HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Speculation: Kulikov's worth? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250651)

ShawnTHW 08-23-2012 07:36 PM

Kulikov's worth?

What kind of deal do you think he will sign? Also, why hasn't he signed it yet? I realize there isn't a rush to get one signed until the new CBA comes out, but you'd figure the Panthers would want to get their top young defenseman to a relatively good contract, no?

harv3317 08-23-2012 09:22 PM

i'd say 3.5mill for 4 years would be a fair signing.

Papa044 08-23-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harv3317 (Post 53815317)

he can easily get more

PierreMcGuire* 08-24-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harv3317 (Post 53815317)

That's an absolute steal of a contract to get Kulikov on.

JP Mick 08-24-2012 04:13 AM

I'm thinking around 4 or 4.25 for 5 years.

Laus723 08-24-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP Mick (Post 53820441)
I'm thinking around 4 or 4.25 for 5 years.

Me too, was coming to say this.

Boothinator 08-24-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 53819083)
That's an absolute steal of a contract to get Kulikov on.

Agreed. If we can lock him up even longer for such a cap hit that would be great! Because Kulikov will get the same money like Campbell soon..And dont forget the other young guns. They will likely face the same scenario

Dr Beinfest 08-24-2012 10:19 AM

I'd be iffy to go above $4.00m, to be honest.

Certainly would avoid anything above 4 years, as well.

So with that said, if I were GM, I'd shoot for 4yr/$16m deal.

MickOlax 08-24-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest (Post 53824173)
I'd be iffy to go above $4.00m, to be honest.

Certainly would avoid anything above 4 years, as well.

So with that said, if I were GM, I'd shoot for 4yr/$16m deal.

I don't really know if paying around 4.25-4.5 a year (on a long contract) for a 21-year-old defenseman, who's already scoring at a ~40 point pace and is probably only going to improve. Not only he will get better, but our offense will get better as Huby and co. matures.

I bet he's going to be a career top 2 defenseman scoring regularly something around 40-55 points a year if healthy.

I'd have no problem with a 4.25 million a year deal if it's something like 4-7 years.

-L-

ShootIt 08-24-2012 04:50 PM

4 years would bring him to ufa status if the CBA stats status quo on ufa eligibility.

I would like to see a 5-6 year deal and eat up some ufa years.

Dr Beinfest 08-25-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickOlax (Post 53832803)
I don't really know if paying around 4.25-4.5 a year (on a long contract) for a 21-year-old defenseman, who's already scoring at a ~40 point pace and is probably only going to improve. Not only he will get better, but our offense will get better as Huby and co. matures.

I bet he's going to be a career top 2 defenseman scoring regularly something around 40-55 points a year if healthy.

I'd have no problem with a 4.25 million a year deal if it's something like 4-7 years.

-L-

I think I've seen enough premature contracts on this team to go any bigger than the contract I just drew up there. yeah, he's 21. There's always room for an extension down the line. Kulikov is young and by no means an ironman. Who's to say he'll play every game of every season? Furthermore, who's to say he'll keep that production up? I was expecting a stellar season from him last season, and instead we got quite the quiet Kulikov. If in four years time Kulikov is able to prove that he's an all-star defenseman worth $6-$7 million per year, then give him that and build around him. But for now... we don't need any more of those lengthy, high valued contracts on players who've yet to show that they actually deserve every penny listed.

MickOlax 08-25-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest (Post 53845853)
I think I've seen enough premature contracts on this team to go any bigger than the contract I just drew up there. yeah, he's 21. There's always room for an extension down the line. Kulikov is young and by no means an ironman. Who's to say he'll play every game of every season? Furthermore, who's to say he'll keep that production up? I was expecting a stellar season from him last season, and instead we got quite the quiet Kulikov. If in four years time Kulikov is able to prove that he's an all-star defenseman worth $6-$7 million per year, then give him that and build around him. But for now... we don't need any more of those lengthy, high valued contracts on players who've yet to show that they actually deserve every penny listed.

I kind of agree with you on premature contracts. But you can't even compare Olesz with him in terms of what they have proven at the time the contract would be made. Olesz hadn't really proven anything at the time and was only signed that long because they hoped he would stay healthy and reach his potential. Kulikov imo has already proved that he's a top 4 defenseman at least in the NHL. A player who can play the point on our 2nd PP and also play ok defensively.

I think the bolded part actually kind of proves my point on that. I agree that we saw a pretty quiet Kulikov last season. He also had an injury yet still managed to put up 28 points in 58 games. He only had 5 pts less that Garrison in 24 less games. He did all this with mostly only 2nd PP time. (our 2nd PP sucked and not because of Kulikov).

