HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Wings to Cancel Prospects Tournament (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1247455)

SoupNazi 08-16-2012 03:19 PM

Wings to Cancel Prospects Tournament

Per Twitter. http://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/sta...91395315056640

Quote:

#RedWings to cancel prospects tournament in Traverse City. GM Ken Holland: "Due to uncertainty ... we have determined to cancel."
http://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/sta...95055612862464

Quote:

Spoke to DET GM Ken Holland. Said as far as #RedWings main training camp, hotel still booked, it's wait-and-see with CBA talks situation

Frk It 08-16-2012 03:35 PM

pretty pissed off

Capsized 08-16-2012 03:37 PM

Next stop, training camp. The prospect of a full season isn't looking good.

JmanWingsFan 08-16-2012 03:39 PM

As much as I understand that the CBA is key to a healthy league, I can't help but facepalm every time I think to myself how it's millionaires arguing with billionaires over money...

And this is costing us hockey, and the prospect tournament is now scrapped because of it.

Shoalzie 08-16-2012 03:41 PM

If we don't have hockey starting on time this year, I'm entirely on the players' side...not their fault the owners are bad with money.

The Zetterberg Era 08-16-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 53632281)
If we don't have hockey starting on time this year, I'm entirely on the players' side...not their fault the owners are bad with money.

Could be, I would rather not be on either side both of them know what is at stake. I will have a hard time not being mad at both, especially with how long it took the players to actually get to the bargaining table. I mean Fehr has been saying all year we will get around to it and now seems upset that they are pressed for time, the owners demands are crazy, but how did it not happen in February is still my question?

WingedWheel1987 08-16-2012 03:53 PM

Players will cave. The only uncertainty is when.

mindfly 08-16-2012 04:06 PM

Why do they need a new CBA just to host a prospect tournament?

The Zetterberg Era 08-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfly (Post 53633003)
Why do they need a new CBA just to host a prospect tournament?

Sort of true. Problem is the organizations basically go into hiding whenever this happens. Having a place where you know 8 GMs are going to be and a ton of hockey people probably isn't what Ilitch and the Owners want if they lock the players out.

mindfly 08-16-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 53633063)
Sort of true. Problem is the organizations basically go into hiding whenever this happens. Having a place where you know 8 GMs are going to be and a ton of hockey people probably isn't what Ilitch and the Owners want if they lock the players out.

I never understood the details in this whole mess and I still don't understand why Illitch would be pissed off if the prospects (who won't play on the wings this year) played a tournament.

Isn't this whole issue more about the economy of the phoenixs, floridas, carolinas etc, IIRC Illitch and DRW is a pretty wealthy franchise...

WingedWheel1987 08-16-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfly (Post 53633171)
I never understood the details in this whole mess and I still don't understand why Illitch would be pissed off if the prospects (who won't play on the wings this year) played a tournament.

Isn't this whole issue more about the economy of the phoenixs, floridas, carolinas etc, IIRC Illitch and DRW is a pretty wealthy franchise...

You have to be united. You cant have owners and players mingling during CBA negotiations. It reflects poorly on the players and owners.

Illitch isnt mad at the prospects, but its just how these things go in professional sports.

The Zetterberg Era 08-16-2012 04:50 PM

This is not a good sign as far as I am concerned with how ownership feels the negotiations are going.

jaster 08-16-2012 05:13 PM

I have zero expectation that this season will start on time. Hopefully it will be going by the end of December though, obviously. And hopefully DirecTV doesn't charge me for a whole season :laugh:

GT500x 08-16-2012 05:23 PM

Ffffffuuuuuuuuu#%! D:

Konnan511 08-16-2012 06:57 PM

Wings called in today and cancelled all their rooms :(

Harnessed in Slums 08-16-2012 07:59 PM

This ****ing pisses me off. Of course it's the owners' fault but they can lock the players out and eventually the players will cave. The players can take as strong a stand as they like, but we won't see another NHL game unless the owners get a new CBA to their liking. In the meantime it will kill the league and will basically be a big **** you to the fans who support the game.

I'm so ****ing sick of Gary Bettman and the piece of **** owners who need to kill the game because their franchises ****ing suck ass. :rant:

VladTheImpaler 08-16-2012 09:06 PM

Third lockout under Bettman's leadership. Inexcusable.

