HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   St. John's Mid-Term Report (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=124519)

mooseOAK* 01-18-2005 05:02 PM

St. John's Mid-Term Report

Rock Report from tmlfans.ca

Pretty accurate from my standpoint.

Christ 01-18-2005 05:21 PM

Very good read. :yo:

leaflover 01-18-2005 05:42 PM

Definately a good read.
Why does Hubbuaer become Flames proeperty at seasons end?
And why extend a contact to a player who's AHL developement benefits another team?

Not that i'm worried Hubbuaer will develope into a top NHLer but it seems strange to give him a roster spot knowing he's gone anyway.I would think his icetime should be given to a leaf prospect.Shouldn't it. :dunno:

Mess 01-18-2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaflover
Definately a good read.
Why does Hubbuaer become Flames proeperty at seasons end?
And why extend a contact to a player who's AHL developement benefits another team?

Not that i'm worried Hubbuaer will develope into a top NHLer but it seems strange to give him a roster spot knowing he's gone anyway.I would think his icetime should be given to a leaf prospect.Shouldn't it. :dunno:

Hubbauer was selected by Sutter and the Flames on the TV "Making the Cut" show and as such won an invite to the Flames next training Camp as a result ..

Mike Penny assitant GM to TML's GM JF jr was on the Leaf's lunch with Watters and Marek.

He said that after Matt's 25 game PTO was over they signed him to another one. This in no way makes him TML property. In signing his contract with the show "Making the Cut" he is obligated to the team he is drafted to and cannot sign a permenant contract with any team until he fulfill's his show contract and participates in the drafting teams (Calgary) training camp.

What does this mean. He is a St. John Leaf now, but if the lockout ends, regardless if he is in the middle of his second PTO, he has to participate in Calgary's camp. If they decide not to sign him, he is again a UFA.

Dark Knight 01-18-2005 06:11 PM

I think Jeremy Williams deserves an A. He's done everything right in his full rookie year!

richardn 01-18-2005 06:30 PM

I thought it was a very acuarte mid term report card.

DutchLeafsfan 01-19-2005 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
What does this mean. He is a St. John Leaf now, but if the lockout ends, regardless if he is in the middle of his second PTO, he has to participate in Calgary's camp. If they decide not to sign him, he is again a UFA.

Also afaik he can decide to just not sign with the Flames after the camp, and then return to the Leafs...

Augustus 01-19-2005 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Rock Report from tmlfans.ca

Pretty accurate from my standpoint.

Thanks, mooseOAK. I learned quite a bit. Strangely, little news of the Baby Leafs has made it into the Orlando Sentinel. I look forward to seeing them on TV when I get to Toronto in three weeks.

Patty Lee 01-19-2005 07:32 AM

I thought Ling was from Halifax? says PEI here. Interesting read though.

Frankie 01-19-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67
I thought Ling was from Halifax? says PEI here. Interesting read though.

i think ling was born in halifax and grew up in pei?? :dunno: i know they always refer to him and macdonald as the 2 prince edward islanders.

good report card, i can't argue too much with it.

Pulfy14 01-19-2005 03:03 PM

I don't think Stajan desirves a C- he should adleast have b/b- he still is 3rd in points for st.johns

richardn 01-19-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
I don't think Stajan desirves a C- he should adleast have b/b- he still is 3rd in points for st.johns

If Stajan had not played such a successfull year in the NHL then maybe he might have got a B- or a C+. But he has been a major dissapointment in the AHL. In my opinion if the NHL starts any time soon Stajan would not make the roster the way he has been playing. His passes have been off, his work ethic is low and he seems to be shy arround the puck. At times he seems to show flashes of the player he was last year. He has had plenty of time to adjust and can't rely on that excuse to much longer. I personally think he is going to turn it arround and have an excellent second half.

