HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Breakout Prospect - Derek Grant (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1245193)

The Fuhr* 08-12-2012 06:34 AM

Breakout Prospect - Derek Grant

I'm a big fan of his skill package, I think this is the year we see him take a big leap in development as he becomes a go to player in Bingo and plays at a 60 point pace. He is a big hockey player at 6'3 and 200lbs... I'd like to see him around 210 when he enters camp

Along with his size he can cycle the puck well as he is good along the boards... he has above average play making skills... he has the ability to develop into a very good defensive player too... skates well.

After a breakout season in Bingo, he is going to be pushing for the 3C spot on the Sens come 13/14

CanadianHockey 08-12-2012 06:40 AM

I also like Grant and his upside. Pretty much agree with Fuhr on this one.

wubwubwubwub 08-12-2012 09:06 AM

He seems like he has a sttrong chance of being a good bottom 6er

MAK19 08-12-2012 10:03 AM

Possibly, but Bingo has amazing depth and he'll probably be stuck on the 4th line, therefore I doubt he gets 60 points. He'd need PP time for that and that's not likely to happen.

the stackiness/stackedness of Bingo will prevent him from reaching his true potential. And people wanna add even more veterans

Minister of Offence 08-12-2012 10:39 AM

I figured grant would be a top 6er in bingo almost certainly.

The Fuhr* 08-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53502707)

Same... the Sens will give a big guy like him the ice time he needs to develop into his full potential.

GM`s love talented players with size

MAK19 08-12-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53502707)

Hoffman, Petersson, Prince, Da Costa, Zibanejad, Stone, Jessiman, possibly Pageau and even Cannone.

Only way is both Zib and Silf make the team and Grant beats out Cannone for the 2nd line centre.

If there's a lockout the situation becomes even 'worse'

Holdurbreathe 08-12-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Below (Post 53502773)
Same... the Sens will give a big guy like him the ice time he needs to develop into his full potential.

GM`s love talented players with size

Agreed, however Grant is going to have to show a more physical side to his game (edgier) and to use his size and speed to create more production, or the kids are going to pass him quickly on the depth chart.

I do realize DG is only 22, but without showing significant growth in his game at the next training camp, I doubt we will see him in the NHL any time soon.

White Goodman 08-12-2012 11:25 AM

What does Bingo's potential line-up look like as of now?

Holdurbreathe 08-12-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53502787)
Hoffman, Petersson, Prince, Da Costa, Zibanejad, Stone, Jessiman, possibly Pageau and even Cannone.

Only way is both Zib and Silf make the team and Grant beats out Cannone for the 2nd line centre.

Line structures or numbering doesn't function in quite the same manner as the NHL.

Its a development league where coaches tend to balance playing time to a greater extent than the structured NHL.

'The Great Below' is 100% correct, NHL GMs love players with size, speed and skill, Grant possesses all three. IMO if Grant shows a little more edge to his play it should provide him more time and space, he could then easily become one of the top centers in Bingo next year.

derriko 08-12-2012 11:53 AM

Grant has size, but doesn't use it. He also is really skinny.

Though the good thing is, he will be the 2c behind Da Costa barring Zbad not making the big team or playing wing in Bingo. His only competition is Cannone now that Locke is gone, Pat has no chance at an NHL future so all he adds to the team is a little veteran presence.

With that being said, I don't see an NHL future IMO. He could possible be a two way fourth liner like O'brien, but i think Jim has more potential anyways.

I personally like physical guys in my bottom six, so I may be discrediting him a little bit though.

Minister of Offence 08-12-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53502787)

The bolded guys need to earn their keep to make the top 6. A couple of them may....but Grant likely starts the year somewhere in the top 6. The org likes Grant quite a bit...he's gonna get a chance to develop.

sens83 08-12-2012 12:07 PM

I actually like DD more than Grant. So far Grant hasn't shown much of an offensive side to his game. He's had a difficult time finishing in the two seasons he's been in Bingo. That said, he could have the light switch moment this season and start to produce like you think he may. DD seemed to turn a corner around February last year. I'd look at him closely this season to see if it carries over.

MAK19 08-12-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe (Post 53503935)
Line structures or numbering doesn't function in quite the same manner as the NHL.

Its a development league where coaches tend to balance playing time to a greater extent than the structured NHL.

'The Great Below' is 100% correct, NHL GMs love players with size, speed and skill, Grant possesses all three. IMO if Grant shows a little more edge to his play it should provide him more time and space, he could then easily become one of the top centers in Bingo next year.

True but if he ends up with Culek and Kramer, it doesn't give much help offensively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53504487)
The bolded guys need to earn their keep to make the top 6. A couple of them may....but Grant likely starts the year somewhere in the top 6. The org likes Grant quite a bit...he's gonna get a chance to develop.

Yes, but Grant needs to earn his keep as well. Guys I mentioned I think have a better chance at winning a top 6 spot. Stone especially, he's lock for top 6 if he plays in Bingo.

The X factor is Zibanejad - which position he plays and which team he plays for.

Minister of Offence 08-12-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53504899)

Yes, but Grant needs to earn his keep as well. Guys I mentioned I think have a better chance at winning a top 6 spot. Stone especially, he's lock for top 6 if he plays in Bingo.