We may see Kulikov differently right now which probably means we'll never agree on this one. But in my eyes he has already proven enough in the NHL to get that kind of a contract. If he would not progress at all and stay excactly on the level he is now, 4.25 million a year would only be a slight overpayment. If he progresses even a little it would be a pretty solid contract and if he would reach the potential most of us think he has, it would be a very good contract. The only real risk would be if he couldn't stay healthy at all like Olesz but I really don't think Kulikov is a injury-prone player.

Remember that all this has a IMO stamp on it. :laugh:

-L-

vorky 09-18-2012 04:52 PM

If he signs in KHL this season, he will play here whole season, not only lockout period.

Laus723 09-18-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorky (Post 54430729)
If he signs in KHL this season, he will play here whole season, not only lockout period.

Doubt it.

vorky 09-18-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 54430783)
Doubt it.

?? If he has NO NHL contract, he must stay in KHL whole season. The same Andrei Kostitsyn. Only guys with NHL contract (Kovalchuk, Malkin etc) have out clausule in KHL deal.

Laus723 09-18-2012 11:57 PM

Kost is an UFA, Kuli a RFA, pretty sure he has to be back. Otherwise teams would have locked everyone else up. NHL GMs aren't stupid.

vorky 09-19-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 54439777)
Kost is an UFA, Kuli a RFA, pretty sure he has to be back. Otherwise teams would have locked everyone else up. NHL GMs aren't stupid.

does not matter UFA or RFA, has NO valid contract, that is important.

Theokritos 09-19-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorky (Post 54440947)
does not matter UFA or RFA, has NO valid contract, that is important.

Correct. The "restricted" in NHL restricted free agents only applies within the NHL.

But are you telling me there are no NHL out clauses in regular (non-lockout) KHL contracts at all?

vorky 09-19-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theokritos (Post 54441009)
Correct. The "restricted" in NHL restricted free agents only applies within the NHL.

But are you telling me there are no NHL out clauses in regular (non-lockout) KHL contracts at all?

yes, no NHL out clauses. A player can terminate contract (and pay to club), KHL club can terminate contract (and pay to player) or both can mutually agree on termination (Kucherov case). But there is no situation like "I sign contract in KHL with out clauses saying if NHL club is interested I am free to sign in NHL" It works like this in euro leagues as I know, many players in Sweden/Finland/Czech rep have out clauses in favour of KHL (maybe NHL as well).

Laus723 09-19-2012 06:08 AM

Then he can go to San Antonio, he's not going be in the K for the year. Big clubs aren't stupid, no chance this happens. He can also sign a contract then deal with Tallon I believe. Tallon's not going to risk not having his defenseman here for the year.

Coolburn 09-19-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 54441527)
Then he can go to San Antonio, he's not going be in the K for the year. Big clubs aren't stupid, no chance this happens. He can also sign a contract then deal with Tallon I believe. Tallon's not going to risk not having his defenseman here for the year.

Actually all that would happen is they work out a buyout like vorky was talking about. Most likely it would be a mutual buyout situation and the Panthers will pay a portion of the remaining contract to get him back here. The other Euro leagues are probably more flexible with this instead of the KHL so I think that makes more sense for where Kuli would play during the lockout.

Theokritos 09-19-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 54441527)
Tallon's not going to risk not having his defenseman here for the year.

It's not Tallon's choice, it's Kulikov's. As a RFA he is free to sign outside the NHL and to not come back if he pleases. He is not under contract with Florida. The R in RFA means other NHL franchises are restricted to sign the player, but European clubs are not restricted. If he signs in the KHL and Florida wants him back after the lockout is not going to be for free.

jol 09-20-2012 07:08 AM

NHL is canceling preseason games through September 30 and it looks like Kulikov is heading to Russia:

"With the most recent announcement from the league, many more players are expected to head to Europe to play in various professional leagues. Florida defenseman Dmitry Kulikov said Wednesday that he'll likely be playing in Russia by next week."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#storylink=cpy

Now, if lockout lasts only, let's say till New Years, what happens to him, when he comes back to NHL, does he have to go thru waiwers, i guess not, it's start of season, although January?

JOL

CHGoalie27 09-20-2012 09:33 AM

My gut says go with Laus on the notion that Tallon would keep rights to Kuli once play resumes...everyone's goin to Russia, many will return.

Beezeral 09-20-2012 04:25 PM

Considering Tallon has made a clerical mistake concerning RFA's before, I am very worried about this Kulikov situation.

It makes no sense that Kulikov would not be allowed to return to the Panthers, but at this point anything can happen and some clarification from an offical source would make me feel much better