HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Your 2012 - 2013 Expectations for Jake Gardiner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250061)

ForSpareParts* 08-22-2012 02:49 PM

Your 2012 - 2013 Expectations for Jake Gardiner
 
Well here's hoping he picks up where he left off. I like his skating and his vision quite a bit. My only knock on him Is his defensive game and physical strength. If he could improve on that I could see him getting more ice time, etc.

What do you think?

leugangen 08-22-2012 02:51 PM

I expect a bit of a regression. For him to develop, he will have to face tougher competition. He was very sheltered last year, which helped with his offensive numbers. I just hope he grows overall as a player. If he doesn't put up as many points, that's fine, as long as he is improving overall.

Hurt 08-22-2012 02:51 PM

35-40ish points while rounding out his game is my expectation.

jmart21 08-22-2012 02:58 PM

His year to shape up or ship out; for sure. Can a mod please change the thread title?

Sypher04 08-22-2012 03:01 PM

Offensively, I expect he'll probably be in the same or regress slightly. As long as he improves his defensive play, it'll be a good development year IMO. If he does both, bonus.

I Believe 08-22-2012 03:03 PM

My prediction is 38 points with improved defensive play. I am extremely happy with that.

Happy Fan 08-22-2012 03:08 PM

Winner on our hands.

BarryMikokinner 08-22-2012 03:09 PM

My prediction?

He is going to go through a bit of a sophomore slump and this entire board will be calling for him to be traded in a package for a 1C come November.

Mr_Fun 08-22-2012 03:16 PM

The next Erik Karlsson and Norris trophy to boot. With the right luck, 80+ points!!

oops...

The next Erik Karlsson and a Norris trophy to boot. With the right luck, 80+ points!!


/can't edit my own post, sorry :(

Since I can't vote in the poll, you could put one more in "none of the above", if that helps make things a little more official.

Logic 08-22-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 53778601)
35-40ish points while rounding out his game is my expectation.

this

Kbs 08-22-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 53778601)
35-40ish points while rounding out his game is my expectation.

Yup, exactly what I'm expecting unless he has a sophomore slump.

Leafidelity 08-22-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 53778601)
35-40ish points while rounding out his game is my expectation.

Id agree with this. Naturally the poll option is a bit extreme.

Swervin81 08-22-2012 04:06 PM

Is this Jake Gardiner's "shape up or ship out" year? :sarcasm:

Realistically, I see his offense regressing a tad, but some improvement in his own end.

Whydidijoin* 08-22-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leugangen (Post 53778585)
He was very sheltered last year, which helped with his offensive numbers.

What the heck are you talking about?

He averaged 21:35/game (topping out at about 27 minutes), played primarily on the 2nd-pairing, and played in all situations (ES, PP, PK). As the season went on, he was relied on more and more against the opposing team's top players, and in important situations. And excelled.

He was far from sheltered. He is also not bad defensively. That is a myth perpetuated by the faulty belief that you can't be a smooth-skating, point-producing, non-physical defenseman, and still do well defensively.

Despite one of if not the greatest defenseman of our era doing exactly that.

zeke 08-22-2012 04:24 PM

If everything goes right, he's a 40-50pt, 23:00mpg, legit top-pair dman.

but a sophomore slump is always a possibility.

rdawg1234 08-22-2012 04:28 PM

40-50 pts develops even more.

Can't see him having a slump simply because he's probably one of the best skaters on the team.

Sypher04 08-22-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whydidijoin (Post 53781325)
What the heck are you talking about?

He averaged 21:35/game (topping out at about 27 minutes), played primarily on the 2nd-pairing, and played in all situations (ES, PP, PK). As the season went on, he was relied on more and more against the opposing team's top players, and in important situations. And excelled.

He was far from sheltered. He is also not bad defensively. That is a myth perpetuated by the faulty belief that you can't be a smooth-skating, point-producing, non-physical defenseman, and still do well defensively.

Despite one of if not the greatest defenseman of our era doing exactly that.

