HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Emelins development .. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1251303)

Johnny Danger 08-25-2012 11:21 AM

Emelins development ..

hey ..

how did you like emelins development over the season? did he improve his positioning?

what about his upside?

thx

Fozz 08-25-2012 11:25 AM

Emelin got more comfortable and assertive as the season progressed. I think he learned a lot during his first season and still has quite a bit of room for further improvement.

Kriss E 08-25-2012 11:38 AM

He looked much better as the season progressed. He also was a lot more comfortable on his natural left side. He had to adjust to playing on the right side, an considering this is a new style of hockey for him, at a higher level of competition, with more games, I felt he did pretty well.

Tusk 08-25-2012 11:41 AM

I'm totally having a mental block but how long and much did he re-sign for?

Odelein24 08-25-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tusk (Post 53849773)
I'm totally having a mental block but how long and much did he re-sign for?

2yrs at 2mil per IIRC.

Bullsmith 08-25-2012 01:26 PM

I see Emelin as someone with the potential to take a significant step forward this season, but it's far from a guarantee. He needs a regular shift on the left side, needs to be in shape coming in and keep himself that way, and he needs to learn to pick his spots. I wish we had someone to play him with who could protect him more, both before the whistle and after. Of course I feel that way about half our team. Replacing Kaberle with a rugged, reliable physical RD would be a good move for the team, and a good thing for Emelin, IMO, even if they didn't play together.

Not that I'm suggesting MB could simply Kaberle for one. I'm not.

domdo345 08-25-2012 01:29 PM

He definitely showed improvement on the D zone coverage and his pinching for the big hits almost never cost a chance. Above that, he showed more and more confidence into supporting the rushes on the second wave, and even when SH. The Emelin love was strong and reduced greatly since the tank/draft. I am pretty sure this guy will be a stud this year and he'll remember the fans why they loved him last year, right from the training camp! Another one of the good contracts on the habs. This team has the potential to be strong if the cards are played right.

3hirty6ix 08-25-2012 01:38 PM

He can be a total stud if the coach uses him right. His WC performance proved it.

Blind Gardien 08-25-2012 01:45 PM

To be honest, I'd almost rather he give up a little in his positional coverage if it meant he'd throw the killer hits a bit more often, or that maybe he'd move on offense a bit more often. He toned down on the killer hits a bit later in the season, I thought. It probably did make him slightly more effective overall. But nowhere near as entertaining.

Vi Nc E x13x 08-25-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 53852297)
To be honest, I'd almost rather he give up a little in his positional coverage if it meant he'd throw the killer hits a bit more often, or that maybe he'd move on offense a bit more often. He toned down on the killer hits a bit later in the season, I thought. It probably did make him slightly more effective overall. But nowhere near as entertaining.

I agree with this .. Watching those highlight reel hits every game was so much fun to watch .. Id also like him to be used on PP even if its only 2nd unit

DAChampion 08-25-2012 01:52 PM

He has the potential to become a legitimate 2nd pairing dmen with two-way ability by the end of the season.

They should give him time on the 2nd PP unit.

Myron Gaines* 08-25-2012 01:57 PM

I liked when Emelin played like the hitting machine he is, but late in the season he really toned it down and IMO he wasn't as effective. He's been showing flashes offensively, there's no doubt in my mind that he will develop into a solid 2-way defenceman.

Hitting is such a huge part of his game.

Kriss E 08-25-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myron Gaines (Post 53852565)
I liked when Emelin played like the hitting machine he is, but late in the season he really toned it down and IMO he wasn't as effective. He's been showing flashes offensively, there's no doubt in my mind that he will develop into a solid 2-way defenceman.

Hitting is such a huge part of his game.

I think that was due to him playing out of position. He got paired with Markov late in the season, which meant playing on the right as opposed to the left where he's clearly more comfortable.
Fatigue might have had something to do with it as well.

Dirty Danglez 08-25-2012 02:20 PM

I loved his highlight reel hits... but that's all he was good for last season. He was TERRIBLE in his own zone (on the left or right hand side) and was not very productive offensively either (didn't expect him to be).

He definitely has the potential to be a top 4 dman, but he did not look very good in his first season besides the huge hits.

Crimson Skorpion 08-25-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Given Therrien is now coaching the team, I think Emelin will be encouraged to throw his weight around and be a physical presence when he's on the ice. A smart move would be to pair him with Markov. When Komisarek was paired with Markov, he was unreal. He could throw big hits, be a beast in corners and not have to worry about giving up too much ice when leaving his position because Markov would be there to cover him. Emelin could benefit a lot and even learn as the season goes on.

OneSharpMarble 08-25-2012 02:58 PM

I don't like how he stopped hitting, seemed to regress at that point. The defense outside of Markovs comeback play and Gorges rock solid defense was just utterly mishandled. Everything from Subbans shot falling apart to Kaberles terrible PP partners, I am hoping Therrien can fix the whole back end.

Analyzer 08-25-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez (Post 53853077)
I loved his highlight reel hits... but that's all he was good for last season. He was TERRIBLE in his own zone (on the left or right hand side) and was not very productive offensively either (didn't expect him to be).

He definitely has the potential to be a top 4 dman, but he did not look very good in his first season besides the huge hits.

He improved defensively throughout the season. Started off pretty poorly.

montreal 08-25-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 53849419)
hey ..

how did you like emelins development over the season? did he improve his positioning?

what about his upside?

thx

I hope they keep him on the left side going forward, but overall I thought he was ok for his first full season in North America. If you look at his last 5 seasons in Russia, over the course of 4 seasons he put little in the way of offense with just 21 points in total but then in his final season he puts up 27, 6 more points that he had in 4 seasons. So it makes you wonder if in time he will develop his offensive game more as he adjusts and gets comfortable out there. If not you know he will be an aggressive physical defender, but one that imo should not be used on the right side.

Was thinking that if Markov could get close to his former self, if management would consider breaking up the Gorges-Subban duo to see what Gorges can do for Emelin as they could be a very good shut down pair that block shots. Having a very steady player like Gorges might be just what he needs as he certainly had troubles in his own end.

Hackett 08-25-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

I also think that he got a reputation around the league pretty quick. People became aware of his attributes, and that extra awareness made those open ice a little less frequent to come by.

Players may not have known much about him in the first half of the season, but I'm sure he's made a name for himself by now.

Open ice hitters develop a reputation much like the intimidating heavyweight enforcers. Word spreads around eventually, and they get less and less dance partners.

Ivan13 08-25-2012 03:40 PM

He should be used more on the PP.

overlords 08-25-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 53853849)
I don't like how he stopped hitting, seemed to regress at that point. The defense outside of Markovs comeback play and Gorges rock solid defense was just utterly mishandled. Everything from Subbans shot falling apart to Kaberles terrible PP partners, I am hoping Therrien can fix the whole back end.

I thought it was confirmed he had a shoulder injury or something.

Mrb1p 08-25-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez (Post 53853077)

He was not terrible. Maybe at the start where he had trouble with his positioning.. But at the end I tought he was pretty solid and had shown great flashes of offense (Remember that goal on a Markov like sneak.)

Dagistitsyn 08-25-2012 05:19 PM

I hope he picked up some english this year.. that had to be confusing as hell for him too.

LeMAD 08-25-2012 06:36 PM

Not sure who's to blame, but the Markov-Emelin pairing was pathetic at the end of the season.

DAChampion 08-25-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 53857883)
Not sure who's to blame, but the Markov-Emelin pairing was pathetic at the end of the season.

Markov was rusty, inevitable for a high-IQ player like him.

He'll also be rusty for the first 20 or 30 games next year.