HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Team Staff Salary Cuts & Layoffs (MOD: and local city impacts from lockout) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250397)

LadyStanley 08-23-2012 09:55 AM

Team Staff Salary Cuts & Layoffs (MOD: and local city impacts from lockout)
 
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/08/23...-lockout-looms

Quote:

Full-time Flames staffers and contract workers have recently been put on notice they may be in line for salary cuts -- some coming as early as early as Sept. 16.

Close to 175 full-time employees of the Flames, which includes those running the Calgary Hitmen and Roughnecks, will learn more about their financial fate in the next handful of days as the club unveils a plan that will see pay-cuts of various degrees levied.

"We have a contingency plan in place -- it would be stupid of us not to," confirmed Flames president and CEO Ken King, adding quickly that such a contingency plan doesn't presuppose there will be a lockout.

"What we would attempt to do is affect as few people as possible and as minimally as possible. The plan is quite generous in that some people it won't affect at all."

King confirmed no one employed by the Stampeders football club, which the Flames also own, will be subjected to CBA-related pay cuts.

As an alternative, employees have been given the option of taking a sabbatical or prolonged leave of absence -- without pay -- with guarantees their job will be waiting for them upon their return.

Walkingthroughforest 08-23-2012 10:06 AM

You'd hope that the rest of the organizations follow suit. It would be a nightmare to be laid off from your job because of this situation.

Here's the part of this CBA negotiation that is largely ignored: it hurts real people. The average person with a salary or full time position with the team will feel this, this doesn't just affect millionaires.

Realm 08-23-2012 10:15 AM

How nice. You can leave your job and not get paid....but when we NEED you you can come back and take a pay cut possibly.:help:

InfinityIggy 08-23-2012 10:16 AM

At first I thought this was unrelated to the CBA and I was like "Oh dear.."

Good to see the Flames taking the necessary steps to try and keep as many people employed as possible if we don't have hockey this season.

Its interesting to look at the ripple effect these negotiations are having on the people with the most to lose, their livelihood.

Shrimper 08-23-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis
The dominoes start to fall as #Flames staffers told they'll face pay cuts if a new CBA isn't negotiated by Sept 15:

Dominoes.

BLASPHEMOUS 08-23-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 53800275)
Dominoes.

It's all about the dominoes.

Pavelec4MVP 08-23-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 53800275)
Dominoes.

Sad
People that have nothing to do with this getting screwed

SilverHaireDevil 08-23-2012 12:45 PM

Try not to feel too bad for the Flames staffers.
If you find yourself unemployed in Alberta for any significant period of time its because you don't want a job not because there are none to be had.

Ashasx 08-23-2012 12:46 PM

The Flames staffers will be handled better than the majority of other teams. Don't know why Friedman singled the team out on twitter.

Pavelec4MVP 08-23-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashasx (Post 53801967)
The Flames staffers will be handled better than the majority of other teams. Don't know why Friedman singled the team out on twitter.

Because he writes about them in a paper there I believe

JohnWayne 08-23-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashasx (Post 53801967)
The Flames staffers will be handled better than the majority of other teams. Don't know why Friedman singled the team out on twitter.

and you know this how? Flames were one of teams that were described as being heartless last time around. About 8 teams were named and shamed in how they treated their staffers during and after the last lock out

InfinityIggy 08-23-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWayne (Post 53814871)
and you know this how? Flames were one of teams that were described as being heartless last time around. About 8 teams were named and shamed in how they treated their staffers during and after the last lock out

Never heard of this, source please.

The Bob Cole 08-23-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil (Post 53801925)
Try not to feel too bad for the Flames staffers.
If you find yourself unemployed in Alberta for any significant period of time its because you don't want a job not because there are none to be had.

Yes, because for someone having their dream job, it's ok to uproot and start a new career because millionaire/billionaire owners and players squabble over negotiations.

Hockey Team 08-23-2012 11:35 PM

I got what was essentially a salary cut once. I more or less just dragged my feet and cut work as much as I could for the next year or so until I got fired.

If you need to cut the payroll by 20% (just throwing out a #), I think it's better to fire 20% of your workforce versus keeping everyone and cutting everyone's pay by 20%. The former option leaves you with 80% of a motivated workforce, the latter leaves you with your whole workforce but they all resent you now.

LadyStanley 08-23-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 53818001)
I got what was essentially a salary cut once. I more or less just dragged my feet and cut work as much as I could for the next year or so until I got fired.