tippycanoe2 01-20-2005 02:39 PM

Some not accurate

Now, I am an AVID leaf fan, and I have listened, watched on TV, or seen in person every game this year. I've paid more attention to these boys this year than Brian Rogers! Looking at this report card, I would have done a few things differently. A lot of them I agree with actually, but there are a few that I was sadly disappointed.
I agree with Welly, Leeber, Newberry, Rock, Wilmer, Harry, Linger, palahnuk, Wozzy, Moro, beller, Coco, Whitey, D'amour, Telly, and Aubin.
I don't agree with the rest...either strongly or a little. Here's why...
Regan Kelly: Received C-... :banghead:
I realize that Kelly is in his third year, and I have more tips for him than I could possibly remember, but I think he's better than a C-! When Carlo went down with his injury, Kelly stepped in there, and he has been pretty solid. He is known for taking stupid penalties, and getting lazy occasionally, but I think he's done okay. The main things I think Regan should work on are shooting more, taking the body (responsibly!), and covering his man. Sometimes he tries to bee too offensive, and is caught off guard. He also needs to Show Shedden that he's pissed off when he gets benched or scratched! WORK FOR YOUR ICE TIME REGAN! Maybe a B- or so
Matt Stajan: Received C-... :madfire:
I know that Matty didn't have a good start, and he was a disappointment, since everyone thought he would be so great. You have to keep in mind that the AHL is a lot different than the NHL. Under Pat Quinn, he was used to be defensive, and versitile in different situations. He wasn't used to playing on the PP, and he's used to playing with people like Owen Nolan, and Darcy Tucker. It's a bit of an adjustment. Now that he's with Welly and Linger, he's producing which is what I was waiting for, because he needs NHL type players to play with to show off his NHL type skills. No disrespect to any of the guys he was playing with before, because they are all great, but Linger and Welly are a much better fit for him! Not to mention, I'm sure 20% of the PPs that St.John's get are because Matt Stajan has drawn the penalty. The kid just gets ripped left and right! That's also a big factor! At least a B
Nathan Barrett: received C+... :bow:
Sammy was injured at the beginning of the year, so his point production isn't what a lot of people would expect. However, when he first came back from a serious groin injury, he was the most dominant player on the ice. He had something like 7 goals in his first 10 games back. I went to the weekend series against the bulldogs which the leafs dominated, and both games, Sammy scored the first goal to get the ball rolling...which allowed St.John's to steam roll the dogs. He does a lot of things on the ice that don't show up on the score sheet, like making smart plays and being responsible. For sure a B
Jeremy Williams: Received B...
I think that Jeremy should have gotten a B+, simply because he has been a smart kid on the ice, quarterbacking the PP, sticking to smart hockey, winning face offs, being responsible far beyond his years, and not taking stupid penalties. He's a disciplined player who will do whatever is asked of him. Considering what a low draft pick this kid was, with his bullet shot, and good skating, I think he's got a good shot at making it. He's been shifted around so much though, that hopefully Douggy can set him on a line with 2 solid wingers. maybe Drukes, and Sammy or something.
Harold Druken: Received C+...
THis guy is a great hockey player. For those Toronto fans who saw his short stint last year, he did really well. He has the skill to play with Owen Nolan and Matt Stajan, so we all know he's good. He's been working hard as far as I've seen, but it's hard to produce from the press box. No disprespect to Doug Shedden, because I know that they have 6 veterans, so one has to be a scratch every night, and it's hard to put someone like Linger or Moro in the press box, but I hate to see Druken sit so often. The guy is 4th on the team in points, and he hasn't played many games. The last few games he has been back, he's been great, so that's good to see. He was also injured twice I believe...I remember seeing him in Hamilton, and his face was all swollen, and he had a huge scab on his nose. The poor guy...I think he deserves a better chance to play each night. I believe Doug Shedden's complaint was that he wasn't working hard enough to earn his ice time, so I'm glad to see him working now. He deserves a B- at least

I know that I didn't include some guys, but the rest I either don't have an opinion on at this point, or I don't feel they have played enough to be judged...like Engelhardt and Marsh!
Now, my "report" is just my opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone or anything (although, I don't think I said anything harsh or disrespectful!) People should leave feedback telling me what they think. I want to hear what others have to say.