His defense had plenty of room to improve. It's an experience thing mostly though. He has all the tools and he thinks the game well

zeke 08-22-2012 04:45 PM

J.Gardiner

OCT: 9gms, 0gls, 3pts, 2pim, 18:06
NOV: 14gms, 0gls, 4pts, 12pim, 21:25
DEC: 12gms, 0gls, 2pts, 2pim, 21:22
1st Half: 35gms, 0gls, 9pts, 16pim, 20:33 (82gms, 0gls, 21pts, 38pim)

JAN: 8gms, 1gls, 6pts, 0pim, 23:06
FEB: 14gms, 3gls, 4pts, 2pim, 22:38
MAR: 15gms, 1gls, 8pts, 0pim, 21:42
APR: 3gms, 2gls, 3pts, 24:13
2nd Half: 40gms, 7gls, 21pts, 2pim, 22:30 (82gms, 14gls, 43pts, 4pim)

Hopefully that development keeps going in a straight line.

Whydidijoin* 08-22-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sypher04 (Post 53781903)
His defense had plenty of room to improve. It's an experience thing mostly though. He has all the tools and he thinks the game well

Of course it has room to improve. He was a rookie.

He was still better than most individuals his age defensively, and one of the better ones on our team in that regard. It is not his strongest point, but it is not a weak point.

Rinzler 08-22-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 53782227)
J.Gardiner

OCT: 9gms, 0gls, 3pts, 2pim, 18:06
NOV: 14gms, 0gls, 4pts, 12pim, 21:25
DEC: 12gms, 0gls, 2pts, 2pim, 21:22
1st Half: 35gms, 0gls, 9pts, 16pim, 20:33 (82gms, 0gls, 21pts, 38pim)

JAN: 8gms, 1gls, 6pts, 0pim, 23:06
FEB: 14gms, 3gls, 4pts, 2pim, 22:38
MAR: 15gms, 1gls, 8pts, 0pim, 21:42
APR: 3gms, 2gls, 3pts, 24:13
2nd Half: 40gms, 7gls, 21pts, 2pim, 22:30 (82gms, 14gls, 43pts, 4pim)

Hopefully that development keeps going in a straight line.

Such a difference between the first and 2nd half, quite amazing actually. Look at the PIMs too...that's bizarre.

13TML13 08-22-2012 05:32 PM

Hopefully there are actually NHL games for him to play in this year. I would be very happy, assuming there is at least some sort of a season, if he puts up .5 ppg

Sundinisagod 08-22-2012 07:00 PM

If there is a season, I think he'll eek out exactly 40 points and improved defensive play. He really came on in the second half and I see no reason for him to regress. The kid is a natural. I hate when people say he doesn't have #1 D potential, i'd like to know what he's lacking for that not to happen??? It's just the automatic downgrade of potential based on being a Leaf.

LeafsAllDay 08-22-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 53782227)
J.Gardiner

OCT: 9gms, 0gls, 3pts, 2pim, 18:06
NOV: 14gms, 0gls, 4pts, 12pim, 21:25
DEC: 12gms, 0gls, 2pts, 2pim, 21:22
1st Half: 35gms, 0gls, 9pts, 16pim, 20:33 (82gms, 0gls, 21pts, 38pim)

JAN: 8gms, 1gls, 6pts, 0pim, 23:06
FEB: 14gms, 3gls, 4pts, 2pim, 22:38
MAR: 15gms, 1gls, 8pts, 0pim, 21:42
APR: 3gms, 2gls, 3pts, 24:13
2nd Half: 40gms, 7gls, 21pts, 2pim, 22:30 (82gms, 14gls, 43pts, 4pim)

Hopefully that development keeps going in a straight line.

increase in TOI, G, A & drop in PIM in the second half. impressive

I don't expect much improvement from him just yet. Next year, I could see 35pts over 82gp. I see him facing tougher competition and having more pressure to produce, both of which I predict will hinder his ability to perform and improve statistically. In his 3rd or 4th year, with more confidence, experience and a bigger role I expect there to be significant improvement.

DaveT83* 08-22-2012 07:19 PM

Personally I expect him to fall into the trap all young players in Toronto do.
They start believing their own hype. They stop training. Loose conditioning. And before they know it they are traded to Philly for a 3rd liner.

No he'll do about the same. Maybe a slight tail off adjusting to a new defensive system that will be more focused on positioning - and not jumping into every rush at every possible moment.

SteveV* 08-22-2012 07:28 PM

40 points, as well as the time Lucic nailed Kessel and Gards jumped in, clocked Milan in the jaw and knocked him out, requiring facial reconstruction surgery.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.