HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Canucks Fans, which era do you prefer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1246799)

Melrose Munch 08-15-2012 09:13 AM

Canucks Fans, which era do you prefer?

The Sedins/Kesler/Luongo Era or the Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi/Jovanoski era?

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose Munch (Post 53591149)
The Sedins/Kesler/Luongo Era or the Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi/Jovanoski era?

Can I answer with the Linden/Bure/Adams/Courtnall/McLean era?

Melrose Munch 08-15-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 53591181)
Can I answer with the Linden/Bure/Adams/Courtnall/McLean era?

Can a Mod put this in?

Nine to Five 08-15-2012 10:15 AM

The sedin era is definitely a stronger team but the WCE was so much more exciting. High offense led by run and gun crawford with a fourth forward in Jovo and a goalie that couldn't stop a puck.

Unsustainable but those two years of regular season domination were a treat. Of course, it's not surprising that team couldn't do anything in the playoffs playing like that.

The Cowboy Poet 08-15-2012 10:35 AM

Smyl - Gradin - Snepsts era

Luck 6 08-15-2012 10:42 AM

We are a far better team now, and the Sedins are a treat to watch. I'll stick with todays era, we atleast managed to put together an unforgetable cup run.

Mr. Canucklehead 08-15-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose Munch (Post 53591201)
Can a Mod put this in?

Updated with Linden/Bure/etc., and Smyl/Gradin/etc.

For me, it's a toss up between the Linden/Bure/McLean days and the current incarnation. Bure and the Twins are probably the best players I've seen don a Canucks jersey in my lifetime, and McLean and Luongo are the two best stoppers I've seen to date. The 1994 and 2011 Cup Runs were spectacular to watch. As much talent as the WCE had, they never came as close as either of those teams did to glory.

In a pinch, I'd go with today's team.

hockeywoot 08-15-2012 11:06 AM

IMO, current team AINEC.

jimmythescot 08-15-2012 11:11 AM

While I believe this team is the best we've iced, the Linden-Bure-McLean era has the nostalgia of being an adolescent in 1990s Victoria associated with it. So that one.

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 11:16 AM

For me it's the early 90's era team. I think the team we have now is probably the most talented team this organizations had, but far from the most complete team and I don't think they have the biggest heart.

I'm a 7 game series, I could see the 94 team beating the team we have today. That team had skill players like Bure and Courtnall and Ronning, and grit with Linden, Momesso, Odjick, and even some skilled players were gritty too like Bure. They were a lunch pail gang.

Lucbourdon 08-15-2012 11:17 AM

West coast express was imo the best exciting era when it came to talent on the ice.

Canucker 08-15-2012 11:19 AM

Add Messier, Mogilny, Bure. :sarcasm:

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 53594205)
Add Messier, Mogilny, Bure. :sarcasm:

Well those players did lead us to landing the players of the WCE era so..... ;)

Red Haired Shanks 08-15-2012 11:42 AM

WCE has soo many great players that really made this team exciting. nazzy, bert, morrison, jovocop, ohlund, and the great dan cloutier. i think when they played the regular season was a lot more interesting because you wouldnt know where they would place. our division was a lot better as well.

TheDiver* 08-15-2012 11:47 AM

I kinda have to go with the Mike Keenan/Mark Messier/Brian Noonan Era

craigcaulks* 08-15-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine to Five (Post 53592589)
The sedin era is definitely a stronger team but the WCE was so much more exciting. High offense led by run and gun crawford with a fourth forward in Jovo and a goalie that couldn't stop a puck.

Unsustainable but those two years of regular season domination were a treat. Of course, it's not surprising that team couldn't do anything in the playoffs playing like that.

Regular season domination? To see REAL regular season domination, see 2010/2011.

Early to mid 90s were easily the most exciting in team history; you get to add hitting and fighting to offence.

Scottrockztheworld* 08-15-2012 12:11 PM

This era.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Linden, Mclean, Bure, Ronning, Adams...etc but this era of Canucks is the greatest team we've ever ice & the plays being made are simply unreal. Look at any Sedin highlight reel from the past 2 seasons & you are in for a treat. 2 Art Ross', A Hart, Ted Lindsey, Selke, 2 Presidents Trophies. This is the greatest era in our teams history, all we need to top it off is a Cup.