Frankie 01-20-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tippycanoe2
Now, I am an AVID leaf fan, and I have listened, watched on TV, or seen in person every game this year. I've paid more attention to these boys this year than Brian Rogers! Looking at this report card, I would have done a few things differently. A lot of them I agree with actually, but there are a few that I was sadly disappointed.
I agree with Welly, Leeber, Newberry, Rock, Wilmer, Harry, Linger, palahnuk, Wozzy, Moro, beller, Coco, Whitey, D'amour, Telly, and Aubin.
I don't agree with the rest...either strongly or a little. Here's why...
Regan Kelly: Received C-... :banghead:
I realize that Kelly is in his third year, and I have more tips for him than I could possibly remember, but I think he's better than a C-! When Carlo went down with his injury, Kelly stepped in there, and he has been pretty solid. He is known for taking stupid penalties, and getting lazy occasionally, but I think he's done okay. The main things I think Regan should work on are shooting more, taking the body (responsibly!), and covering his man. Sometimes he tries to bee too offensive, and is caught off guard. He also needs to Show Shedden that he's pissed off when he gets benched or scratched! WORK FOR YOUR ICE TIME REGAN! Maybe a B- or so
Matt Stajan: Received C-... :madfire:
I know that Matty didn't have a good start, and he was a disappointment, since everyone thought he would be so great. You have to keep in mind that the AHL is a lot different than the NHL. Under Pat Quinn, he was used to be defensive, and versitile in different situations. He wasn't used to playing on the PP, and he's used to playing with people like Owen Nolan, and Darcy Tucker. It's a bit of an adjustment. Now that he's with Welly and Linger, he's producing which is what I was waiting for, because he needs NHL type players to play with to show off his NHL type skills. No disrespect to any of the guys he was playing with before, because they are all great, but Linger and Welly are a much better fit for him! Not to mention, I'm sure 20% of the PPs that St.John's get are because Matt Stajan has drawn the penalty. The kid just gets ripped left and right! That's also a big factor! At least a B
Nathan Barrett: received C+... :bow:
Sammy was injured at the beginning of the year, so his point production isn't what a lot of people would expect. However, when he first came back from a serious groin injury, he was the most dominant player on the ice. He had something like 7 goals in his first 10 games back. I went to the weekend series against the bulldogs which the leafs dominated, and both games, Sammy scored the first goal to get the ball rolling...which allowed St.John's to steam roll the dogs. He does a lot of things on the ice that don't show up on the score sheet, like making smart plays and being responsible. For sure a B
Jeremy Williams: Received B...
I think that Jeremy should have gotten a B+, simply because he has been a smart kid on the ice, quarterbacking the PP, sticking to smart hockey, winning face offs, being responsible far beyond his years, and not taking stupid penalties. He's a disciplined player who will do whatever is asked of him. Considering what a low draft pick this kid was, with his bullet shot, and good skating, I think he's got a good shot at making it. He's been shifted around so much though, that hopefully Douggy can set him on a line with 2 solid wingers. maybe Drukes, and Sammy or something.
Harold Druken: Received C+...
THis guy is a great hockey player. For those Toronto fans who saw his short stint last year, he did really well. He has the skill to play with Owen Nolan and Matt Stajan, so we all know he's good. He's been working hard as far as I've seen, but it's hard to produce from the press box. No disprespect to Doug Shedden, because I know that they have 6 veterans, so one has to be a scratch every night, and it's hard to put someone like Linger or Moro in the press box, but I hate to see Druken sit so often. The guy is 4th on the team in points, and he hasn't played many games. The last few games he has been back, he's been great, so that's good to see. He was also injured twice I believe...I remember seeing him in Hamilton, and his face was all swollen, and he had a huge scab on his nose. The poor guy...I think he deserves a better chance to play each night. I believe Doug Shedden's complaint was that he wasn't working hard enough to earn his ice time, so I'm glad to see him working now. He deserves a B- at least

I know that I didn't include some guys, but the rest I either don't have an opinion on at this point, or I don't feel they have played enough to be judged...like Engelhardt and Marsh!
Now, my "report" is just my opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone or anything (although, I don't think I said anything harsh or disrespectful!) People should leave feedback telling me what they think. I want to hear what others have to say.

