HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Marcel Goc to Buffalo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1246327)

Rivet52 08-14-2012 11:45 AM

Marcel Goc to Buffalo

Goc is someone I've liked for a long time and the Sabres need a bottom-six center. Is there any deal to be made for him? Panthers fans, what would you be looking for in return for Goc? Is he even someone you'd be willing to trade? He could be worth more to Florida than he is to any other team considering their weakness at center aside from Weiss (with uncertainties about Huberdeau making the team and playing center if he does make it). I've been trying to think of some sort of a proposal, but I've got nothing so I want some help.

ShootIt 08-14-2012 11:48 AM

I can't see him being moved right now.

His salary is nice, plays a nice 2 way game, best defensive center etc...

It would have to be for another center, maybe a younger one.

Who do you got?

tsujimoto74 08-14-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootIt (Post 53563295)

Who do you got?

No centers to spare in Buffalo. So probably no deal to be made from Florida's perspective.

bullseyed 08-14-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootIt (Post 53563295)

Who do you got?

Luke Adam.

Spitsfan67* 08-14-2012 12:21 PM

To Sabres:Goc

To Panthers:foligno
5th 2013

Laus723 08-14-2012 12:29 PM

Obviously not untouchable, but I can't see him bein moved. There's no reason to, and as Shootit said we're short on centers. He also mentioned his positives, he's just a great 3rd line center, who will do a well enough job if needed to step into the second line center role.

bullseyed 08-14-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 (Post 53564361)

5th 2013

Buffalo fans say hell no.

Djp 08-14-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

To Panthers:foligno.

5th 2013

Yeah nd I have a piece of swampland to sell you....

Timbo Slice 08-14-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

5th 2013

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Ew.

Anyway, Luke Adam + 3rd round pick for Goc?

Boose30 08-14-2012 01:58 PM

meh not worth it to make a trade for a bum bottom 6 player, just sign a free agent and keep our assets

Coolburn 08-14-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 53567219)
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Ew.

Ok so you're the 2nd person here to suggest Luke Adam. I remember he started out really hot last yr and then disappeared. Whats his story exactly? What is he projected to be?

Spitsfan67* 08-14-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 53567219)
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Ew.

Lol your saying that to my proposal then you offer this hahaha...Luke Adam is better then foligno

Homegrown Kings 08-14-2012 02:11 PM

I've asked this in another thread but never saw if it got a reply.

Why does Buffalo need more C? What do they currently look like at C right now.

I know it's too early for Grig/Girg to be expected to crack the roster, but one of them might be able to get at least 9 games.

Hodgson seems ready for a full time top-6 job. Is Gerbe capable of top-6?

Ott, McCormick, and Porter will fill out the bottom-6 roles.

Not much depth I suppose. Looking at it now I can see the need for a temporary fill while the youth develops. Is Hecht definitely not returning?

Zip15 08-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton (Post 53567885)

I know it's too early for Grig/Girg to be expected to crack the roster, but one of them might be able to get at least 9 games.

We have a lot of potential at center, but many Sabres fans are justifiably concerned that we're clinging to much potential--as they say, potential gets you fired. Ennis has played <30 games of center in his NHL career. Can Hodgson be counted on to produce like a top-6 center? We'll find out. Regardless, those are the two centers to be counted on for offense.

As far as Grigs and Girgs, most expect Girgensons to start the year in Rochester. Because he was drafted out of the USHL, he is not subject to the 9-games rule. Additionally, many don't want to rush Grigorenko and would prefer for him to go back to Quebec for a year, whether or not he plays the first nine games in Buffalo.

Quote:

Not much depth I suppose. Looking at it now I can see the need for a temporary fill while the youth develops. Is Hecht definitely not returning?

Ott will likely take the faceoffs on one of the top three lines. Many are speculating that he'll take the faceoffs on a line with Leino, and then allow Leino to take the center responsibilities for the remainder of the shift, akin to the setup Ville said he had with Briere in Philly. And, as it stands now, the final center spot is probably up for grabs between McCormick, Ellis, and Porter.

The problem is, a lot could go wrong with our center position. One could argue that we only have one natural center on the club right now (Hodgson), and the rest are converted wingers (Ennis), wingers who happen to be good at faceoffs (Ott), or NHL filler (McCormick, Ellis, Porter).

The center situation in Buffalo looks bright for the future, but this season could be very touch-and-go.

tsujimoto74 08-14-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolburn (Post 53567505)
Ok so you're the 2nd person here to suggest Luke Adam. I remember he started out really hot last yr and then disappeared. Whats his story exactly? What is he projected to be?

