HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Wearing out of glove palms.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1251357)

TaiMaiShu 08-25-2012 01:09 PM

Wearing out of glove palms....

So i've always dealt with the palm of my top hand glove wearing out. I know it's from the hockey tape I use for grip. So has anyone tried those rubber stick ends or an alternative to stop this from happening? I am already noticing this on a new pair of gloves now and want this to stop.

hyster110 08-25-2012 02:04 PM

how much do you spend on your gloves?

kr580 08-25-2012 02:42 PM

People have had success with the Tacki-Mac grips. They seem to work but they are too thick for some people's preferences. I tried one and lost a lot of feel with them.

I personally use SportsTape cohesive gauze tape. It's tacky but doesn't actually have any sticky stuff on it to mess with your palms. Search 'hockey gauze tape' on ebay.

bigduga 08-26-2012 04:39 PM

I baby-powder the ever-loving ***** out of my knob.

...which is an awesome sentence, but seriously.

At the first taping, the knob gets covered in baby powder, and then it gets re-dusted once every few skates until it just isn't tacky any more. It doesn't stop wearing your gloves out entirely, but it helps a *lot*...at least it has for me.

...and you keep the feel of your preferred tape-job instead of having to get used to the clunky rubber-plug - which if you're as intolerant of change as I am, matters.

ReverendAlBundy 08-26-2012 07:18 PM

Just go over your knob with clear tape.

IDuck 08-26-2012 10:52 PM

i will say it again...tennis raquet grips (the thin over-grips)....agree with other post about tacki-macs being too thick, and i use to use the rubbery guaze (which is actually pretty good) but i have a $30 pair of gloves that look (dont smell) like the day i bought them and its because of the grips...i have used high end gloves that didnt last half as long then my current ones

ChiTownHawks 08-27-2012 08:52 AM

The Patrick Kane tacki mac is very thin and I would recommend it. The other ones are too thick though.

Jarick 08-27-2012 09:45 AM

It depends on the type of palm, but I've been using grip tape (the stuff that sticks to itself) for years and I think it helps quite a bit. Tacki Mac are good products (just bought some of their golf grips to try out) but on average are too thick and the knob selection sucks. Seriously, they don't make just a regular 1" thick knob.

TrueBlue86 08-27-2012 10:11 AM

how much does it cost to repalm gloves, isn't it around $30- not too bad

Jarick 08-27-2012 10:19 AM

Yeah about $30 per glove, but having mismatched gloves is annoying and it does change how the gloves fit. Having done it a couple times, I loved how the gloves fit before and hated how they fit afterwards. So $60 and a roll of the dice to see if they fit or not...I'd rather pony up a bit more cash and get new gloves.

I am super picky about my gloves and how they fit. I dislike just about every new pair on the market. Luckily, I found a pair of Warrior Koncept gloves on clearance for $35. After breaking in, they fit very comfy. So I bought a second pair, and will rotate them and probably get 2-3 more years from them.

Side note, if you find them on clearance, check them out. Well-built gloves with plastic inserts on the fingers and backroll, good palms, quick drying liner, and mesh gussets for under $40? Yes, please. The new ones look really cool and fit great but don't have the mesh gussets.

howeaboutthat 08-27-2012 11:01 AM

Has anyone tried using these to repair their gloves?

Jarick 08-28-2012 03:04 PM

No, but it actually looks interesting.

r3cc0s 08-29-2012 11:50 AM

I just don't think there is any way around it... I know people with the tackimac's and such, and within a season they'll still start wearing down their palm on their dominant hand

I suggest you get two of the gloves you like an alternate?