HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Daft Skate Question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1249713)

Warfish 08-21-2012 05:19 PM

Daft Skate Question

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to playing hockey, and I've got a daft question, that I almost can't believe I'm asking!

My question - when skates are sharpened for playing hockey, does the blade always end up with a ridge cut down the middle (like an upside down "V")?

I ask because I took my new skates to be sharpened at a local hockey shop here in London, and I got them back in virtually the same state - i.e. the blade is totally flat.

I didn't want to argue with them in the shop (i assumed they knew what they were doing!), but reading posts here about skating using edges, and digging in with edges to stop, etc, i was wondering if I was ripped off, as i essentially have no edges.

Any help for a hockey Noob highly appreciated guys.

JoeCool16 08-21-2012 05:26 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ss_Section.png

It shouldn't be a "V" the whole way down the blade, it should be more of a square shape. This allows you to shift your body weight from side to side, onto each edge.

The above picture should give a good look at what a skate looks like ultra-close, although the inward "U" isn't really that pronounced. It is actually more square, kind of like how you mentioned.

If your skate has been sharpened correctly, the two edges on either side should be quite sharp when you run your finger down it.

Warfish 08-21-2012 05:31 PM

Yes, that's perfect, thank you very much.

The bottom of my blade is completely flat, no groove cut into it at all - which I assume, from your picture, means I've been ripped off. :(

JoeCool16 08-21-2012 05:32 PM

How does it feel though? Sharp? The groove is very minimal (although my skates are at home and I can't check right now) so it shouldn't be that noticable, and really shouldn't be a V! more of a light concave if anything.

Warfish 08-21-2012 05:44 PM

They felt ok, but I'm pretty bad at skating at the moment, so hard to tell!

I'm playing (for the the first time ever) in a couple of weeks, so I'll ask one of the guys there to have a look.

The sides of the blade do feel pretty sharp - I assumed that the concave portion would be quite pronounced, and you could see the groove that was cut into it - but maybe you can't, if it's really shallow like you said.

AIREAYE 08-21-2012 09:29 PM

The hollow isn't pronounced at all.

SCBruCrew4 08-21-2012 10:32 PM

Take your finger and LIGHTLY run it down the blade...preferably while holding your skate, not while it's laced on your foot (prevent injury hopefully) And you should feel that the edges are sharp. If they feel sharp then your good. If it feels like you could run your finger down it and not get cut then it most likely is dull. My guess is your worrying about the smallest "U" that gets put into the blade when sharpened, in which case you shouldn't worry about it.

MattB43 08-21-2012 10:33 PM

Here's a close-up of a straight-edge across my blade with a fresh (9/16") sharpening on it. You can just barely see the concave across the blade. If your shop uses a standard grind of 5/8 or 3/4" then it'd be even less noticable.
http://imgur.com/kHYmh.jpg

ArrogantOwl 08-22-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 (Post 53765213)
Take your finger and LIGHTLY run it down the blade...preferably while holding your skate, not while it's laced on your foot (prevent injury hopefully) And you should feel that the edges are sharp. If they feel sharp then your good. If it feels like you could run your finger down it and not get cut then it most likely is dull. My guess is your worrying about the smallest "U" that gets put into the blade when sharpened, in which case you shouldn't worry about it.

Your more likely to cut yourself on a dull blade than a sharp blade when running your finger along it.

kr580 08-22-2012 01:44 AM

Hold the skate in your hand upside down so the blade is facing up and laces are facing down. Now take the back of your thumb and scrape your thumb nail slowly and gently downward on the edge of the blade. Don't slide it toe to heel, vertically down.

If the blade has an edge it'll shave a little bit of your finger nail off. If there's no edge it won't do much of anything to your finger nail.

Noir 08-26-2012 07:04 PM

Here's how to test if your blades are sharp enough:

1) Hold your skate blade side up.

2) Hold a piece of rectangular satin cloth directly on top of it and drop it on top of your skate blade

If the satin cloth slices cleanly as it floats down to your blade, then your blades are adequately sharp ;)

AIREAYE 08-26-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 53877621)

2) Hold a piece of rectangular satin cloth directly on top of it and drop it on top of your skate blade

If the satin cloth slices cleanly as it floats down to your blade, then your blades are adequately sharp ;)

LOL what...

MattB43 08-27-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 53877621)

This sounds like a pretty good test. Can I buy the satin cloth at my LHS or is there a specialty store somewhere?

howeaboutthat 08-27-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattB43 (Post 53890157)
This sounds like a pretty good test. Can I buy the satin cloth at my LHS or is there a specialty store somewhere?

Most decent LHS sell blade sharpness test satin. Don't buy it from online retailers as they generally just sell normal satin which is no good at all and may damage your blades.

;)

AIREAYE 08-27-2012 11:55 AM

First time I've heard of this! Is satin really that soft?

jsykes 08-27-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howeaboutthat (Post 53890947)
Most decent LHS sell blade sharpness test satin. Don't buy it from online retailers as they generally just sell normal satin which is no good at all and may damage your blades.

What the hell are you talking about? Dont listen to this.

Hold you skate upside down and look down the blade at a white wall or a light or something like that. You should be able to see the concave shape of the blade.

You can also place something flat along the top of blade and if you look down the blade lengthwise, you should see light underneath the flat edge in the middle of the steel.

Otherwise, just as you're doing here, go into the shop and tell them you're new and ask them to show you what a sharp blade looks like and help you out. I'm sure they'd be happy to help and explain to you how they're sharpened and what to look for.

Cowbell232 08-27-2012 03:06 PM

Just hold your skate up side down, and rest a coin on top of the blade. If you can see a gap between the coin and U of the hollow, you have edges... Very easily noticeable, with almost any hollow.

I use a quarter in America, but I think a 10p coin would best for your to use since it's the biggest/thinnest/roundest. It'll be easy to see the hollow if it's there.

bigduga 08-27-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 53896761)
Just hold your skate up side down, and rest a coin on top of the blade. If you can see a gap between the coin and U of the hollow, you have edges... Very easily noticeable, with almost any hollow.

I use a quarter in America, but I think a 10p coin would best for your to use since it's the biggest/thinnest/roundest. It'll be easy to see the hollow if it's there.

Not to disagree with a "global mod", but I'm not sure I understand this method, the radius of a US quarter is .477". It would sit in the bottom of a common half-inch traditional grind, would it not?

Edit: nevermind. figured it out. I'm an idiot.

You're talking about laying the coin face down on the blade. I was taught to check the depth of a fresh cut with the O.D. Of spare change by an old dude at the rink after a sharpening gone-bad by using coins as guages. Penny is 3/8", quarter is 1/2". If you can see daylight under the radius of a penny, you're cut way too deep.

Cowbell232 08-27-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigduga (Post 53901477)
Not to disagree with a "global mod", but I'm not sure I understand this method, the radius of a US quarter is .477". It would sit in the bottom of a common half-inch traditional grind, would it not?

Edit: nevermind. figured it out. I'm an idiot.

You're talking about laying the coin face down on the blade. I was taught to check the depth of a fresh cut with the O.D. Of spare change by an old dude at the rink after a sharpening gone-bad by using coins as guages. Penny is 3/8", quarter is 1/2". If you can see daylight under the radius of a penny, you're cut way too deep.

:laugh: Yeah, I'm not saying to check the actual radius of the hollow, just to see if there is a hollow.

I use this method to ballpark whether or not my edges are still even after I get a cut. ;)

And we mods are often wrong, don't feel about disagree with any of us when we are.