HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do the Canadiens Make the Play-offs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1248603)

Double XX L 08-19-2012 10:27 AM

Do the Canadiens Make the Play-offs?

I know... simple question... but I am curious as to where the base stands on this issue...

Some are leaning one way, others another...

But bottom line, what is the perception of this team?

I personally do like the make up of the team... There ARE a few question marks... But if things go right, I have a better feeling about this team than ones even in recent memory.

I do believe they have what it takes to surprise, and take a 3-6 position for a playoff run.
Of course, it will all depend on how they handle the other teams in the division.

I know many can or may assume my rose coloured glasses are tinting the issue...
But the things Im looking at that leads me this way are:

1) 2 X 30 goal scorers on this team for the first time in 20 years.
2) 2 X potential 60 point centerman, and an Eller who is one year closer to his breakout (even if he is a 20 20 guy, he's turning to be a very valuable addition)
3) Gionta, Bourque, and Gomez... recovery from injuries, and second chances... I feel that 2/3 is plausible
4) Prust, White, Nokelainen, Geoffrion, Leblanc, Moen... They are hard 3rd/4th liners, who will make the opposition definately NOT like coming to Montreal just that much more.

On the point...
1) Subban.
2) Markov returning, helping the PP
3) Kaberle rounding in to a form... IMO he's my #1 belief of a turnaround season for him.
4) Emelin +1 year of experience
5) Gorges (mr 250+ blocked shots)
6) Bouillon, Weber, & Diaz... all competent d-men...

along with the slew of strong prospects on the point coming up, and a couple of prospects who could still very well surprise.

Last but not least, Price... IMO he's another year older, playing with IMO a better experienced team, and more prospects coming throught the chute offensively (I.E. Who's to say Galchenyuk doesnt do what Bergeron requested, and forces the issue of being a Canadien this year? He DID say it was up to Galchenyuk @ the training camp... we havent had this tiered level prospect at one of our training camps in a very LONG time.)

Not to say Im expecting the world, but if he's currently a 40-50 point guy, I would think that would help better our chances...

Zorro 08-19-2012 10:29 AM

Yesssss :yo:

Jack Bourdain 08-19-2012 10:30 AM

It all comes down to the coach I believe.

DAChampion 08-19-2012 10:30 AM

I predicted anywhere in the range 11th-15th place about a month back.

We only make the playoffs if there's a no-injury miracle like in 2007-08.

Captain Smurf 08-19-2012 10:36 AM

I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm expecting a top-10 pick.

pine 08-19-2012 10:37 AM

Lockout.

Crimson Skorpion 08-19-2012 11:05 AM

They'll finish 8th in the East.

YMCMBeaulieu 08-19-2012 11:16 AM

If Markov plays over 60 games I think we'll finish in 7th or 8th.

Chris Cutter 08-19-2012 11:19 AM

Too many factors to name but they're imo a bubble team and they'll remain one untill they add a steady LWer on Plekanec's wing.

RC51 08-19-2012 11:33 AM

Who the heck knows if the Habs will make the playoffs.
Is Gomez going to play top minutes in over 30 games?
Are the top habs going down again with very long injuries?
Is Martin coming back?
Is PG coming back?
Are the habs going to lose another 40 one goal games?
If your answer is yes to all above then I expect the Habs will not make the playoffs by less then 6 points.

The Habs have made many changes. Most of the changes are in management so that will take a few years to change the Habs from bottom dwellers to a top ten team. Timmons is NOW in charge of the prospects with NO interference from anybody. On the ice for this year the team will have a very different look and feel. Therrien is NOT Martin. I expect the team to forecheck much deeper and with two men because the dmen are very mobile. I am not sure at all if Markov will regain his speed, I fear he will NOT and will become a stay at home dman.
No way Habs play the entire year with only ONE top offensive line. THIS will change for sure. Therrien will not stand for Bourque to float and Kostitsyn is GONEZO leaving his spot to almost anybody that will work hard EVERY night.
After last year, I am sure Therrien will have full authority to sit anybody or even send ANYBODY down to Hamilton as there are NO MORE FREE PASSES for veterans.
Going forward and during the whole year the rookies will get a look see.
The Canadian will put a high priority on the development of those prospects cost what may. These prospects need to know the speed of the NHL, the size of the NHL, the overall toughness needed every night in the NHL. This is the way to the future Canadians and that top ten future team.
The Habs may indeed have a losing year again BUT not like last year, not at all like last year. The Habs won't look or feel like last year.
The core of young players are going to stand up a lot more and DEMAND every body put in the effort every night. Might even be a few closed door eye to eye "disagreements" as the core starts to impose the NEW ORDER OF THINGS. ALL the float will not have a good easy year this time, This is not Martin giving the vets a free pass again.
This years motto will be " si vous ne l'aimez pas, dehors l'ostie en tabarnac"

