HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Why hasn't Lidstrom said yes to the WC yet? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1250807)

PSGJ 08-24-2012 05:16 AM

Why hasn't Lidstrom said yes to the WC yet?

I saw this yesterday; the players who will play in the WC for the Wings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640304

Anyone know why Lidstrom isn't in there yet?

Henkka 08-24-2012 05:49 AM

The best announcement is saved for the last announcement. :)

Also Homer will be added... just wait.

Peter Tosh 08-24-2012 09:50 AM

Why hasn't Shanahan announced it yet? Is his role with the league preventing him from suiting up for a team for bias-reasons?

And Yzerman and Hull, are they prevented because of their commitments to their present teams?

Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Robitaille-Drake-Holmstrom
Kocur/McCarty-Draper-Maltby

Good ****!

FissionFire 08-24-2012 09:55 AM

I believe Yzerman has been quoted as saying he will not participate, which considering his position makes sense. I'm sure people around here wouldn't be too thrilled to read stories about Ken Holland skating around and spending time prepping for a glorified exhibition game in the middle of the season, especially if we're a likely playoff bubble team. Plus I doubt attending the WC is just a quick trip. Everyone would want him to participate in meet-and-greets and autograph signings for the fans as well. Sort of like the players at the All-Star game.

Really Yzerman has nothing to gain by coming. If he plays, he risks alienating his own team and/or their fans. If he plays and blows off the fan-oriented stuff he just loses some of his lustre to Wings fans (and believe me he would in the eyes of many). But if he skips completely everyone gives him a pass since, well he is the GM of another team in the middle of a season.

Crymson 08-24-2012 11:50 AM

Robitaille is director of hockey operations for the Kings. This position isn't anywhere near the prominence of a general manager, but it's not too far from what Hull is. I think the reason Hull isn't going to play is that he has gained 50 pounds since his last time on NHL ice.

Harnessed in Slums 08-24-2012 12:58 PM

In Ricky Bobby fashion Nick Lidstrom wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. I don't see an alumni game fitting in with how Norris Nick rolls. :naughty:

InGusWeTrust 08-24-2012 01:39 PM

I think Yzerman's knee is what is really keeping him from playing.

EDIT: Of course being a GM doesn't help either

WingedWheel1987 08-24-2012 01:52 PM

Isn't it going to be hilarious if Lidstrom plays in the alumni game and he is better than any defenseman currently playing on both the Wings and Leafs?

The Zetterberg Era 08-24-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FissionFire (Post 53823609)
I believe Yzerman has been quoted as saying he will not participate, which considering his position makes sense. I'm sure people around here wouldn't be too thrilled to read stories about Ken Holland skating around and spending time prepping for a glorified exhibition game in the middle of the season, especially if we're a likely playoff bubble team. Plus I doubt attending the WC is just a quick trip. Everyone would want him to participate in meet-and-greets and autograph signings for the fans as well. Sort of like the players at the All-Star game.

Really Yzerman has nothing to gain by coming. If he plays, he risks alienating his own team and/or their fans. If he plays and blows off the fan-oriented stuff he just loses some of his lustre to Wings fans (and believe me he would in the eyes of many). But if he skips completely everyone gives him a pass since, well he is the GM of another team in the middle of a season.

Just a side question, do you know how often Yzerman is actually in Detroit? It is more than you think in between games or when they have big four day breaks. Keep in mind his kids and wife still live in the area. He has not sold his house and he doesn't plan on it either from other conversations he has had publically. I think the problem is he will have either just been here with them or they will have come down to Tampa for the Christmas break.

A lot of the points you state are true, I don't know that he wants to play in a game like this. He is a pretty fiery guy, easy going alumni hockey might not be his cup of tea. I do think if he comes it will be a last minute thing where he does skip most of the media stuff. You think people would be upset, my guess is the standing ovation and the surprise would be more than enough everyone would forget.

