HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need Help! Where should I play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1248871)

lokomotiv15 08-20-2012 12:16 AM

Need Help! Where should I play?
 
Hey guys,

I figured this would be the best place to post this kind of thing. Any responses will be appreciated!

I am currently living in London, Ontario in Canada. I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September and was told that the leagues down there fill up rather quickly so I was hoping to call up and reserve my spot on a team.

Now the thing is, where I'm from, there are usually just A, B and rec/beginner leagues, but when it looks like there is A, B, double B, C, D, E, EE etc... in the US, and I was wondering where I would fit into that. I've looked it up and it appears that A is ex-pro, college players, etc, B is AAA, maybe tier-3 NCAA players, and BB is AAA, AA, and high school players and all that stuff. Problem is I dont know how the AAA, AA or high school hockey there measures up to what we have up here.

So for anyone who has a reference point, I played AA hockey here in Canada, then High-school and Junior D (which is junior C, SOJHL now).

So where would I fit in in your standard league in Pittsburgh/Columbus/etc...?

Thanks a lot guys, any information is greatly appreciated.

JoeCool16 08-20-2012 02:49 PM

Sorry bud, you're on the other side of the continent from me!

I think your best bet would be to post this as "OT" down in the Penguins forum, you'll get more guys who live around that area and know the leagues.

keysersoze98 08-20-2012 03:43 PM

I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and I've played in adult leagues in over half the rinks in the area, so I'm sure I could help you.

Where are you moving? How old are you? What rink(s) are you planning to play at?

The only leagues I know of that you can sign up as an individual are 30+ and 40+ leagues. Some rinks will take your name and give it to teams if they need additional players though.

Let me know the above and I'll see what I can do for ya.

lokomotiv15 08-20-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryer98 (Post 53729255)
I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and I've played in adult leagues in over half the rinks in the area, so I'm sure I could help you.

Where are you moving? How old are you? What rink(s) are you planning to play at?

The only leagues I know of that you can sign up as an individual are 30+ and 40+ leagues. Some rinks will take your name and give it to teams if they need additional players though.

Let me know the above and I'll see what I can do for ya.

Thanks for any help, ill also post my question on the Pens board.

Im looking at apartments just by downtown because its close to my work. Im 22 years old and honestly dont even know which rinks would be best to apply to.

Hopefully you know of something for someone under 30 haha.

TrueBlue86 08-20-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 (Post 53714981)
Hey guys,

I figured this would be the best place to post this kind of thing. Any responses will be appreciated!

I am currently living in London, Ontario in Canada. I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September and was told that the leagues down there fill up rather quickly so I was hoping to call up and reserve my spot on a team.

Now the thing is, where I'm from, there are usually just A, B and rec/beginner leagues

hey, do you have advice where a beginner like myself should play in London starting September?

I've skated since January of this year have the basics down but have not played, outside of some road hokey as a kid. I'm 26 btw. I'll only be in the city fri-mon, those days included.

do you recommend power skating at total package hockey? i'd be open to power skating, beginner league/shinny, what ever..

Beezeral 08-20-2012 07:24 PM

Each league in each city has a different definition of what constitutes an A league. Play a few weeks of open hockey and just ask the regulars what division is the best fit for you

Stickmata 08-20-2012 10:25 PM

Yup. Way too local of a thing. Every league is different. Watching some league games is the best way to figure out where you belong.

lokomotiv15 08-21-2012 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=TrueBlue86;53734145]hey, do you have advice where a beginner like myself should play in London starting September?

I've skated since January of this year have the basics down but have not played, outside of some road hokey as a kid. I'm 26 btw. I'll only be in the city fri-mon, those days included.

do you recommend power skating at total package hockey? i'd be open to power skating, beginner league/shinny, what ever..[/QUOTE
As a newer skater I strongly recommend the rookie league at the Ice park, or what used to be called Brookside arena just off of Adelaide and Thompson street. I helped coach the weekly practices for it last winter. It's mostly guys who have started in the last year, to guys who have been playing for about 3 years. It seems to really help with the development of skills and for the feel of the game for even some people who have started skating as late as their late 50's, there is even an older woman (Around 60) whos been playing for 5-6 years and isn't too bad at all.

You can find more info on it here: http://london-ice-park.ezleagues.ezf...ie-League.aspx
That link will take you to the Ice park site and you can look through leagues, etc... for more information.

Gadzigs 3-on-3 power skating and hockey skills are good, as is total package, but you'll get the best, true feel of the game in the 5-on-5 format of the rookie league at the LIP.

Hope I helped.

lokomotiv15 08-21-2012 12:18 AM

And thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

keysersoze98 08-21-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 (Post 53733803)
Thanks for any help, ill also post my question on the Pens board.

Im looking at apartments just by downtown because its close to my work. Im 22 years old and honestly dont even know which rinks would be best to apply to.

Hopefully you know of something for someone under 30 haha.

Just by downtown, meaning which area? Close to downtown to the east or west makes a big difference.

An address or name of your work would help.

TrueBlue86 08-21-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 (Post 53741601)
As a newer skater I strongly recommend the rookie league at the Ice park, or what used to be called Brookside arena just off of Adelaide and Thompson street. I helped coach the weekly practices for it last winter. It's mostly guys who have started in the last year, to guys who have been playing for about 3 years. It seems to really help with the development of skills and for the feel of the game for even some people who have started skating as late as their late 50's, there is even an older woman (Around 60) whos been playing for 5-6 years and isn't too bad at all.

You can find more info on it here: http://london-ice-park.ezleagues.ezf...ie-League.aspx
That link will take you to the Ice park site and you can look through leagues, etc... for more information.

Gadzigs 3-on-3 power skating and hockey skills are good, as is total package, but you'll get the best, true feel of the game in the 5-on-5 format of the rookie league at the LIP.

Hope I helped.

thanks, that's great

i just called and the guy said they'll be running it on friday nights again this year, which works for me

i think i'll go with that league, with maybe some shinny/skating one other day a week

keysersoze98 09-17-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 (Post 53714981)
I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September

Did you make the move?

wahsnairb 09-17-2012 03:17 PM

Columbus does not even have an A league these days.. B C C2 D and E (and B only plays Mondays right now) so you get great players who play "C"

point being it just depends on the specific league and area you plan to play in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.