HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The KHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   League comparison? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250793)

Qward 08-24-2012 03:07 AM

League comparison?

I was hoping someone could answer this for me. I was looking at one of Ottawa's former draft picks and it says he played in the VHL.
It dawned on me that I do not know how it works over there.

If the KHL is the same as the NHL, is the MHL the same as the AHL? What does that make the VHL?

Thanks for the help!

vorky 08-24-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 53820161)
I was hoping someone could answer this for me. I was looking at one of Ottawa's former draft picks and it says he played in the VHL.
It dawned on me that I do not know how it works over there.

If the KHL is the same as the NHL, is the MHL the same as the AHL? What does that make the VHL?

Thanks for the help!

not. KHL is NHL, VHL is AHL, MHL is CHL (or one of canadian major jr leagues if you want). Yes, MHL has elder guys than typical junior league, but still is junior league. VHL is developing league as AHL in US/CAN

Qward 08-24-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorky (Post 53820343)
not. KHL is NHL, VHL is AHL, MHL is CHL (or one of canadian major jr leagues if you want). Yes, MHL has elder guys than typical junior league, but still is junior league. VHL is developing league as AHL in US/CAN

Thank you for clearing that up. I assumed MHL was closer seeing reports of player being sent down from KHL then being recalled.

Atas2000 08-24-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 53820421)
Thank you for clearing that up. I assumed MHL was closer seeing reports of player being sent down from KHL then being recalled.

There is a rule now in the KHL by which KHL teams have to suit 2 U20 players for each game. Not the wisest rule if you ask me, but it forces clubs to call up and send down the younger players from th MHL to fulfill that obligation. Basically a KHL franchise has an VHL and an MHL affiliate as well. The MHL affiliation is natural because of the traditional system with franchises having their own youth schools. The VHL are the teams which were mostly financially not strong enough to compete in the KHL. Like the AHL teams they sign affiliation agreements with KHL teams mostly on the regional basis. There are much fewer call ups during the season from the VHL though than betwenn NHL and AHL. The best teams from the VHL hope to get an expansion spot in the KHL. That is mostly decided by their financial back up and facilities which have to meet KHL requirements. HC Donbass from Ukraine will compete in the KHL this coming season after joining the VHL a year ago. So there are some aberations from the NA system, but basically KHL is the big league like the NHL, VHL is like AHL and MHl is a junior league similar to CHL or USHL.