JmanWingsFan 08-16-2012 09:20 PM

You. Gotta. Be. Kidding. Me. FRK THEM ALL!

crashman 08-16-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabricoh (Post 53639279)
This ****ing pisses me off. Of course it's the owners' fault but they can lock the players out and eventually the players will cave. The players can take as strong a stand as they like, but we won't see another NHL game unless the owners get a new CBA to their liking. In the meantime it will kill the league and will basically be a big **** you to the fans who support the game.

I'm so ****ing sick of Gary Bettman and the piece of **** owners who need to kill the game because their franchises ****ing suck ass. :rant:

I hear ya. I'm getting tired of the NHL's bush league status. They need to accept the fact that there's not a huge market for hockey in the US and eliminate a few of these struggling teams.

I don't know if my loyalty to the NHL will survive another lockout so soon. The way the game is played and officiated is already making me lose some interest.

hockeyisforeveryone 08-16-2012 09:56 PM

An NHL lockout is (almost) meaningless if you yourself play the game of ice hockey. All I really care about this month is the new equipment I'm breaking in and getting my team's roster locked down. If there is a lockout the only way to keep any thread of sanity will be to at least get some skates and go find some ice.

Still sorry there will be no prospect tourney though. :(

SoupNazi 08-16-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler (Post 53640931)
Third lockout under Bettman's leadership. Inexcusable.

This.

Vatican Roulette 08-16-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupNazi (Post 53642115)
This.

+2

Lockout's aren't good for either side at this moment. I hope both parties realize that, before they collectively shoot themselves in the foot.

----------------------------------

Crazy, dumb, borderline mouthbreather question.

Could there a possibility of another league starting in the next 10 years? I'm thinking something along the lines of the WHA. Not the KHL, cause it basically acquires most europeans and high level AHLers. I'm asking about more of a NA league.

Am I out to lunch?

Harnessed in Slums 08-16-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone (Post 53642105)
An NHL lockout is (almost) meaningless if you yourself play the game of ice hockey. All I really care about this month is the new equipment I'm breaking in and getting my team's roster locked down. If there is a lockout the only way to keep any thread of sanity will be to at least get some skates and go find some ice.

Still sorry there will be no prospect tourney though. :(

No offense, but hey, why don't you go to the forum where everyone is eagerly talking about your team and the league you play in. What's that, there isn't one? No one thought there'd be the slightest interest in talking about your league? Big bummer there, pal. :shakehead

Sorry, but you're basically being the spokesperson for the Iraq govt who claimed Iraq was stoutly defending it's nation against the infidels while in the background there were images of US tanks rolling down the streets of Baghdad. :facepalm:

hockeyisforeveryone 08-16-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabricoh (Post 53642619)
No offense, but hey, why don't you go to the forum where everyone is eagerly talking about your team and the league you play in. What's that, there isn't one? No one thought there'd be the slightest interest in talking about your league? Big bummer there, pal. :shakehead

Sorry, but you're basically being the spokesperson for the Iraq govt who claimed Iraq was stoutly defending it's nation against the infidels while in the background there were images of US tanks rolling down the streets of Baghdad. :facepalm:

There is a forum here where we do, called "the rink".

I just feel that if you are an ice hockey player not getting to watch other men play the game isn't the end of the world. I still feel at this point that the NHL players and owners will iron out any remaining wrinkles. The current article on NHL.com is encouraging and positive that a new agreement will be made. Fret not, bro.

Harnessed in Slums 08-16-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone (Post 53643239)
There is a forum here where we do, called "the rink".

I just feel that if you are an ice hockey player not getting to watch other men play the game isn't the end of the world. I still feel at this point that the NHL players and owners will iron out any remaining wrinkles. The current article on NHL.com is encouraging and positive that a new agreement will be made. Fret not, bro.

Yes, it is a thread about hockey equipment, which is all well and good. It doesn't have anything to do with your league or your team. By all means enjoy playing the game but the vast majority are here to talk about the NHL. So wait, the NHL website tells people to relax and not worry. Like Baghdad Bob! Well that's certainly comforting. :sarcasm: