HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Jason Arnott news? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1249781)

ForsbergForever 08-21-2012 08:49 PM

Jason Arnott news?

Is he leaning towards retirement or still looking for a contract? I doubt he's asking for much in terms of length or money. He'll be 38 by the time the season starts, maybe he'll generate some interest closer to training camp? What's the word on the street? I haven't heard much at all about him this off-season.

Vankiller Whale 08-21-2012 08:57 PM

Apparently the Canucks were interested in him. Not sure how that's developing, though.

Tyler Biggs 08-21-2012 09:13 PM

Earlier in the summer I thought the Sabres might show interest because I heard they may be looking for a 2nd or 3rd tier center but the latest I have heard Arnott wise is the Vancouver Canucks might have some interest in him. The St. Louis Blues don't seem to want Arnott back, presumably because they want to get younger. However, with Ryan Kesler expected to be sidelined until December, the Vancouver Canucks could use another capable center.

punk_o_holic 08-21-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 53762071)
Apparently the Canucks were interested in him. Not sure how that's developing, though.

To add to this, his agent also said Arnott had interest in the Canucks as well. But it was reported that this was based on what happens to Doan. If Doan goes to Van, Arnott isn't needed. If they don't get him, they would sign him. Not sure how long Arnott is willing to wait for a contract though.

Dolph Ziggler 08-21-2012 09:59 PM

Arnott could probably still fill the role of a third line center, but asking him to be a second line center while Kesler is recovering might be asking a little too much IMO.

DrVanntastic 08-21-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 (Post 53762377)
The St. Louis Blues don't seem to want Arnott back, presumably because they want to get younger.

Arnott clashed with Hitchcock. Something happened where they had an argument because Arnott didn't think he should have to practice.

glasses91 08-21-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noteman (Post 53763429)
Arnott clashed with Hitchcock. Something happened where they had an argument because Arnott didn't think he should have to practice.

we're talkin' bout practice?

punk_o_holic 08-21-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noteman (Post 53763429)

Wasn't there another incident as well? For whatever reason, I thought I read that when Arnott and the Blues(maybe Hitchcock) had a disagreement over a injury. Think Hitchcock felt that he was still injured so they should take it easy on him with use of ice time. Arnott felt he was fine and wanted more ice time.

DeltaSwede 08-22-2012 04:24 AM

I would not mind having Arnott sign with Vancouver but like previously said it all depends on what happens with Doan. If Doan is signed Arnott will likely not be signed.

He could be a cheap option and he will be worth more than what he is getting paid by the Canucks. 1-1.5 mil for a year to bring in leadership, experience, defensive abilities, a strong face off presence and not to ignore the 34 points he got last year playing for St. Louis.

If we somehow manage to sign both, there will be moves and that makes some other pieces expendable like Raymond, Malhotra, and Higgins (to some extent).

digdug41982 08-22-2012 10:27 AM

Why not back to Edmonton? Seems like a good fit and good way to go out.

Tact 08-22-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaSwede (Post 53768893)
I would not mind having Arnott sign with Vancouver but like previously said it all depends on what happens with Doan. If Doan is signed Arnott will likely not be signed.

He could be a cheap option and he will be worth more than what he is getting paid by the Canucks. 1-1.5 mil for a year to bring in leadership, experience, defensive abilities, a strong face off presence and not to ignore the 34 points he got last year playing for St. Louis.

If we somehow manage to sign both, there will be moves and that makes some other pieces expendable like Raymond, Malhotra, and Higgins (to some extent).

Malholtra has a NTC and signing Arnott does not make Higgins expendable whatsoever. Doing that downgrades your team instead of improving.

Tripod 08-22-2012 10:54 AM

why rush out and sign a soon to be 38 year old when a lock-out could happen. Imagine if you sign him for 1 year, then the season is cancelled. could be a very bad signing. Would not ne surprised if he has a "agreement in faith" with a team that wants to make sure there will actually be a season.

GaryU 08-22-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripod (Post 53771837)
why rush out and sign a soon to be 38 year old when a lock-out could happen. Imagine if you sign him for 1 year, then the season is cancelled. could be a very bad signing. Would not ne surprised if he has a "agreement in faith" with a team that wants to make sure there will actually be a season.

Sounds about right...Hawks could use him for a year..

InfinityIggy 08-22-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

This is a strong point.

Considering that Arnott will likely have a very low cap hit, 1 year deal Vancouver could sign both him and Doan, use Doan on the 2nd until Kesler is back, then move him to wing.

joestevens29 08-22-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

I'd be more concerned that you give him a contract and then hockey resumes in February and you find out that this 38 year old vet didn't train or do anything for the past 8 months.

IComeInPeace 08-22-2012 12:01 PM

I believe the injury and practice incidents are one and the same. Something like if you are too injured to practice, then you are too injured to play. Hitch wanted him to practice and Arnott said he was injured enough that he should sit out of practice. Hitch complied, but sat him the next game as well.

I'm sure this is not the exact story, but it is something along these lines. One of our Blues posters can correct me if I'm way off here.

digdug41982 08-22-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 53772899)
I'd be more concerned that you give him a contract and then hockey resumes in February and you find out that this 38 year old vet didn't train or do anything for the past 8 months.

I.E., the Byfuglien training program.

ForsbergForever 08-22-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 53782251)
I.E., the Byfuglien training program.

Hey, he's training for his lockout job of becoming an NFL lineman...

barrytrotzsneck 08-22-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_o_holic (Post 53765307)
Wasn't there another incident as well? For whatever reason, I thought I read that when Arnott and the Blues(maybe Hitchcock) had a disagreement over a injury. Think Hitchcock felt that he was still injured so they should take it easy on him with use of ice time. Arnott felt he was fine and wanted more ice time.

He was run out of Nashville for the same reason.

Gee, sounds like the kind of guy I want on my team!

It's hilarious how many people cite his "veteran leadership," when, in the words of Sloan, "he's certainly the former, but he's not so much the latter."

2 Minute Minor 08-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc (Post 53783635)
He was run out of Nashville for the same reason.

Gee, sounds like the kind of guy I want on my team!

It's hilarious how many people cite his "veteran leadership," when, in the words of Sloan, "he's certainly the former, but he's not so much the latter."

Its impossible to know the true details of what happened with Hitchcock, but I think the bigger factor is that he's just deteriorated to the point that he's too slow to be effective on a regular line. He still has good enough hands to work out on a PP or spot duty, but he just couldn't fit on a line for the Blues without forcing them to change their style of play to accommodate his physical limitations.

I think he's done as an NHL player that matters. Whether he retires or latches on with a team as a 4th line guy, I'm not sure. But it sure doesn't warrant any wasted effort on speculation.

Say he signs with Vancouver. So what?

JawandaPuck 02-06-2013 12:06 PM

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/st...90012874985472

47m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Agent Wade Arnott says brother Jason "cleared to play" after knee scope, and has "a few things ongoing with NHL clubs."
Details

36m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
With just 2 assists in 10 games, Columbus farms C Ryan Johansen out to Springfield.
Details

27m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
For those asking, Arnott did fail medical with NYR, and is still a UFA. Don't expect EDM to sign - Belanger (foot) will be back soon.
Details

DeRossi16 02-06-2013 12:19 PM

If Ottawa is struggling for goals again soon I could see them signing him for cheap.