CP31 08-19-2012 11:37 AM

I think if Markov stays healthy and returns to his form from a couple years ago, we are in the playoffs.

PyrettaBlaze 08-19-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 53696087)
Lockout.

Yep, that's my answer as well.

Dharvey33 08-19-2012 12:20 PM

I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm expecting a stanley cup

Habsfan18 08-19-2012 12:22 PM

My heart says yes, but my head says no.

76ftw 08-19-2012 12:32 PM

Love the positivity either way.

I say yes because you may as well be happy!

habsfanatics 08-19-2012 12:37 PM

I'm not going to vote here, it's too unpredictable. Too many variables for the habs, plenty of youth and inexperience could make it tough, but the talent is there to get in, but a lot would have to go right though.

So many question marks on the roster, not everything is negative. If Markov returns to form, we get in imo, if not, it could be a long year.

Mathradio 08-19-2012 12:39 PM

We are the team with highly variable fortunes at this stage, so I can't see why a 6-8 finish is impossible.

the 08-19-2012 12:42 PM

We are a bottom feeding team and it's going to stay this way. We like keeping plumbers and giving away talented players. All heart doesn't bring you nowhere if the team doesn't have talent.

Shad 08-19-2012 12:52 PM

Habs win Northeast. You heard it here first :nod:

Schwang 08-19-2012 01:11 PM

No doubt, IF healthy. They would have made it last year had they not been decimated.

That being said, even if they have some injuries, they have a hell of a lot more depth in Hamilton to call on than they did last year. I know the new crop is right out of junior, but I think the bulldogs are gonna ROCK!

MXD 08-19-2012 02:38 PM

No. For the lack of... actual hockey.

poetryinmotion 08-19-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Chainz (Post 53696823)
If Markov plays over 60 games I think we'll finish in 7th or 8th.

If Markov plays over 60 games I expect us to be sitting pretty come playoff time, unless he's completely lost it.

Rosso Scuderia 08-19-2012 03:32 PM

Imo, Pens, Caps, Flyers, Bruins and Rangers are basically locks. So 3 spots left. I think the Hurricanes and Lightning also have a very good chances to make it.. So the final spot is almost everybody's game.

We have too many question marks. Our defense is still way too soft. Will Markov stay healthy. Will we have offensive support from our 2nd line? Which mode will Price be in? Will Bourque show that he wants to play for us.

Honestly, I dont think we will make it. Our current line up is already weak and we will probably face some important injuries again so yeah.. Another upcoming long summer.

feds91 08-19-2012 06:52 PM

I think Rangers, Pens, Caps, Bruins, Flyers are definitely better than the Canadiens. Also, I believe Tampa Bay (adding Matt Carle, Sami Salo, Anders Lindback, Benoit Pouliot) and Carolina (adding Jordan Staal, Alexander Semin, Joe Corvo) are much improved over last year. It'll be very difficult for Montreal to make the playoffs. I see them more at the level of the Islanders, Leafs, Jets, Sabres basically trying to remain out of the Eastern Conference basement. :cry: But ya never know, right? :nod:

Hackett 08-19-2012 07:01 PM

I'm thinking they will be a bubble team that just misses the playoffs. The defense is a worrying point for me especially in the 5-6 slots. I was hoping that the habs would add an imposing defensman to help out in the crease area because Price was hung out to dry too frequently around the net last season. I admire the courage that Bouillon plays with, but he is not the answer.

The habs also need another top 6 winger, especially since the bottom 6 looks to have limited scoring potential.