My guess is Lidstrom has his jersey retired around the same time as the classic. At least that would make sense and he is back in town for that. Both Nick and Stevie were very at peace with walking away from the game though, don't know that this kind of event really does it for either guy.

RedMachine87 08-24-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Tosh (Post 53823473)
Why hasn't Shanahan announced it yet? Is his role with the league preventing him from suiting up for a team for bias-reasons?

And Yzerman and Hull, are they prevented because of their commitments to their present teams?

Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Robitaille-Drake-Holmstrom
Kocur/McCarty-Draper-Maltby

Good ****!

Yeah, good luck Toronto alum team. You're going to need it.

CloneHakanPlease* 08-24-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSGJ (Post 53820705)

Anyone know why Lidstrom isn't in there yet?

Lidstrom seems like the type of guy who couldn't care less about this type of thing. If he does it, it's for the fans.

RomersWorld* 08-25-2012 03:10 PM

Joe Nieuwendyk is playing for the Leafs... who he played like 60 games for and he is the GM of another team. If he is playing for the Leafs, I don't see how Yzerman won't be playing for the Red Wings...unless the knee thing is true.

Saw on NHLnetwork:
Dallas Drake, Petr Klima, Paul Ysebaert, Garry Unger will play for the Wings.
Joe Nieuwendyk, Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and Frank Mahovlich added for the Leafs.

JamieG 08-26-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 53854159)
Joe Nieuwendyk is playing for the Leafs... who he played like 60 games for and he is the GM of another team. If he is playing for the Leafs, I don't see how Yzerman won't be playing for the Red Wings...unless the knee thing is true.

Saw on NHLnetwork:
Joe Nieuwendyk, Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and Frank Mahovlich added for the Leafs.

Personally, I think it's really lame and selfish for Yzerman to do the "I'm not coming" thing. It's actually going to create more attention for him by not going.

I don't buy the "knee" as the reason either. He's not crippled and we're talking about a frigging alumni game. It's a casual skate. His knee is not that bad that he can never skate again.
Plus, honestly, even if he had his leg amputated and wanted to be apart of it he would go and be a guest coach, etc, something just to be included. The main thing about these alumni games is to give the fans a chance to cheer for their name one more time.

I think there are 2 real reasons why Yzerman is taking the stance he is.

1. He's trying to distance himself from Detroit. There's a perception that he's still a Red Wing and that he's just in Tampa until the GM job becomes vacant in Detroit and then he will hop back to Detroit. He probably somehow thinks that by participating in this for Detroit it will show a lack of commitment to TB....it's ridiculous but I suspect that's the reason.

2. He just thinks alumni games or stupid and hokey.

Regardless, no doubt the right thing to do is to participate. It will be incredibly selfish if he sticks to it and I'm disappointed that he's taken the stance he has and has already attracted attention onto himself instead of the event. Yzerman always had the fake "I'm not important" persona but seriously, he knows that by not going it's going to be one of the headlines. Legends like Larionov and Fetisov are apparently coming despite their ties with the KHL and all the stuff between the two leagues and even Fedorov is apparently going to play -- if anyone had reason to snub the game it's Fedorov considering the way it ended in Detroit and the awful way he was greeted afterwards.

As for Lidstrom, I think he will play. He just retired. Probably the first thought after he retires isn't "but I will play in the WC alumni game!"

JamieG 08-26-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSGJ (Post 53820705)

The question is...could the Wings alumni team beat the 2012/13 edition of the Red Wings? Hmmm....

Henkka 08-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Saw on NHLnetwork:

Picking Nieuwendyk is already a joke. Being a GM for another team makes it a double joke.

JamieG 08-26-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkka (Post 53869295)
Picking Nieuwendyk is already a joke. Being a GM for another team makes it a double joke.

The Leafs seem hard up to get players to participate. Hell, Kevin Maguire is playing for them! A goon for them for what, a season and a half? And then a terrible ref.

