HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs in a couple of years (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1246119)

CL SMOOTH 08-14-2012 04:34 AM

Habs in a couple of years

How well do you think the habs will be in a few years?

They have promising prospects of
Nathan Beaulieu
Danny Kristo
Louis Leblanc
DD
Jarred Tinordi
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
and many more

Have a discussion about this? i'd like to hear what you all have to say.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* 08-17-2012 08:36 PM

Galchenyuk is our future #1 center, Louis Leblanc will probably be a top 9 player. Gallagher will be a top 9 forward, Beaulieu will be our second D, Tinordi will be a big shutdown D capable of playing big minutes. I'd rather have Lars Eller than David Desharnais in that second center spot before you all tell me that DD is better, just look at their age Eller has great potential and is a much better all around player than David Desharnais. I think that when Galchenyuk will be ready Pleky and DD will be traded, hell theres alot of rumors going on that Plekanec would be traded to Chicago for TT and Marc Mcneill. Morgan Ellis could be a very solid 3rd pairing or 2nd pairing D.

JSBach 08-17-2012 10:54 PM

We'll be very good if everybody listed pans out. The only thing is, not everybody listed will pan out.

Bullsmith 08-17-2012 11:52 PM

Habs have a core of young players a glut of decent prospects about to turn pro and a high risk high reward new class of draft picks. Who the hell knows how they look three years from now.

montreal 08-18-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL SMOOTH (Post 53556861)

Nathan Beaulieu
Danny Kristo
Louis Leblanc
DD
Jarred Tinordi
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
and many more

It's hard to say how good they will be down the road since just having good prospects now doesn't mean they will translate as expected over the course of time. That said since Timmins has been on board, the Habs have at least been able to draft a high number of players that see time in the NHL so one would expect that to at least continue.

With Galchenyuk the Habs finally have a top notch center prospect, something they have been lacking for ages. They have drafted a number of interesting D prospects over the past few years, so hopefully a couple will pan out as expected and with Price locked up long term they should be set in net as long as he stays healthy.

But we'll still need to see how it all gels and what the new management can do to improve the roster over the next few years. At this point while I don't know how good they will end up, at least you can say they are looking to be in possibly a very good position in time depending on how they fill out the roster around the likes of Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk, etc....

Playmaker09 08-18-2012 01:45 PM

Assuming Leblanc and Gallagher become top 9 forwards, Galchenyuk a #1 C, Beaulieu and Tinordi second pairing defensemen, we're still short a first line winger and #1/2 D in order for us to be legitimate contenders.

We have no players other than Price who can carry the team (or even a line by themselves) so we'll need to have a very complete lineup from top to bottom.

montreal 08-18-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playmaker09 (Post 53679019)
We have no players other than Price who can carry the team (or even a line by themselves) so we'll need to have a very complete lineup from top to bottom.

I agree they will need a very complete lineup from top to bottom but Subban and Pac can at least easily carry a line by themselves, and there's still the chance that they can improve since both are still young at the age of 23.

FlyingKostitsyn 08-18-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Assuming Leblanc and Gallagher become top 9 forwards, Galchenyuk a #1 C, Beaulieu and Tinordi second pairing defensemen, we're still short a first line winger and #1/2 D in order for us to be legitimate contenders.

Don't expect the Habs (or any other team) to ice a team 100% made of drafted players.

Its usually about 50% which is why the exercise of creating future lineups made entirely of our prospects is futile at best. Your first line winger could be traded for or hired as a UFA (like Cole was). Our no1 D is PK Subban, but we can acquire another top2 D in the next few years.

Unless the next CBA is completely different UFAs are necessary to succeed. Building a team entirely of drafted players would spend little cap space and wouldn't be competitive compared to one that spends its cap space instead of giving icetime to its weaker prospects.

And very few players can really carry a team. Teams with superstars miss the playoffs frequently, they are overrated.

icerocket 08-18-2012 01:59 PM

There will be busts for sure.

I say Leblanc.

dcyhabs 08-18-2012 03:42 PM

At least they will have a backlog. No more rushing.

Franck 08-18-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSBach (Post 53668973)
We'll be very good if everybody listed pans out. The only thing is, not everybody listed will pan out.

Exactly. It'd be an absolute miracle if all the listed prospects turn into decent NHLers, all of them reaching the absolute upside of their potential is literally impossible.

Quote:

As others have already pointed out, you can't fill every need on your roster with drafted players. The Habs will almost certainly pick up a few guys through trades or free agency in the coming seasons.

RC51 08-18-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL SMOOTH (Post 53556861)

Nathan Beaulieu
Danny Kristo
Louis Leblanc
DD
Jarred Tinordi
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
and many more

you have to include the 2013 draft because habs have 1 first and 3 seconds already in the bank. Who knows what the habs can sell at this years trade deadline.

I feel with Timmons totally free to pick now without PG screwing things up we know the kind of picks Timmonds will get the habs in 2013.
Now think of the 2014-2016 years and beyond.

MB would have finally dumped all the BAD contracts by then.
Timmons is laying down a great foundation of new prospects and the 2013 draft we already know is very very deep so Timmons should land at least 2-3 more great prospects and if he can do again what he did this year make that 4-5 great prospects to add to the pool.
Sunny skies ahead for sure for the Habs.