HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Will we keep O'Byrne? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1245829)

Lonewolfe2015 08-13-2012 03:57 PM

Will we keep O'Byrne?

Pretty simple question, do you see him being re-signed, traded or left unsigned into free agency?

I want to keep him, but I'm less and less confident he will remain with the club after the lengthy deals everyone else got.

Please don't get rid of Big Sexy, Sherman.

PAZ 08-13-2012 04:10 PM

Either resigned or traded. Imo Sherman will try to keep him, be he also wouldn't hesitate shipping him out if the right deal came about.

GamingGiant 08-13-2012 04:11 PM

I think it will also have to do with how our prospects continue to develope.

I agree with the OP though. With the contacts that are on the books now I would have to say I don't think we will resign him.

expatriated_texan 08-13-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 53539621)
Pretty simple question, do you see him being re-signed, traded or left unsigned into free agency?

I want to keep him, but I'm less and less confident he will remain with the club after the lengthy deals everyone else got.

Please don't get rid of Big Sexy, Sherman.

Unless he asks for something crazy (like Jeff Finger money) I'd love to see him get another contract here. He is a bit slower than I'd like but he plays his size and is defensively sound. A very solid third pairing guy who doesn't look lost with #4 minutes.

Ivan13 08-13-2012 04:20 PM

I don't see why we would let him go or trade him. He's not some valuable trading chip, he's a pretty big part of our defense and he should be fairly cheap to retain.

S E P H 08-13-2012 04:30 PM

I want to keep him and has been a very underrated player for us, but if there is a right deal for him, then i do not mind trading him.

Freudian 08-13-2012 04:54 PM

I hope so. He's a very good on the third pair and on the PK.

Cypher 08-13-2012 04:55 PM

Keep him. Avs need him, seeing as he's our only NHL dman who's right handed thats not named Johnson.

Mouse21* 08-13-2012 05:05 PM

if we get rid of him theres really no reason to watch this season.

every PK will be a goal. it was bad enough WITH mcclement and rob. without, wow.

CobraAcesS 08-13-2012 05:06 PM

They better keep him... Hes our only big/shutdown right handed NHL defender besides EJ. Barrie & Elliott are both offensive right handed defenders, which is also why I can't really see them both playing on the roster at the same time. Which ever one loses out will be the one traded in the not to distant future.

Gaunce will also probably be traded if he does not start forcing his way past any of the left handed shutdown guys on the roster as well. Especially if he starts to realize they are not going to give him any kind of real shot as it's looking right now.

Yipperfan 08-13-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse21 (Post 53541397)
if we get rid of him theres really no reason to watch this season.

every PK will be a goal. it was bad enough WITH mcclement and rob. without, wow.

? We where 12th in the league at 83% last year, pretty decent if you tell me... McClement was good and all but he will be replaced.

Drizzt1 08-13-2012 05:46 PM

Take grooming out of the equation, and the time it will take to get these guys to develop, I think long term, our core is:-

Johnson, Siemens, Wilson, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce. I actually thought Rutkowski would be in that group to be honest though. Throw in one of O'Byrne, O'Brien for veteran experience and we should be ok, because there is enough choice there for one or two players to not live up to expectation, but us still remain strong from within.

I WOULD still love to see us bring in a quality puck moving defensemen.

Bonzai12 08-13-2012 07:26 PM

must.keep.him.

Avs44 08-13-2012 08:10 PM

Have to keep him.

Yipperfan 08-13-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt1 (Post 53542429)
Take grooming out of the equation, and the time it will take to get these guys to develop, I think long term, our core is:-

Johnson, Siemens, Wilson, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce. I actually thought Rutkowski would be in that group to be honest though. Throw in one of O'Byrne, O'Brien for veteran experience and we should be ok, because there is enough choice there for one or two players to not live up to expectation, but us still remain strong from within.

I WOULD still love to see us bring in a quality puck moving defensemen.

To me that's not a core. It's Johnson and five question marks. We have no way of telling what our core is going to be in lets say 3yr.

Colorado Avalanche 08-13-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGiant (Post 53539993)
I think it will also have to do with how our prospects continue to develope.

I agree with the OP though. With the contacts that are on the books now I would have to say I don't think we will resign him.

Why do you think so? It seems like management believes our current core of defensemen, which includes O'Byrne. They will try to keep him for sure.