If you need to cut the payroll by 20% (just throwing out a #), I think it's better to fire 20% of your workforce versus keeping everyone and cutting everyone's pay by 20%. The former option leaves you with 80% of a motivated workforce, the latter leaves you with your whole workforce but they all resent you now.

As an observer of human nature, I disagree. A lot of how things progress with a cutback (either % of salary or # of jobs) is based on the leadership of the company/organization.

Just finished a book which included a story where the leadership of a company was able to so well communicate their passion (and pain in having to make the changes) that folks were even more enthusiastic about the future of the company (and that folks were able to keep a job, albeit with a reduction in salaries).

Hockey Team 08-24-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 53818083)
As an observer of human nature, I disagree. A lot of how things progress with a cutback (either % of salary or # of jobs) is based on the leadership of the company/organization.

Just finished a book which included a story where the leadership of a company was able to so well communicate their passion (and pain in having to make the changes) that folks were even more enthusiastic about the future of the company (and that folks were able to keep a job, albeit with a reduction in salaries).

Well, the way my company handled it was absolutely terrible. So I have no idea how it'd be like if it was handled well.

jimmycrackcorn 08-24-2012 08:05 AM

There will be more stories like this in the coming weeks. People who work in and around the industry who make "regular" wages are really going to feel the pain.

This is why I HATE THE GREED being exhibited by the players and owners. Especially the players who appear to have a very inflated sense of entitlement.

Pilky01 08-24-2012 08:55 AM

Good!

Cut all their salaries. The owners deserve to make more profit since they are the one's taking all the risk.

:sarcasm:

broinwhyteridge 08-24-2012 09:45 AM

Do none of these people have employment contracts that stipulate what they get paid?

coldsteelonice84 08-24-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realm (Post 53797957)
How nice. You can leave your job and not get paid....but when we NEED you you can come back and take a pay cut possibly.:help:

This is very common in volatile industries. It gives people that are more well off, usually older employees, the option to take the time off so the people that have no choice but to stay have minimal pay cuts. It's great that they are offering that. People will take them up on it for sure.

LadyStanley 08-24-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge (Post 53823379)
Do none of these people have employment contracts that stipulate what they get paid?

Executives (GM, etc.), coaching staff and maybe the equipment and training staff probably do. And probably the broadcasters. (They might get full salary, partial salary or no salary depending on how things are written.)

But the people hired to do janitorial, answer the phones -- probably not.

rojac 08-24-2012 10:26 AM

If you take a job in a field where work stoppages might happen and could affect your job, do you really deserve sympathy? To be honest, all NHL team employees should have been preparing for this to happen.

Hockey Team 08-24-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 53824341)
If you take a job in a field where work stoppages might happen and could affect your job, do you really deserve sympathy? To be honest, all NHL team employees should have been preparing for this to happen.

A lot of people are too stupid to manage their own finances so they don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Even people who are fairly well off have this problem, not just the poor.

So yes, NHL team employees SHOULD have been preparing for this to happen, but the reality is most probably haven't.

ScottyBowman 08-24-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 53839035)
A lot of people are too stupid to manage their own finances so they don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Even people who are fairly well off have this problem, not just the poor.

So yes, NHL team employees SHOULD have been preparing for this to happen, but the reality is most probably haven't.

Its hard to prepare for something when you're barely scrapping by. Its not like these guys are making 500k a year. Probably people like ticket agents, marketing etc.... where they make an ok salary but nothing to handle if they were out 6 months.

The Bob Cole 08-25-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 53839035)
A lot of people are too stupid to manage their own finances so they don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. Even people who are fairly well off have this problem, not just the poor.

So yes, NHL team employees SHOULD have been preparing for this to happen, but the reality is most probably haven't.

Most of the employees probably make $35-60K per year if they aren't an executive. The industry is generally a hack for paying unless you're at the very top. Most are not "well off".

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 53824341)
If you take a job in a field where work stoppages might happen and could affect your job, do you really deserve sympathy? To be honest, all NHL team employees should have been preparing for this to happen.

You realize almost any industry can have a work stoppage, right? As long as there is an organized union, there is the possibility.

These people working for the organization are held hostage to the owners and players right now. They have absolutely no say, yet their careers are at stake. They're being squeezed in the middle. They also had to proceed as normal and prepare for the entire season, in the event that there was/is a small chance the season happens. So while they may lose ~4 months of work, they still had to do all the necessary work (if not more with contingency plans) to prepare for a regular or sudden launch.

As a fan, you may lose a season of entertainment, but as an employee, they may lose their career.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.