HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Which players have breakout/bounceback seasons? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1247581)

Vankiller Whale 08-16-2012 08:48 PM

Which players have breakout/bounceback seasons?
 
Which of these players do significantly better than last year?

KISSland 08-16-2012 08:55 PM

Mason Raymond with 30 goals and 25 assists.

aandbreatheme 08-16-2012 08:55 PM

Kesler (has to be an absolute must if we want to be successful)
Booth
Kassian (I'm not expecting him to save the world, but hopefully more development and step toward the right direction)
*Edler (would like to see more consistency)

Royal Canuck 08-16-2012 08:58 PM

going with Tanev, Kassian and Kesler.

Reverend Mayhem 08-16-2012 09:28 PM

I don't know if I'm a bit of an optimist or just have low expectations. However, I picked Booth, Malhotra, Tanev, and Kesler.

Booth I think is contingent of Kesler. Though I think Booth'll put up the 25-25-50 we all saw him hitting last year.

Malhotra really coming off that bad injury and having to play a smaller role on the team hurt his game. Especially having to shift to wing after the faceoff. This changes this year and IMO he wins back the 3rd line center role although still not as good as his first year here.

Tanev I think will be so smooth and steady and will surprise many other fans around the league with how mature his game has become. Maybe he even helps Ballard out.

Kesler I think will have a bounceback year. Not in the regular season. I think he learns as the season goes on how much he is needed to play like he did in the 2011 playoffs and he really steps up in April forward. I'm not saying he'll play like he against Nashville, but he'll be noticeably better.

Henrik To Daniel 08-16-2012 09:32 PM

why are the sedins not options? i think if both are healthy they will reach the 90 point plateau (if there is a full season). henrik will lead the league in assists for the 4th year in a row and cement himself as a future hall of famer (not that he isn't one already)

Vankiller Whale 08-16-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel (Post 53641573)
why are the sedins not options? i think if both are healthy they will reach the 90 point plateau (if there is a full season). henrik will lead the league in assists for the 4th year in a row and cement himself as a future hall of famer (not that he isn't one already)

I don't see Henrik leading the Western Conference in points and the league in assists as requiring a bounceback. Scoring in the WC was very low this year. Also for Edler, he's been doing very well when on his game, and while consistency is still an issue, this poll is more for players who are significantly underperforming their potential.

CCF23 08-16-2012 09:42 PM

I picked Kesler and Booth. I'll list my reasons for picking or not picking each of the listed.

Kesler - I don't think he'll come back until he's ready this year and I feel like coming back early last year he never really got his confidence up. He was struggling because of coming back too early and got frustrated. We never really saw him get into a groove. I think he'll be much better prepared to come back this season when he's finally healthy.

Raymond - I don't feel like he'll ever score 25 goals or 50 points again. I feel like you can expect more of the same next year if he plays the full year...15 goals or so and 35 points. Don't think you'll see a "bounce back" to what he was 3 seasons ago.

Ballard - We have a very clear top 4 here now, so you'll never see big numbers out of Ballard. In terms of defensive play, I thought he was pretty good last year, so I expect more of the same and a stable pairing with Tanev.

Tanev - I already feel like he's a good defensive 3rd pairing guy. Don't think the numbers will take a bump so you won't be able to consider it a "breakout" season, but he'll compliment Ballard well to form a good third pairing.

Malhotra - Unfortunately, I think the eye injury did him in. He'll never be the same.

Kassian - Don't think he'll get the chance quite yet to have a breakout season. I think he'll be good, but his breakout season will be next year (20+ goals, 40+ points next year, not this year).

Booth - I believe if he stays healthy he's a 25-30 goal scorer here. He's streaky, but there will be times where he catches fire and scores 4 or 5 goals in a 3 or 4 game stretch. I think most will be pleasantly surprised with his production. 30 goals and 55 points.

Derp Kassian 08-16-2012 09:44 PM

Booth will be a legit top 6 player next year.

