HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Ottawa Senators-Phoenix Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250779)

Rabbit 08-24-2012 01:23 AM

Ottawa Senators-Phoenix Coyotes

Inspired by the other OTT-PHO trade thread, and a tip-off from poster "Manked"

Now even though I'm presenting this proposal, that doesn't mean I'm for it. In the end, I actually feel like I would turn it down. I just find it interesting based on unproven talent, age, orgazational need, and potential.

To OTT:
Gormley

To PHO:
Zinbanejad

Tough to swallow, but definitely intriguing.

SSoH 08-24-2012 01:26 AM

Value is fair, but I would like to see what we have in Gormley might just be the 3rd #1 d-man we produce.

Respectfully decline from Phoenix.

DKQ 08-24-2012 01:42 AM

As a neutral party, Id say this is a no-go. Gormley is looking like a stud, blue-chip prospect while Zibanejad is looking good but he still has a lot to prove. If I were Phoenix I'd look to move Murphy or Stone before I move Gormley

BonkTastic 08-24-2012 01:54 AM

I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Zibanejad, but Gormley would fill a massive organizational hole, and we'd be trading from a surplus (we're VERY overloaded at forward prospects at the moment) to fill a need.

Heck, I'd even throw in a 3rd rounder or secondary prospect (a Weircioch/Maidens -esque kid) to seal the deal, because of how good a fit I think Gormley would be in our system.

OmniSens 08-24-2012 02:20 AM

No thanks. I want to give Zibanejad at least a chance.

danishh 08-24-2012 02:24 AM

i know a lot of sens fans feel we're overloaded at F right now in terms of organizational depth, and we need to stock up on the back end a bit more, but Turris is only under contract for one more year, and Jason Spezza is a UFA (and 32 years old) in just three years. Joe Thornton started his decline in his 28yo season, spezza's staring his 29yo season this year.

Might not be a bad idea to keep zibanejad around as a little insurance at what seems to have been the most important position in the NHL (unless you luck out on a goaltender). We already have karlsson, cowen, and hopefully a 2nd pairing guy at least in ceci. If we trade zibanejad and spezza declines or turris has contract issues as an RFA, where are we then?

Hale The Villain 08-24-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 53819689)
As a neutral party, Id say this is a no-go. Gormley is looking like a stud, blue-chip prospect while Zibanejad is looking good but he still has a lot to prove. If I were Phoenix I'd look to move Murphy or Stone before I move Gormley

Mika is one of the most raw prospects in the game right now, which is expected considering where he has come in such a short amount of time. The kid flashes an elite skill set from time to time which makes you think of Marian Hossa. 6'2, 210 power winger with speed, soft hands and a huge shot. Problem is he doesn't bring his A game consistently. Some shifts he can be completely invisible, which shouldn't happen when you're a huge body that can skate as well as he can.

He has a lot to prove right now, but give him a couple years and you'll start to see glimpses of the player he could become. The finished product could be a really special player.

DesertDawg 08-24-2012 04:53 AM

Zibanejad is one of the very few prospects I wouldn't mind the Coyotes trading Gormley for. The question is who has a bigger upside! My guess is that they are about even in that neither will be elite, but both could be All-Stars. Zibanejad could fill a hole in the current roster, while Gormley would probably start the season in the 'A' because of depth reasons and being waiver exempt. That's probably the biggest reason why the Coyotes would be willing to right now instead ofwaiting and seeing how Gormley develops. And Zibanejad seems to be a Coach Tip kinda guy...

LatvianTwist 08-24-2012 06:37 AM

Sens probably need to sweeten the pot a bit.

rt 08-24-2012 09:21 AM

Thats a thanks but no thanks from this Coyotes fan.

brochenski 08-24-2012 12:06 PM

Hockey's Future and THN both have Zibanejad ranked higher than Gormley, but the Sens are very weak on the back end

guyzeur 08-24-2012 12:37 PM

Gormley and Cowen would make a great pairing if they were not playing on the same side.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/media/p...959_resize.jpg http://www.hockeycanada.ca/multimedi...owen_jared.jpg

rajuabju 08-24-2012 01:25 PM

I think this is a pretty decent proposal actually.

Do Make Say Think 08-24-2012 02:32 PM

Fair proposal but I wouldn't do it from Phoenix's perspective: they built a defense first team and Gromley could be yet another stud.
Of course the Coyotes can't keep all of them, but if they were to trade Gromley I would assume it would be sometime later, when he would have gained even more value.

