HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   2012-13 AHL schedule released (August 17, 2012) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1247415)

AHL News 08-16-2012 02:15 PM

2012-13 AHL schedule released (August 17, 2012)
 
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … Pending its approval by the AHL Board of Governors, the American Hockey League’s 2012-13 regular-season schedule will be released on Friday, August 17, at 3:00 p.m. (more...)

More...

-----------------------------------
Update:

http://theahl.com/2012-13-ahl-schedule-released-p178712

Quote:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League today released the complete schedule of regular-season games for the 2012-13 season, the league’s 77th year of operation. The season, comprising 1,140 games, begins on Fri., Oct. 12 and concludes on Sun., Apr. 21; each of the league’s 30 clubs will play 76 games, 38 at home and 38 on the road.
http://cdn.rapidmanager.com/ahl/file..._sked_team.pdf

ckg927 08-16-2012 03:51 PM

It should NOT take this long to find out schedules for each team.

Lesser leagues have already had theirs in place for weeks. What's keeping the AHL from getting theirs ready in a timely manner?

AdmiralsFan24 08-16-2012 10:16 PM

I think everyone can pretty much figure out their teams' schedules before they even come out. I'll give it a shot for Milwaukee.

12 vs Chicago
12 vs Peoria
12 vs Rockford
8 vs Grand Rapids
4 vs Houston
4 vs San Antonio
4 vs Texas
4 vs Abbotsford
4 vs Oklahoma City
4 vs Hamilton
4 vs Toronto
4 vs Lake Erie
2 vs Charlotte

Sports Enthusiast 08-16-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 53642599)
I think everyone can pretty much figure out their teams' schedules before they even come out. I'll give it a shot for Milwaukee.

12 vs Chicago
12 vs Peoria
12 vs Rockford
8 vs Grand Rapids
4 vs Houston
4 vs San Antonio
4 vs Texas
4 vs Abbotsford
4 vs Oklahoma City
4 vs Hamilton
4 vs Toronto
4 vs Lake Erie
2 vs Charlotte

Lol. Not even the whole Western Conference?

AdmiralsFan24 08-16-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat (Post 53643107)
Lol. Not even the whole Western Conference?

Haven't played the whole Western Conference in years. Probably not going to start now.

axecrew 08-17-2012 12:00 AM

oh boy.....can't wait to see how many times Chicago will play the same 3 or 4 teams this year.

In a year when then NHL is about to crap the bed yet again, the AHL misses out on another chance to broaden the game.

Majik1987 08-17-2012 07:40 AM

Interesting that they didn't bother to release the matrix and then the schedule. I guess they figured they could avoid one round of gripes by releasing the dates and opponents at the same time.

210 08-17-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majik1987 (Post 53647863)
Interesting that they didn't bother to release the matrix and then the schedule. I guess they figured they could avoid one round of gripes by releasing the dates and opponents at the same time.

That's my guess too...

210 08-17-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axecrew (Post 53644739)
oh boy.....can't wait to see how many times Chicago will play the same 3 or 4 teams this year.

In a year when then NHL is about to crap the bed yet again, the AHL misses out on another chance to broaden the game.

How would teams playing more opponents "broaden the game"?

No Fun Shogun 08-17-2012 10:14 AM

eh, I'll just be keeping an eye open for a few key matchups. If the NHL does lockout, think I might very well go to some IceHogs and Rivermen games, in addition to my usual one or two Wolves games as well.

99nogoal 08-17-2012 02:33 PM

Schedule sucks again, Rochester plays the usual Syracuse, Toronto, and Hamilton all season with a couple of random opponents mixed in.

HansH 08-17-2012 02:52 PM

Several teams are playing at least one "home" game in the arena of their NHL parent... more than the typical season, if my eyes and memory don't betray me.

Also, Portland is playing more than a handful of games in Lewiston.

AdmiralsFan24 08-17-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 53642599)
I think everyone can pretty much figure out their teams' schedules before they even come out. I'll give it a shot for Milwaukee.

12 vs Chicago
12 vs Peoria
12 vs Rockford
8 vs Grand Rapids
4 vs Houston
4 vs San Antonio
4 vs Texas
4 vs Abbotsford
4 vs Oklahoma City
4 vs Hamilton
4 vs Toronto
4 vs Lake Erie
2 vs Charlotte

Nailed the division games. Missed on Texas, San Antonio, Toronto, Hamilton and Charlotte. Admirals play Texas, San Antonio, Toronto and Hamilton 2 times and Charlotte 8 times. Everything else was right.

adsfan 08-19-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 53660843)
Nailed the division games. Missed on Texas, San Antonio, Toronto, Hamilton and Charlotte. Admirals play Texas, San Antonio, Toronto and Hamilton 2 times and Charlotte 8 times. Everything else was right.

Well done. I didn't expect Charlotte playing 8 against Milwaukee. No Rochester again.

ckg927 08-19-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 53650517)
eh, I'll just be keeping an eye open for a few key matchups. If the NHL does lockout, think I might very well go to some IceHogs and Rivermen games, in addition to my usual one or two Wolves games as well.

With me, I'll probably take in some Amerk and Bulldog games(maybe Marlies, too; they're all within a 90-minute drive of Buffalo).

Don't forget that you have the USHL's Steel as an option, too.

axecrew 08-19-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 53648063)
How would teams playing more opponents "broaden the game"?