Top 6 or bust for Luke. He has a big frame, but he doesn't do much hitting. He's also a bit slow and doesn't have great defensive awareness, but he can put up points. Long-term, his game may be more suited to wing than center. He was the AHL rookie of the year in 10-11, and had a hot start with Vanek and Pommer last year. After about 20 games, it looked like he was in over his head on that line, and so he started sliding down the depth chart. Eventually had another shorter hot streak with Leino and Kassian, before Leino got injured and that line was never to be seen again. Adam eventually started being given less opportunities and ended up being sent back down to the AHL, where he played with no confidence whatsoever. Rolston (Rochester's coach) said he was working hard, but it just wasn't clicking for him.
He looked much better at development camp this summer than he did to end out the season (playing LW with Hodgson and Tropp, I think), but looks like he's caught in a numbers game now with all the other young forwards who are likely to push for roster spots in the next 0-2 years.

TL;DR: Talented kid who went through a rough stretch, might do well with a change of scenery.

Layne Staley 08-14-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 (Post 53567625)
Lol your saying that to my proposal then you offer this hahaha...Luke Adam is better then foligno

Foligno is much much better then Luke Adam.Foligno is untouchable.He is a future 2 way 60 point banger.He is really physical, shows immense leadership qualities and put up an amazing 13 points in 14 games last season as a 20 year old rookie.Quite simply, Foligno will be a Sabre for a very very long time.Future captain IMO.

tsujimoto74 08-14-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Hodgson and Ennis are both 23. Ennis only has about 30 games pro experience as a center, and those are the guys we'll be looking to in top 6 roles this year. Bit of a question mark there as to whether either will be up to it.
Ott is really just a winger who's goof at faceoffs. McCormick has a habit of being injured, but it's fine for 4C I guess. Gerbe is a winger, and he plays with Kaleta, so definitely not in the top 6. If it weren't for Leino, I think he'd get a chance to move up the roster more, but it is what it is.
Hecht's injury problems over the last few years have limited his usefulness, and it does not look like he'll be back.
As for Porter, most view him as an AHL signing.
Beyond that, Grigorenko will be given a long look at training camp, I'm sure, but heading into the year with centers who are 23, 23 and 18 isn't the most comforting idea, if he makes the team. Girgensons looked good at development camp, but it's likely he starts the year in the AHL or WHL.

Homegrown Kings 08-14-2012 03:07 PM

Thanks for such detailed answers guys. From what I saw of Hodgson I think you've got a gem but I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with him as the designated 1C at this stage either.

I don't know if Goc is the solution either from what you've said. His numbers are pretty good from last season so he could add some depth to the bottom six but I don't think it solidifies that position.

Langkow is still available, maybe he'd be a good fit?

VegasSabreFan 08-14-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton (Post 53569821)
Thanks for such detailed answers guys. From what I saw of Hodgson I think you've got a gem but I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with him as the designated 1C at this stage either.

I don't know if Goc is the solution either from what you've said. His numbers are pretty good from last season so he could add some depth to the bottom six but I don't think it solidifies that position.

Langkow is still available, maybe he'd be a good fit?

Ideally we could use a veteran 3rd line center capable of filling in in the top 6 if Ennis or Hodgson have any trouble. Not as familiar with Langkow as I never watch Calgary or Phoenix games, but a quick look at his stats gives me some interest. What's the cost going to be?

I still think signing Arnott is the best option.

tsujimoto74 08-14-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan (Post 53572027)
Ideally we could use a veteran 3rd line center capable of filling in in the top 6 if Ennis or Hodgson have any trouble. Not as familiar with Langkow as I never watch Calgary or Phoenix games, but a quick look at his stats gives me some interest. What's the cost going to be?

I still think signing Arnott is the best option.

If we sign Arnott, who on our roster is going to take the defensive match-ups? You'd then have 2 lines with youngsters that would likely benefit from getting easier minutes and a guy who's slowed down and was never a good two-way player....And McCormick. We don't have nearly the caliber of offense necessary to just go "**** defense, let's just outscore them".

PanthersHockey1 08-14-2012 04:42 PM

The panthers are so low in quantity and quality of centers right now. I hope we draft 10 centers in next year's draft just so we can make some deals.

Boooooth10 08-14-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boose30 (Post 53567487)
meh not worth it to make a trade for a bum bottom 6 player, just sign a free agent and keep our assets

Bum? You clearly don't know who Goc is.

Laus723 08-14-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boooooth10 (Post 53573431)
Bum? You clearly don't know who Goc is.

Lol, was about to type the same.

Djp 08-14-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 53568765)
Girgensons looked good at development camp, but it's likely he starts the year in the AHL or WHL.

Girgenson goes to Rochester. He came out of USHL so no juniors for him.

Zman5778 08-14-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 53584443)
Girgenson goes to Rochester. He came out of USHL so no juniors for him.

Girgensons can go to Kelowna if he agrees to it/the Sabres tell him to -- they own his rights.