HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Everybody's talking about a two month lockout," says Cherry. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1248361)

misterjaggers 08-18-2012 05:51 PM

"Everybody's talking about a two month lockout," says Cherry.
 
"I'm afraid it looks like two months. Everybody's talking that they're going to be out two months," Cherry said.

So, Cherry's contacts expect a lockout similar to what transpired in '94.
http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2012/...th-nhl-lockout

EverettMike 08-18-2012 06:06 PM

Watermelon predicts three!.

Banana says no lockout.

Go banana!

GordonHowe 08-18-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverettMike (Post 53684247)
Watermelon predicts three!.

Banana says no lockout.

Go banana!


Classic Bruins, he we come!
:cry::laugh:

Gobias Industries 08-18-2012 06:52 PM

The notion of "everyone talking" two months is so entirely laughable...

sooshii 08-18-2012 06:53 PM

I'm on Team Banana!

misterjaggers 08-18-2012 06:54 PM

I could deal with a reprise of the '94 lockout, but not a repeat of the '04 debacle.

ssault 08-18-2012 08:10 PM

#Banana2012

I'd love to know who "everybody" actually is. Is he hearing the voices again?

Mongo 08-18-2012 08:21 PM

Watched the free agent special on NESN during day one of Free agency. They interviewed Kelly and he said it wouldn't surprise him, based on what he was hearing, that the opening puck drop would be the winter classic. So this kind of talk surely isn't new or far fetched.

EverettMike 08-18-2012 08:37 PM

Team Banana and #Banana2012....I want to hug you both.

misterjaggers 08-18-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 53686727)
Watched the free agent special on NESN during day one of Free agency. They interviewed Kelly and he said it wouldn't surprise him, based on what he was hearing, that the opening puck drop would be the winter classic. So this kind of talk surely isn't new or far fetched.

Agreed. If we polled our members right now, I bet a majority fear a lockout of some duration. Hopefully it'll be briefer than what happened in '94.

misterjaggers 08-18-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobias Industries (Post 53685049)
The notion of "everyone talking" two months is so entirely laughable...

Lots of people are talking about the possibility of a lockout. What's funny about it?

DarrenBanks56 08-18-2012 09:31 PM

i wouldnt mind a lockout until january.
get some $$ back for the games missed.
the games are usually meaningless oct-jan anyways
and there is football going on.

then hopefully we get some perks again when they start up.

i know i wouldnt mind it and will always be a fan, but 3 lockouts since 94 is a joke.

misterjaggers 08-18-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 (Post 53688117)
i wouldnt mind a lockout until january.
get some $$ back for the games missed.
the games are usually meaningless oct-jan anyways
and there is football going on.

then hopefully we get some perks again when they start up.

i know i wouldnt mind it and will always be a fan, but 3 lockouts since 94 is a joke.

82 games is too long. Gotta agree with you there.

Boston Bruno 08-18-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterjaggers (Post 53688195)
82 games is too long. Gotta agree with you there.

82 is too long - they should play every team twice, and have all the teams qualify for playoffs double knock out

I am a fan, but if this happens again, I am going to really take a closer look at WHL around here. I really dont want to harbor ill will to the NHL, but slapping your customers around like this is just wrong.

Certainly wont be paying for center ice as a minimum.

Random Bruins Fan 08-18-2012 10:05 PM

A couple of months sounds about right, something like what the NBA just had.

One theory I have heard that makes sense is that alot of the owners who are losing money aren't in a real hurry and will hold out to negotiate. Many are losing money and these tend to be the smaller US markets who have to compete with the World Series and college football/NFL in the fall which makes fall the worst time of year for them. I'm sure in Dallas, the Stars are barely on the radar until after the Cowboys are done their season.

stick9 08-18-2012 10:24 PM

Any sort of lockout hurts this league. The last CBA resulted in an entire season lost. Where the hell is the urgency? It's almost like they want to take a few months off.

EverettMike 08-18-2012 10:25 PM

PREDICTION:

No missed games.

Team Banana.

(I honestly believe this.)

dafoomie 08-18-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobias Industries (Post 53685049)
The notion of "everyone talking" two months is so entirely laughable...

The players leverage will never be higher than it'll be when the Winter Classic is on the line. The league doesn't want to lose the game and the players know that holding out beyond that point won't achieve anything.

FutureConsiderations 08-19-2012 12:01 AM

What "everyone" is saying on August 18th matters not. What "everyone" is saying the day before the deadline is what matters. Remember when the NFL was certain to miss at least 4 weeks? And don't forget, the owners have skin in the game beyond their own team. They all collectively own Phoenix, which is already a disaster before a single lost game and they might be buying part of NJ.

Nothing to see here. Don Cherry has been "unplugged" (in a lot of ways) for over a decade. I take his opinion on the rules with a half pound of salt and his opinions on everything else he can keep.

BubbaBoot 08-19-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverettMike (Post 53689011)
PREDICTION:

No missed games.

Team Banana.

(I honestly believe this.)

I am the Big Banana...

Dellstrom 08-19-2012 12:36 AM

I'd survive a month. Two is pushing it.

Any more than that involves going to Bass Pro Shops. And not to buy a fishing rod.

misterjaggers 08-19-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations (Post 53690531)
What "everyone" is saying on August 18th matters not. What "everyone" is saying the day before the deadline is what matters. Remember when the NFL was certain to miss at least 4 weeks? And don't forget, the owners have skin in the game beyond their own team. They all collectively own Phoenix, which is already a disaster before a single lost game and they might be buying part of NJ.

Nothing to see here. Don Cherry has been "unplugged" (in a lot of ways) for over a decade. I take his opinion on the rules with a half pound of salt and his opinions on everything else he can keep.

So, in your opinion it doesn't matter if the two sides are far apart and there's a general mood of pessimism after the first day of talks. They're just as likely to reach agreement in a timely fashion as though the two sides weren't far apart and optimism ruled. That's interesting.

TwineTickler 08-19-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 (Post 53688117)
i wouldnt mind a lockout until january.
get some $$ back for the games missed.
the games are usually meaningless oct-jan anyways
and there is football going on.

then hopefully we get some perks again when they start up.

i know i wouldnt mind it and will always be a fan, but 3 lockouts since 94 is a joke.

Blasphemy. I want all 82 games. In fact. Give me like 60 more. Just play hockey all year. Can't get enough. It's so good. It feels so good when it hits your eyes, and goes into your mind grapes.

beantown bullies 08-19-2012 01:53 AM

I really hate that there may be a lockout and I think that having a lockout ruins the growth that the NHL has gained since the last lockout. With that being said, if there is a suspended season, I see the league opening with the Thanksgiving Day game and not the Winter Classic. Last year, Bruins-Detroit was the Thanksgiving Showdown on NBC; opening the season then provides a day where the NHL on a Friday can follow the NFL on Thanksgiving Thursday, a day where most in the United States have off, as a season opener and also leads to a month of HBO 24/7 as a prelude to the New Years Day Winter Classic. As a B's fan, more importantly as a hockey fan, I'd obviously rather the season open on time, but I think the timeline of the Thanksgiving Showdown followed by the lead to the Winter Classic would do well ratings wise.

misterjaggers 08-19-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwineTickler (Post 53692093)
Blasphemy. I want all 82 games. In fact. Give me like 60 more. Just play hockey all year. Can't get enough. It's so good. It feels so good when it hits your eyes, and goes into your mind grapes.

Brings back fond memories of hockey camp in the summer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.