Canucker 08-16-2012 09:44 PM

It won't be Kesler, Tanev doesn't have the offensive upside IMO, neither does Malhotra, Ballard will improve but won't see enough quality icetime to make a big difference, Kassian would be nice but still a bit raw to me...IMO it'll be between Raymond and Booth. I went with Raymond just because he's got a lot to prove and I think he has the motivation, skill and experience to make it happen.

Vankiller Whale 08-16-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF23 (Post 53641795)
I picked Kesler and Booth. I'll list my reasons for picking or not picking each of the listed.

Kesler - I don't think he'll come back until he's ready this year and I feel like coming back early last year he never really got his confidence up. He was struggling because of coming back too early and got frustrated. We never really saw him get into a groove. I think he'll be much better prepared to come back this season when he's finally healthy.

Raymond - I don't feel like he'll ever score 25 goals or 50 points again. I feel like you can expect more of the same next year if he plays the full year...15 goals or so and 35 points. Don't think you'll see a "bounce back" to what he was 3 seasons ago.

Ballard - We have a very clear top 4 here now, so you'll never see big numbers out of Ballard. In terms of defensive play, I thought he was pretty good last year, so I expect more of the same and a stable pairing with Tanev.

Tanev - I already feel like he's a good defensive 3rd pairing guy. Don't think the numbers will take a bump so you won't be able to consider it a "breakout" season, but he'll compliment Ballard well to form a good third pairing.

Malhotra - Unfortunately, I think the eye injury did him in. He'll never be the same.

Kassian - Don't think he'll get the chance quite yet to have a breakout season. I think he'll be good, but his breakout season will be next year (20+ goals, 40+ points next year, not this year).

Booth - I believe if he stays healthy he's a 25-30 goal scorer here. He's streaky, but there will be times where he catches fire and scores 4 or 5 goals in a 3 or 4 game stretch. I think most will be pleasantly surprised with his production. 30 goals and 55 points.

Just to give the flip side, imo:

Kesler - A full time to recover and to be fully injury free for the 1st time in a while will make him hungry and able return to an-on pace for 40 goal season.

Raymond - I doubt he's truly lost his touch, as when he first came back he played fairly well before fading. It's not likely, but not completely impossible with a full offseason he can regain his endurance for the season.

Ballard- was misused, tried on his wrong side, etc, before finally setlling in with Tanev on the third pairing. Right now the only thig restricting him is minutes, but if the playoffs are anything to go by, he may have finally got his game together.

Tanev - Improved shot = better ability to capitalize on his good hockey sense.

Kassian- Because he would be the perfect fit for the 2nd line. Give him solid minutes with solid players(maybe with the Sedins while Kesler's out) to give him the experience and confidence to play a dominating game.

Malhotra- Most unlikely, imo, but perhaps with some vigorous training he can regain his form. Otherwise I think we should retire him and add him as a coach for taking playoffs(maybe give Henrik some pointers...)

Booth- Did a pretty decent job this year despite coming off a huge injury. I expect him to be a legit top-6 winger this season.

That said, I voted for Ballard, Kesler, Kassian, Booth.

serge2k 08-16-2012 09:58 PM

Edler will breakout by finally hitting 50 points and being consistent defensively.

kevinsane 08-16-2012 10:29 PM

Aaron Rome will flourish in his new home, tie Erik Karlsson for points, win the Norris, and relegate Cam Neely to the second best we ever let slip away.
His replica jersey will outsell Crosby's.

overtherainbow 08-16-2012 11:04 PM

Jannik Hansen.

When he was paired up with Cody Hodgson they were a legitimate ES Scoring threat. Hodgson is gone, but Hansen's going to work even better with a new rookie center who has better speed, better shot, and better defensive awareness.

Kass Effect 08-16-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsane (Post 53642893)
Aaron Rome will flourish in his new home, tie Erik Karlsson for points, win the Norris, and relegate Cam Neely to the second best we ever let slip away.
His replica jersey will outsell Crosby's.

...and he almost pulls a Rory Fitzpatrick... and gets voted into the all-star game.

DennisReynolds 08-16-2012 11:11 PM

Ballard. He will score 7 goals and 23 assits to get 30 points and have one of his best defensive years.