The X factor is Zibanejad - which position he plays and which team he plays for.

Grant's earned his keep above the players I bolded.

Stone probably will, but there's no guarantee he's penciled into the top 6 on opening day.

blair7 08-12-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53504487)

I'm pretty high on Grant too but I was actually thinking earlier that I can't recall anyone in the org saying anything positive or negative about him. I'm not trying to call you out or anything but do you have any examples of someone with the Sens beening high on Grant?

MAK19 08-12-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53505219)
Grant's earned his keep above the players I bolded.

Stone probably will, but there's no guarantee he's penciled into the top 6 on opening day.

haha, I agree to disagree. Stone is guaranteed top 6, the only question is whether it's Ottawa or Bingo.

Cannone is more polished than Grant, Jessiman had 27 goals last year (20 a few more times), Prince and Pageau are simply more talented. They are at least on even footing with Grant going into the season.

Minister of Offence 08-12-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blair7 (Post 53505701)
I'm pretty high on Grant too but I was actually thinking earlier that I can't recall anyone in the org saying anything positive or negative about him. I'm not trying to call you out or anything but do you have any examples of someone with the Sens beening high on Grant?

Who of the lesser known guys are you high on?

Dorion: Derek Grant.

Minister of Offence 08-12-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53505751)
haha, I agree to disagree. Stone is guaranteed top 6, the only question is whether it's Ottawa or Bingo.

Cannone is more polished than Grant, Jessiman had 27 goals last year (20 a few more times), Prince and Pageau are simply more talented. They are at least on even footing with Grant going into the season.

He's gotta earn it, although I expect he will. Laughing before you say it makes you come off like a ****** bag though.

Pageau is not even guaranteed to play in Binghamton and Prince is certainly not guaranteed to start in the top 6...I like Prince, and I think he'll move up the ranks over the course of the season, if not impress the hell of out them at camp.

Jerk Store 08-12-2012 02:27 PM

Caporusso-crush-trying-to-be-original again Fuhrsie?

CanadianHockey 08-12-2012 02:50 PM

I believe I posted it early, but Grant's put up similar pro points at the same age as former Sens third liner Chris Kelly. That said, Kelly was certainly a more successful junior aged player.

Holdurbreathe 08-12-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53504899)
True but if he ends up with Culek and Kramer, it doesn't give much help offensively.

If Grant ends up playing with Kramer and Culek, it will simply mean he doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL player.

Holdurbreathe 08-12-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows (Post 53505751)

It seems you believe the only thing that matters to the Senators management is that their AHL team wins.

Stone isn't guaranteed anything, and IMO he will start the year in Bingo. As far as top six, bottom six in Bingo next year, it will probably be a bit of musical chairs as players adapt to pro hockey.

Cannone is a vet that provides Bingo some experience on what is going to be a very young team. He won't get more playing minutes than a player like Grant, unless Grant shows no improvement in his game whatsoever.

Jessiman wasn't signed for his goal scoring prowess, he is there to provide some grit. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sens give him a few games in the NHL.

MAK19 08-12-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 53507183)
He's gotta earn it, although I expect he will. Laughing before you say it makes you come off like a ****** bag though.

Pageau is not even guaranteed to play in Binghamton and Prince is certainly not guaranteed to start in the top 6...I like Prince, and I think he'll move up the ranks over the course of the season, if not impress the hell of out them at camp.

Whoa whoa there, I wasn't laughing at you or your opinion, just the disagreement.

Agreed on Pageau, but if he did he has as good a chance as being a successful top 6er as Grant. No Prince isn't guaranteed top 6 (only Stone is), but Prince has the inside track over Grant imo. Anyway Grant plays centre unlike Prince.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe (Post 53510291)
It seems you believe the only thing that matters to the Senators management is that their AHL team wins.

Stone isn't guaranteed anything, and IMO he will start the year in Bingo. As far as top six, bottom six in Bingo next year, it will probably be a bit of musical chairs as players adapt to pro hockey.

Cannone is a vet that provides Bingo some experience on what is going to be a very young team. He won't get more playing minutes than a player like Grant, unless Grant shows no improvement in his game whatsoever.

Jessiman wasn't signed for his goal scoring prowess, he is there to provide some grit. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sens give him a few games in the NHL.

The Sens believe Stone is almost NHL ready. An almost NHL ready scorer will certainly play in the top 6 in the AHL. He'll likely be the #1 RW right away.

Sure, agreed about Cannone. Cannone showed much more last year than Grant, just saying they're on even footing right now when it comes to a top 6 spot. Neither may be in the top 6.

I see it going down as

Hoffman - Da Costa - Stone
Prince - Zibanejad - Petersson
X - Cannone/Grant - Jessiman
X- Cannone/Grant - X

If Zib is in the NHL, move up Cannone/Grant a spot. If there's a lockout, say hello to JOB and maybe even a guy like Turris, so good luck with that Mr. Grant

The Fuhr* 08-12-2012 05:00 PM

When Grant signed Tim Murray said he liked him as a winger more then a center... I would imagine if the depth is heavy up the middle they would give Grant an opportunity on winger on a higher line.