But being a GM of another team isn't a reason to not play. It's an alumni game. It doesn't matter.

RedWingsNow* 08-26-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FissionFire (Post 53823609)

I couldn't disagree more.
For one, I don't think anyone would hold it against any NHL gm for doing this. Besides. It's New Year's Day. What do we care how Kenny Holland or Stevie Yzerman spend their holiday.

I think most people are sophisticated enough to understand that being a GM isn't a 24-7 deal. He can check his voicemail between periods.

Elever 08-27-2012 05:25 PM

Anyone have a really good action picture of Lidstrom? Trying to make my own hockey cards for recently retired players, made one for Staios and am now gonna use photoshop for the first time to make one for the rest with Lidstrom being the first. A hockey card is only as good as the main pic though so if someone has a good one then would appreciate it.

The pic itself doesn't have to be recent as long as the quality is good.

ForsbergForever 08-27-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Saw on NHLnetwork:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mahovlich, who will be days away from his 75th birthday, will not be suiting up to actually play...

FabricDetails 08-28-2012 10:30 AM

Because he's a bad person.

hyduK 08-28-2012 10:31 AM

Because he's considering coming back for another season....

Right..?

:(

The Zetterberg Era 08-28-2012 11:27 AM

Lidstrom is the perfect human, he already knows the lockout will cancel the Winter Classic. If there was going to be one, he would have played one more year.;)

NumberFive 08-28-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieG (Post 53869083)
Personally, I think it's really lame and selfish for Yzerman to do the "I'm not coming" thing. It's actually going to create more attention for him by not going.

I don't buy the "knee" as the reason either. He's not crippled and we're talking about a frigging alumni game...

I think there are 2 real reasons why Yzerman is taking the stance he is.

1. He's trying to distance himself from Detroit.
. . .
2. He just thinks alumni games or stupid and hokey.

Regardless, no doubt the right thing to do is to participate. It will be incredibly selfish if he sticks to it and I'm disappointed that he's taken the stance he has and has already attracted attention onto himself instead of the event.

Ooo, that hurt! Bet he's changing his mind as we speak.

At the end of the day, get it through - Yzerman is no longer a hockey player. He's a businessman. If he were up to it and time allowed, I'm sure he'd do it. But he's got just slightly more important business matters to consider (hello, lockout?) above and beyond standing on the ice waving to us just so we won't throw tantrums on online forums.

If Lecavalier was our GM and we were faced with a potential lockout with a team that's admittedly going to struggle to make the playoffs, I wouldn't want him dashing off to play an alumni game with old TB buddies, either. You got business here at home, pal.

SoupNazi 08-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 53918109)
Lidstrom is the perfect human, he already knows the lockout will cancel the Winter Classic. If there was going to be one, he would have played one more year.;)

This.

The Zetterberg Era 08-28-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberFive (Post 53929675)
Ooo, that hurt! Bet he's changing his mind as we speak.

At the end of the day, get it through - Yzerman is no longer a hockey player. He's a businessman. If he were up to it and time allowed, I'm sure he'd do it. But he's got just slightly more important business matters to consider (hello, lockout?) above and beyond standing on the ice waving to us just so we won't throw tantrums on online forums.

If Lecavalier was our GM and we were faced with a potential lockout with a team that's admittedly going to struggle to make the playoffs, I wouldn't want him dashing off to play an alumni game with old TB buddies, either. You got business here at home, pal.

Well GMJN in Dallas did him no favors then. I wonder how angry Yzerman was about that decision. Joe Nieuwendyk has really put him in a tough position. A guy on the playoff bubble, building a team and only played in Toronto for one season can make it up. I have said several times around here I won't hold it against Stevie if he makes the choice not to come. But I think it is the wrong choice to make and he is going have trouble pretending his job in Tampa is the reason he can't. If he isn't there, it is because he doesn't want to play in it, but be clear it looks like it will be his decision alone and it is an option if he wanted any part of it.