PHX FireBirds18 08-24-2012 05:14 PM

With Gormley, he would be Karlsson's D partner for the next two decades. Someone who would allow him to play his style and not hurt the team on the D end. A true shutdown D-man in the mold of someone like Scuderi/Phillips but with a significant offensive upside. If everything goes right in Gormley development path he's going to have trade value closer to OEL and Yandle than a 1 for 1 prospect swap. I'll pass.

danishh 08-24-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 (Post 53834143)
With Gormley, he would be Karlsson's D partner for the next two decades. Someone who would allow him to play his style and not hurt the team on the D end. A true shutdown D-man in the mold of someone like Scuderi/Phillips but with a significant offensive upside. If everything goes right in Gormley development path he's going to have trade value closer to OEL and Yandle than a 1 for 1 prospect swap. I'll pass.

you just described jared cowen.

TurdFerguson 08-24-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 53819963)
i know a lot of sens fans feel we're overloaded at F right now in terms of organizational depth, and we need to stock up on the back end a bit more, but Turris is only under contract for one more year, and Jason Spezza is a UFA (and 32 years old) in just three years. Joe Thornton started his decline in his 28yo season, spezza's staring his 29yo season this year.

Might not be a bad idea to keep zibanejad around as a little insurance at what seems to have been the most important position in the NHL (unless you luck out on a goaltender). We already have karlsson, cowen, and hopefully a 2nd pairing guy at least in ceci. If we trade zibanejad and spezza declines or turris has contract issues as an RFA, where are we then?

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've always found that defense is the most important position.

VerySuperFamous 08-24-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 53819963)

:laugh: decline. better all around player ala Steve Yzerman's "decline".

DesertDawg 08-24-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brochenski (Post 53826709)
Hockey's Future and THN both have Zibanejad ranked higher than Gormley, but the Sens are very weak on the back end

They tend to rate Coyote prospects low every year regardless how well they have preformed. Us AZ fans are use to that. I also believe that THN had the Coyotes rated last in the Pacific last year. I don't remember who they had rated higher than Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

The Coyotes had Gormley rated 4-5 in the year he was drafted (they had Fowler 4-5, but thought Fowler was more NHL ready, but Gormley har a slightly higher ceiling).

mkearney913 08-25-2012 10:15 AM

The value is pretty fair in this deal, but personally, I would rather hang on to Zibanejad and wait for him to achieve his potential in North America.

I used to have the "build from the net out" mentality when it comes to making a team, but success in the NHL has recently come from teams with obscene forward depth. The Kings this past season are the prime example, but the Bruins and Penguins were also incredibly deep at forward when they finally won their respective Cups.

I think that Bryan Murray sees the value of having a group of talented forwards with two-way ability coming up in the system. Guys like Noesen, Stone and especially Zibanejad are all scorers with grit and two-way ability. Those intangibles may be the thing that puts this club over the top, relative to an excellent defender like Gormley.

Again, this is simply me noticing a trend. I think the value is there in this deal and many people would take this deal every day of the week. I just happen not to be one of them.

ReginKarlssonLehner 08-25-2012 01:16 PM

No thanks.

rt 08-25-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDawg (Post 53838157)
They tend to rate Coyote prospects low every year regardless how well they have preformed. Us AZ fans are use to that. I also believe that THN had the Coyotes rated last in the Pacific last year. I don't remember who they had rated higher than Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

The Coyotes had Gormley rated 4-5 in the year he was drafted (they had Fowler 4-5, but thought Fowler was more NHL ready, but Gormley har a slightly higher ceiling).

Their list was...

1. Taylor/Tyler
2. Taylor/Tyler
3. RyJo
4. Fowler
5. Gormley

Vatican Roulette 08-25-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 53834267)

Cowen's got a size advantage. That's helps being a shutdown d-man.
Not saying Gormley is bad or anything, just pointing out the comparison.

As for the trade, I think Pheonix should hang onto Gormley. They're becoming the Predators with all the fantastic D prospects.

Personally I think they should take the same path as well, develop defense and trade it for more help up front.

So how about Emmerton, Kindl and a 3rd for Yandle?

(Seriously? I didn't think that need sarcasm)

The Brewmeister 08-25-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette (Post 53853373)
Cowen's got a size advantage. That's helps being a shutdown d-man.
Not saying Gormley is bad or anything, just pointing out the comparison.

As for the trade, I think Pheonix should hang onto Gormley. They're becoming the Predators with all the fantastic D prospects.

Personally I think they should take the same path as well, develop defense and trade it for more help up front.

So how about Emmerton, Kindl and a 3rd for Yandle?

(Seriously? I didn't think that need sarcasm)

bout to respond to the offer til I barely read the white writing.

NVM.

PHX FireBirds18 08-25-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 53834267)

I suppose I did, but I don't think Cowen has the offensive upside of Gormley or the same ability to run a PP. Not that you guys need someone to do that. Don't get me wrong, not bashing the guy. I really wanted the Yotes to draft him his year after watching him as a 16 year old in the memorial cup. I just see Cowen ending up being more like a Mitchell/Gill kind of player and Gormley will have more Suter in his game. Similar players but one has a little bit more puck moving ability.