(Personally I don't have faith on this defense, we need to get better, because it's terrible currently. Our top-pairing is just weak, we could use one top-pairing defenseman and one other top-4 defenseman.)

Foppa2118 08-13-2012 09:15 PM

I hope they find a way to keep him, because he's very good at his job, is big and can fight, and will never command that much money.

Unfortunately, he's one of only three guys that I can see on the team that have any sort of value, and would open up a spot for an impact player the Avs want to bring in. There's an outside chance maybe McGinn or Downie could be traded if another team insisted, but it's doubtful IMO.

Stastny - UFA in two years. Could be traded if they need to make a change
ROB - UFA next off season. Could be traded if they need to make a change
Wilson - Just signed a three year deal as an RFA. Could possibly get traded if a team asks for him

McGinn - Just brought in, comes cheap, and provides just what the Avs needed
Downie - Same as above
Jones - Just re-signed for four years. Not going anywhere for at least two
Lando - Not a chance
O'Reilly - Highly unlikely
Duchene - Highly unlikely
PAP - Just signed for four years as a UFA. Going nowhere for at least 2-3 years.
Hejduk - Retiring an Av
EJ - Highly unlikely
Zanon - Just signed as a UFA. Staying until at least the 2013-14 trade deadline
Hejda - Only a year into his four year deal, and contract won't be that appealing. Unlikely to be traded for another year
SOB - Just signed a 3 year deal instead of becoming UFA. Staying for at least two.
Hunwick - Just signed a 2 year deal instead of becoming UFA. Staying until at least 2013-14 deadline.
Varly - Staying for at least the remaining two years on his deal
Giguere - Just added a year to his deal. Likely retiring an Av in a couple years

The rest are either 4th liners or prospects. The 4th liners won't add much value in a trade, and neither they or the prospects will open up a spot for someone coming the Avs way to make an impact.

Bonzai12 08-13-2012 10:49 PM

nice post Foppa

Strange, but for being so young the Avs have some bold commitments to some guys already. We're getting to the point where roster spots aren't just available any more on this team. To get some guys we have to move some guys that have at least marginal talent.

PeterForsberg 08-13-2012 11:14 PM

God please keep him.

Zih 08-14-2012 01:01 AM

I'd like to keep him since he's been great for our PK, but I think he's a goner.

We've got Hunwick, Johnson, Zanon, Hejda, O'Brien, and Wilson already signed for the next two years (most of them 3). That makes a full 6 d-men already even before O'Byrne or any of our prospects who will hopefully be competing for spots within the next 2 years.

If O'Byrne survives the trade deadline, I can't see how he re-signs here. I'd much rather have him than Hunwick or O'Brien, but I think the front office feels otherwise.

PAZ 08-14-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zih (Post 53555509)
I'd like to keep him since he's been great for our PK, but I think he's a goner.

We've got Hunwick, Johnson, Zanon, Hejda, O'Brien, and Wilson already signed for the next two years (most of them 3). That makes a full 6 d-men already even before O'Byrne or any of our prospects who will hopefully be competing for spots within the next 2 years.

If O'Byrne survives the trade deadline, I can't see how he re-signs here. I'd much rather have him than Hunwick or O'Brien, but I think the front office feels otherwise.

People are looking too much into contract signings. Sure a lot of them just signed, but they also realize that hockey is business and if the right trade comes about or they start sucking, they'll be shipped out. We resigned these guys to create competition as a short term stop gap. If they see O'Bryne is our future shut-down pairing, they'll keep him.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 08-14-2012 06:50 AM

Really hope the Avs keep ROB, he has really developed his game since coming here and is one of the less appreciated defensive defensemen in the league.

Stories 08-14-2012 07:15 AM

ROB > SOB. If we kept in the inferior one, shouldn't we keep the superior one, too?

Nzap 08-14-2012 10:23 AM

I think we'll trade him part of a package for a better player.
He is a good bottom-pair capable of #4 minutes if needed, so I think he should be kept over Hunwick at least.
I think we have to see SOB next season and see if he smartens up enough to not be a too big of a liability and then make a judgement between the two. Although I feel it's more like SOB vs. Wilson vs. Hejda, not SOB vs. O'Byrne.

Bonzai12 08-14-2012 10:51 AM

I think this is the year Sherminator ships out some 1 or 2 d-men despite all these signings this offseason.