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 53595673)
This era.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Linden, Mclean, Bure, Ronning, Adams...etc but this era of Canucks is the greatest team we've ever ice & the plays being made are simply unreal. Look at any Sedin highlight reel from the past 2 seasons & you are in for a treat. 2 Art Ross', A Hart, Ted Lindsey, Selke, 2 Presidents Trophies. This is the greatest era in our teams history, all we need to top it off is a Cup.

One could also argue that Pavel Bure was more exciting to watch, especially given his style of play.

Scottrockztheworld* 08-15-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 53596155)
One could also argue that Pavel Bure was more exciting to watch, especially given his style of play.

He most certainly was one of the most exciting players to ever play in the NHL. Its all a matter of personal opinion to what kind of hockey you like to watch. Personally to me there is NOTHING better then watching the Sedins/Burrows cycle around an entire team making them look like ECHL'ers & scoring.

Also in my opinion the prettiest goal & most important goal to this Franchise has been scored in this Era.

Prettiest:

Most Important:

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 12:43 PM

I remember the days when Bure got cheapshotted in the Dallas series, and he came back and absolutely smoked Shane Churla. Ahhh good times.

I guess it is personal preference. I quite enjoy a blend of skill and grit which attracts me to that 94 team.

You gotta wonder if Dana Murzyn wouldn't have been injured, would we have won the Cup? Also whatever happened to Nathan Lafayette? PING

Ogie Goldthorpe 08-15-2012 12:45 PM

No love for Lever/Boudrias/Pratt/Smith?

Regardless, my vote went to the 94 era squad. Today's team has way more depth (Nathan Lafayette <spits> wouldn't get out of the AHL), but the 94 squad had that ability to always seem to score when it was needed.* Down 2 going into the 3rd? No problem, Bure hasn't scored yet, so he's due... then both Adams and/or Courtnall could be counted on to come through in the clutch too. Game 7 in the SCF was the only time they let me down. :cry:

* not to mention that McLean, when he was on would always stop the first 2 shots in any series... and if we hadn't cleared it by then, he usually stood a decent chance of stopping the next few too, provided he wasn't flat on his back with a guy sitting on him. The 94 team could afford to play a more balls out offensive style knowing that McLean had their back. Kind of the opposite of the WCE era.

Scottrockztheworld* 08-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 53596843)
I remember the days when Bure got cheapshotted in the Dallas series, and he came back and absolutely smoked Shane Churla. Ahhh good times.

I guess it is personal preference. I quite enjoy a blend of skill and grit which attracts me to that 94 team.

You gotta wonder if Dana Murzyn wouldn't have been injured, would we have won the Cup? Also whatever happened to Nathan Lafayette? PING

He came back with just as big of a cheap shot. That flying elbow would have done Macho Man proud..... such a dirty hit. Could you imagine if he did that in this NHL?

y2kcanucks 08-15-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 53597005)
He came back with just as big of a cheap shot. That flying elbow would have done Macho Man proud..... such a dirty hit. Could you imagine if he did that in this NHL?

He'd definitely be suspended a long time. I was still proud of Bure for standing up for himself though. You hardly see star players doing that nowadays. That entire 94 team was gritty as hell though. I think they would have given the 2011 Bruins team a run for their money to be honest.

As a side note, as much as I like John Shorthouse, I don't think anyone can beat Jim Robson.

Mr. Canucklehead 08-15-2012 01:01 PM

An eye for an eye, that was Bure for you. He'd likely have been suspended for eons in today's league, but the message was clear - don't mess with Bure.

Didn't always work out for him, though - I seem to recall an instance where he dropped his gloves and promptly mangled his finger on a guy's helmet with his first punch. I think he said looking at it nearly made him throw up.

craigcaulks* 08-15-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 53597005)

Mark Messier would have missed 30 games a year due to suspension if he played in this era. Same probably goes for Howe. One eras heroics are another's cheapshot.

15 years ago, Raffi Torres would have made the cover of Don Cherry's Rock em sockem.