exciting. A+ thread would read again, bleacher report always 100% real talk :sarcasm:

MTechnik 08-11-2012 07:55 PM

Canucks lack skills not toughness.

Lundface 08-11-2012 08:35 PM

Need fair reffing..lopsided reffing can make the toughest team undisciplined
and at the same time it can neutralize the most skilled team.

Getting sick with the reffing of this league. Pick one way and STICK WITH IT.

Lard_Lad 08-11-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake (Post 53490529)
Bleacher report.......

You say that like there's something questionable about the integrity of a site that churns out ****-disturbing articles in the form of slideshows to squeeze out every last pageview they can get.

chopkins 08-11-2012 08:39 PM

Two Presidents Trophies and a Finals appearance in the last two years. Both times being knocked out by the champs. Undoubtedly the 3rd best team in the league during this stretch.

We may not be tough, but we can succeed.

y2kcanucks 08-11-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 (Post 53489271)
Overall, Detroit has proved that the skill and puck possession style prevails.

They have? When was the last time they won the cup?

The Canucks need toughness in the top 6. The toughness people point to are bottom depth players or healthy scratches. We need some toughness amongst the players who can make a difference and we don't have that.

Cocoa Crisp 08-11-2012 08:56 PM

It's not toughness per se. It's an inability to crack defenses that collapse on the net, especially in the playoffs when calls are harder to come by and teams have more time to scout us.

A lot of that is coaching. We have enough skill. We could use a bit more toughness because that always helps in a tough series. But it's really been our inability to score against a specific kind of defense that's been our undoing the past two playoffs.

Reverend Mayhem 08-11-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 53493163)
They have? When was the last time they won the cup?

The Canucks need toughness in the top 6. The toughness people point to are bottom depth players or healthy scratches. We need some toughness amongst the players who can make a difference and we don't have that.

Rick Nash would have been a fantastic add. Hopefully Kassian turns out alright, but it's pretty clear we need that kind of player ASAP.

Ogie Goldthorpe 08-11-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 53491047)
Our exits had nothing to do with physicality and toughness and everything to do with not being able to put the puck in the net. How many one-shot scorers do we have on this team? Daniel Sedin doesn't count.

I've argued this a million times... what the Canucks have needed recently is a guy who can really score. Especially, in my mind, a guy who can score on the rebound from 5 feet out... a guy who can stand in front of the net, take a lot of punishment, and push the puck over the goal line. A Dave Andreychuk type guy would be perfect... although a Tim Kerr type guy would be better.

Respect Your Edler 08-11-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe (Post 53494397)
I've argued this a million times... what the Canucks have needed recently is a guy who can really score. Especially, in my mind, a guy who can score on the rebound from 5 feet out... a guy who can stand in front of the net, take a lot of punishment, and push the puck over the goal line. A Dave Andreychuk type guy would be perfect... although a Tim Kerr type guy would be better.

I'd settle for someone who scores period. We haven't had a real goalscorer since Bert and Naslund were in their primes. I'm not discounting what Daniel brings, but he's not a dominant goalscorer. Bert was when he could do his push-off move and Naslund was when he had his shot.

Wheatley 08-11-2012 10:03 PM

Need more Hordichuk and Eager and Scott.

Shareefruck 08-11-2012 10:30 PM

We need guys who are stronger and do a better job of fighting for their space, not toughness. If everybody played as hard as Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, etc, who aren't tough-guys by any stretch, we wouldn't have any problems, IMO.

serge2k 08-11-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot20 (Post 53486501)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rall-toughness

Bleacher Report put Boston Bruins as the team with the best balance of toughness and skill to succeed in today's NHL. Looking at some of the rosters out there, it really makes you take those rose-coloured glasses off. We don't seem that tough when compared to the rest of the NHL. Certainly, we are not the softest, but I think we can do better in this department.

Personally, I think our last two playoff exits were due to lack of physicality and toughness. Boston and LA played a physical game that made it difficult for Canucks to make their "regular-season" plays. We didn't have the space to create anything offensively and this is because we were physically outplayed. You have to fight for space.

The roster hasn't changed much and we can't go into the season status quo. I do think we need to address some toughness in our top 6. Having Garrison instead of Salo is a step in the right direction. Garrison being more physical and hopefully, consistent in the lineup.

This is why I hope Zack Kassian really makes the top 6 throughout the year or Jensen gives everyone a surprise. Especially if we have Schroeder in our top 9 this year, a bigger presence needs to compensate that.

I think you are wrong. Saying the Canucks lost to the big bad bruins is just ignoring reality. The Canucks were decimated by injuries.

This year it was pretty obvious they were headed for an early exit. Lazy play for half the season.

Plus someone must have sold their soul for an L.A. win because they had about as easy a run as a team can.