sounds like you knows all these guys personally. who's sammy?

i wouldn't insult brian rogers by saying you follow the team closer then he does. he spends every day of the season with them. nobody knows them as well as he does.

regan kelly? i think he should have had a failing grade. what's he done? nothing. he can't do anything. as carl o'steen puts it, regan kelly sucks.

matt stajan? coulda had a failing grade too. he doesn't give a ****. blame him for dragging down his linemates, not the other way around. hopefully last night was a new start for him.

nathan barrett? see regan kelly. what has he done? nothing.

jeremy williams? i hope he finishes with 19 goals! :joker: but seriously, quarterbacking the pp? he played a few games on the point. that's all. he hasn't spent much time back there.

druken? same old story with druken. everyone knows what he's all about. talented but lazy. that's why he sits out sometimes.

Mess 01-20-2005 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie
jeremy williams? i hope he finishes with 19 goals! :joker: but seriously, quarterbacking the pp? he played a few games on the point. that's all. he hasn't spent much time back there..

:)

tippycanoe2 01-21-2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

sounds like you knows all these guys personally. who's sammy?

i wouldn't insult brian rogers by saying you follow the team closer then he does. he spends every day of the season with them. nobody knows them as well as he does.

regan kelly? i think he should have had a failing grade. what's he done? nothing. he can't do anything. as carl o'steen puts it, regan kelly sucks.

matt stajan? coulda had a failing grade too. he doesn't give a ****. blame him for dragging down his linemates, not the other way around. hopefully last night was a new start for him.

nathan barrett? see regan kelly. what has he done? nothing.

jeremy williams? i hope he finishes with 19 goals! :joker: but seriously, quarterbacking the pp? he played a few games on the point. that's all. he hasn't spent much time back there.

druken? same old story with druken. everyone knows what he's all about. talented but lazy. that's why he sits out sometimes.

Sounds like you're a bitter little boy! I was joking when I said that I followed them more than Brian Rogers! I KNOW that he's with them everyday! Trust me, I know as well as anyone that Brian Rogers is the ultimate library of leafs knowledge!

Regan Kelly hasn't been playing so great this year, but he does have potential. I think that he's being more responsible than last year! I explained in the first place what I thought he needed to improve on.
Matt Stajan does NOT deserve a failing grade! He's still third on the team in points! He's a responsible player, and he spent all last year with little offensive opportunity, and played mostly defensive...this is a totally different game for him.
Nathan Barrett (AKA Sammy!) was out with injury for a long time, and when he came back he kicked some A**....he was scoring left and right! There was about a week where he was the only one that produced!
Jeremy has played a lot of games on the point! When Carlo went down Jeremy was on the PP with Ian white a lot! He has a bullet shot, so Douggy put him there, and it was a good move...he's an awesome player.
Druken does need to work harder to prove him self...agreed. He is still 4th on the team in points, and considering that he's been scratched a few games, that's really good! He also comes up with big goals when needed, so he's a valuable player, and anyone on the team would tell you the same thing!

And not that you care, or its an of your business, I do know them, and they are all awesome guys...don't dis them!

Frankie 01-21-2005 09:47 PM

i think the term used is puck bunny.

leafaholix* 01-21-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

i think the term used is puck bunny.

Nice, you win.

What a tremendous response by you.

Frankie 01-21-2005 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Nice, you win.

What a tremendous response by you.

oh great, approval from the king of tact and understanding.

am i wrong? :shakehead

leafaholix* 01-21-2005 09:59 PM

Quote:

oh great, approval from the king of tact and understanding.

am i wrong? :shakehead

From what I've seen tippy's contributed more knowledge to this thread than you have to the Leafs forum in a long time.

Please don't try and discredit tippycanoe with your one liners.

Frankie 01-21-2005 10:06 PM

regan kelly has potential?

ok, lets learn some more.

leafaholix* 01-21-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

regan kelly has potential?

ok, lets learn some more.

Notice how tippycanoe didn't say what kind of potential? All young players have potential... maybe tippy meant the potential to be a good AHL defenseman.

Which isn't at all a bold statement.