Oh i don't know......maybe give fans in other cities a chance to see players or teams they normally wouldn't. Maybe that casual fan becomes a full-time fan after seeing some new opponent. I happen to know of people who don't go to games simply because they feel they can see that team any of the other 4 or 5 times they come to town.

No Fun Shogun 08-20-2012 10:26 AM

I've only been following the AHL for a few years now, since I moved to Chicago's northwest suburbs and going to Wolves games became somewhat convenient for me, and I'm not going to lie.... not having the opportunity to see a couple of the eastern teams at all during the regular season, especially Hershey, is disappointing for me.

I know, it's to cut down on travel costs, but having a home and away series against every team in the other conference would seem like a smart move, imho. Heck, that very proposal was essentially the only reason I was actually kind of okay with the NHL's prior proposed realignment plan.

210 08-20-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axecrew (Post 53714349)
Oh i don't know......maybe give fans in other cities a chance to see players or teams they normally wouldn't. Maybe that casual fan becomes a full-time fan after seeing some new opponent. I happen to know of people who don't go to games simply because they feel they can see that team any of the other 4 or 5 times they come to town.

I think you're reaching a tad there.

AdmiralsFan24 08-20-2012 04:43 PM

Fans really aren't asking for a lot. Just a few games a year against teams from the other conference. Or at the very least playing every team from the conference you're in.

When nearly 50% of your team's games are against three teams, that's not fun for anybody.

If they could just expand the season to 78 games you could make a really simple schedule that everyone would know before the season.

-A home and home against one division from the opposite conference = 10 games

-4 games against each team from the same conference that isn't in the division = 40 games

-8 games against two teams from same division and 6 games against the other two = 28 games

Simple. Division rivalries are still intact, you just rotate them every year. Example if Milwaukee plays Chicago and Rockford 8 times one year, they play them 6 times the next year and then they get 8 games against Peoria and Grand Rapids.

Same for games against the opposite conference. Say the Midwest gets matched up with the Atlantic, the North gets matched up with the Northeast and the West gets matched up with the East. Just rotate that every year.

Now every team is playing 19 teams each year with 5 new teams each year.

axecrew 08-21-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 53730383)
I think you're reaching a tad there.

Then you're the only one.

Sports Enthusiast 08-21-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 53719907)
I've only been following the AHL for a few years now, since I moved to Chicago's northwest suburbs and going to Wolves games became somewhat convenient for me, and I'm not going to lie.... not having the opportunity to see a couple of the eastern teams at all during the regular season, especially Hershey, is disappointing for me.

I know, it's to cut down on travel costs, but having a home and away series against every team in the other conference would seem like a smart move, imho. Heck, that very proposal was essentially the only reason I was actually kind of okay with the NHL's prior proposed realignment plan.

I don't get this gripe over travel costs when like half the AHL teams are NHL owned. Whos whiny line is that? The NHL's weak easy decision or is it the local owners idea?

AdmiralsFan24 08-21-2012 06:57 AM

There should be no gripe over travel costs because a bunch of teams are close together for the most part. Sure you'd have to take flights to get there but after that you can bus.

You can bus from Texas (Austin) to San Antonio to Houston and I suppose if you had to, Oklahoma City.

You can bus from Peoria to Rockford to Chicago to Milwaukee.

You could bus from Hamiton to Toronto to Rochester.

All the Eastern teams can bus. The only outliers where you would for sure have to fly or it's iffy if you don't are Abbotsford, Charlotte, Norfolk, Lake Erie, St. John's and Grand Rapids.

Sports Enthusiast 08-21-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 53744381)
There should be no gripe over travel costs because a bunch of teams are close together for the most part. Sure you'd have to take flights to get there but after that you can bus.

You can bus from Texas (Austin) to San Antonio to Houston and I suppose if you had to, Oklahoma City.

You can bus from Peoria to Rockford to Chicago to Milwaukee.

You could bus from Hamiton to Toronto to Rochester.

All the Eastern teams can bus. The only outliers where you would for sure have to fly or it's iffy if you don't are Abbotsford, Charlotte, Norfolk, Lake Erie, St. John's and Grand Rapids.

Isn't flying these days in the long run almost cheaper with these gas prices?

RampageNate 08-21-2012 08:24 AM

I hate the schedule as much as anybody, but its really easy to poopoo travel costs when its not your money.

axecrew 08-21-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 53744381)
There should be no gripe over travel costs because a bunch of teams are close together for the most part. Sure you'd have to take flights to get there but after that you can bus.

You can bus from Texas (Austin) to San Antonio to Houston and I suppose if you had to, Oklahoma City.

You can bus from Peoria to Rockford to Chicago to Milwaukee.

You could bus from Hamiton to Toronto to Rochester.

All the Eastern teams can bus. The only outliers where you would for sure have to fly or it's iffy if you don't are Abbotsford, Charlotte, Norfolk, Lake Erie, St. John's and Grand Rapids.

You really could add Grand Rapids and even Cleveland ,to some extent, to this....GR is only 3 hrs by bus from Chicago and Cleveland is something like 5 from GR.

The bottomline to all of this is yes you can poo poo the argument of travel cost since it isn't our money all you want, but Dave Andrews has said in conversation with me and also on record that a large portion of the teams( see eastern seaboard) don't want to travel.
Technically though it is our money since our ticket money goes to various operating cost such as travel and hotels,meals,etc.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.