HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Canadian Junior Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   What CHL is the best? OHL, QMJHL, or WHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1251263)

turbodaze 08-25-2012 09:22 AM

What CHL is the best? OHL, QMJHL, or WHL?

I'm from the USA and I would LOVE to watch some free stream or old games online if anyone can give me links.

But I want to ask, what is the best Junior Hockey League in Canada and WHY?

Whenever I get a chance I really like watching the WHL with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ryan English 08-25-2012 09:39 AM

I will not pick out one superior league out of the 3, but I believe the OHL is the deepest league talent-wise, WHL does well with slightly more defensive gritty hockey and the QMJHL is the most offence-oriented though they have less depth of talent than the other two leagues, in my opinion.

LeafsFIO 08-25-2012 04:05 PM

Hard to say between the WHL and OHL but I'd give the edge to OHL. Developed so many top picks over the years and their play is more similiar to NHL hockey than any other Junior league in the world. The dub is fairly high-skill, lots of big bodies, really physical league. Talent-wise, Quebec is the worst by a landslide, but it's by far the most exciting. Almost every rink is rich with history and atmosphere, games are uncivilized on and off the ice usually. If you want fast-paced hockey with sheer insanity mixed in, the LNAH is your best bet. That being said, The QMJHL will still do in a pinch.

Nuck This 08-28-2012 08:05 PM

I'll say OHL has more top end talent and they seem to be the choice of many european and U.S junior players but the WHL plays a harder and tougher brand of hockey. I'd say for forwards OHL and defenseman WHL.

ORYX 09-06-2012 10:18 AM

Each league is different then the other in certain distinctive ways.

WHL - More of a defensive minded game that is very physical. They possess the offensive talent as other two, but due to the game structure, it isnt seen as often.

QMJHL - Pure offense and speed. There are many undersized players in this league who excell, but not at the professional level due to size. Traditionally, great skaters.

OHL - The most high end talent out of the three leagues, and more of a balance. The OHL has both defensive minded structure and offensive.

I am biased towards the OHL because its what I watch regularly, so i enjoy it most. I expect those from the east say the same of QMJHL and west of WHL.

Hockeycan 09-09-2012 04:04 AM

Hi, how then if you add and compare USHL with OHL, WHL & QMJHL. How would you describe/compare this US league with the Canadien leagues ?

pigpen65 09-19-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeycan (Post 54188937)
Hi, how then if you add and compare USHL with OHL, WHL & QMJHL. How would you describe/compare this US league with the Canadien leagues ?

College football analogy would be Division I to Division II. The CHL is the major pool of talent for the big league, but occasionally a guy from the lower league makes his way through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_by_NHL_teams

Alpine 09-26-2012 10:41 AM

Pick your poison
The Q is said to be offensive but then Letang, Yandle and A MacDonald came outta the league and a host of defensive forwards.
It's cyclical.
But with McKinnon alone...Gormley maybe back because of the lock-out.......what's that guys name in SJ that starts with H and ends in deau
I may because of my bias say don't marginalize the Q

Fixed to Ruin 09-27-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine (Post 54595539)
Pick your poison
The Q is said to be offensive but then Letang, Yandle and A MacDonald came outta the league and a host of defensive forwards.
It's cyclical.
But with McKinnon alone...Gormley maybe back because of the lock-out.......what's that guys name in SJ that starts with H and ends in deau
I may because of my bias say don't marginalize the Q

I think the old WHL / QMJHL stereotypes are falling. One team in the Q in the last 5 years has produced the likes of Yandle, MacDonald, Savard, Barbeirio, Gormley. Add in Letang and Couturier who is an excellent 2 way forward, the QMJHL isn't what it used to be.

WHL is the same way, RNH, Lazar, Reinhart are very elite forwards who will be top line talent in the future.

I think all 3 leagues are fairly even. OHL has more depth, and the QMJHL has less depth.

NBHockey 11-21-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devils4cup (Post 54623981)
I think the old WHL / QMJHL stereotypes are falling. One team in the Q in the last 5 years has produced the likes of Yandle, MacDonald, Savard, Barbeirio, Gormley. Add in Letang and Couturier who is an excellent 2 way forward, the QMJHL isn't what it used to be.

WHL is the same way, RNH, Lazar, Reinhart are very elite forwards who will be top line talent in the future.

I think all 3 leagues are fairly even. OHL has more depth, and the QMJHL has less depth.

Agreed on all your points, however population density would have a lot to do with the depth for the OHL.

In the Memorial Cup finals since 2000: 10 Q teams, 8 WHL teams and 8 OHL teams. Of those teams, the Q has won 4, the OHL has won 4 and the WHL has won 5.

Pyrophorus 12-01-2012 12:01 AM

The #1 and #2 in terms of graduates to the NHL, are both in the O.

Rocko604 12-16-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeycan (Post 54188937)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigpen65 (Post 54445561)
College football analogy would be Division I to Division II. The CHL is the major pool of talent for the big league, but occasionally a guy from the lower league makes his way through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_by_NHL_teams

Keep in mind that when a player from the USHL gets drafted, they're either on their way to the NCAA or possibly the CHL, as was the case for Miller, Murphy and Biggs this season. Since 2010, about half of the draft picks are also out of the US NTDP (U-18).

I'd put the USHL below all three CHL leagues, but using the college football analogy, it's more FBS to FCS. A more fair comparison would be the USHL vs. the CJHL (Jr. A). A series between the Royal Bank Cup and Clark Cup champions would be cool.

IHaveNoCreativity 12-28-2012 02:06 AM

The Q is the most entertaining.

BigNumber1Centre 01-15-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuck This (Post 53929975)
I'll say OHL has more top end talent and they seem to be the choice of many european and U.S junior players but the WHL plays a harder and tougher brand of hockey. I'd say for forwards OHL and defenseman WHL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe each of the three leagues has the right to select players from certain states, i.e. the Q selects from the New England region, the O selects from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, etc, and the dub selects from the west (California, Texas).

Also, Europeans enter the CHL via the import draft, so in theory, the leagues should all be relatively balanced in terms of american and european talent.