Verviticus 08-16-2012 11:49 PM

i actually clicked them all and probably would have checked the rest if they were available

burr, higgins, lappy and weise are about the only dude i don't expect to do better this year because they did pretty well last year

Wisp 08-16-2012 11:53 PM

I'm hoping everyone who needs to does.

Especially Manny.

WinterEmpire 08-16-2012 11:58 PM

I have a feeling that Booth and Kassian are going to gain a chemistry together on the second line. Their play styles would be quite effective together. Ballard is going to have a steady partner in Tanev all year and he'll be able to build on his play from the end of last year.

Kesler depends entirely if there is a lockout or not. If he gets some extra time to heal and have some semblance of offseason training then he'll be back into Selke form I think.

KISSland 08-17-2012 12:08 AM

Serious answer:

I'm going with Booth.

Kesler with his injury I see another disappointing season.

LickTheEnvelope 08-17-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figz14 (Post 53640649)
Mason Raymond with 30 goals and 25 assists.

On the 4th line? :help:

VinnyC 08-17-2012 12:17 AM

Kesler - He's going to miss a pretty good chunk of the season but I think his PPG will be better this time around. Won't be in Selke form but better than last season, likely score as many points in less games and hopefully less whining/diving.

Raymond - The offseason will help him for sure, I'm sure that if he sees some PP/top 6 duty he'll score 20-20.

Ballard - Since he definitively won't see PP duty I don't expect his point totals to be anywhere close to his Phoenix/Florida days but he's been looking more and more stable in the backend. Having a confident Ballard and Tanev together could seriously impact our defensive game and yield huge rewards in the post-season.

Tanev - Continuing from above, if Tanev's shot show a decent improvement (to go along with his confidence) he'll score 20-25 points and provide not only a bit more offensive punch but steady D-zone play. It's not going to be an Ehrhoff-like breakout, that could only happen way down the line.

Malhotra - His play will be a bit better from last season but he won't be back into Selke-voting range. So long as he keeps eating all the tough minutes while winning them defensive draws and chipping in some points, it's all good.

Kassian - He'll be a bottom 6 mainstay, plugging in holes in the top 6 whenever necessary. I see him potting 20-30 points, won't explode offensive unless he gels instantly with Kesler and Booth.

Booth - He'll be the Canuck who bounces back the strongest. Might miss a few games but he'll score 25-30 goals and pot ~55 points if all goes well in the health front.

David Booth Fan 08-17-2012 12:23 AM

wouldnt be a bounce back but ive got a good feeling about Garrison

Scottrockztheworld* 08-17-2012 12:47 AM

Ryan Kesler - He won't come back early & will come back strong.

Chris Tanev - He'll be playing a lot of minutes & getting points

Manny Malhotra - A full off season does him so much wonders. I think a lot of people underestimate him.

Zack Kassian - I can see him getting shifts after a pk with the Sedins. I could also see 25-30 points & a physical presence being something that really helps the bottom 6.

mstad101 08-17-2012 02:08 AM

Only votes for Kassian. I don't think it'll be a full breakout, but it'll be a coming out kind of for the young power forward. He'll cement himself as an NHL forward and have 10 goals 25 points. I think he'll earn 15 mins a game by seasons end and be a regular on the 2nd PP as the net front guy.

Kesler I suspect to continue to be a bit slow and off for atleast a full month after returning which will impact his overal production.
Raymond I don't have faith for, never been a big fan of his. Think he'll play his way off the Nucks by the deadline.
Malhotra will be the 4th liner he was last year with maybe a slight upgrade in stamina and energy but I don't see him ever reclaiming the 3rd line center role.
Booth is the one I think has the best chance to prove not voting for him was a mistake. But for now I'll keep my expectations for Booth at 20 goals 40 points until he has a fully Healthy and flying Kesler.


One player I hope to see break out from his current role is Lapierre. I think he can progress further and become our 3rd line guy. Some more dicipline and the right line mates, he should be able to be our reliable shut down center. Though I don't think he has 40 point potential, he has atleast 25 point potential.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.