HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Kroenke not cheap? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1251713)

the_fan 08-26-2012 03:19 PM

Kroenke not cheap?

He just paid Lukas Podolski 11 mill Euro for transfer to Arsenal. And he's gonna make 100.000 Euro per week salary for 4 years.

Shows that Kroenke isn't really cheap, he just waits for the right time to spend money on the right players.

Tralfamadore 08-26-2012 03:31 PM

Or he just puts money into business when theres money to be made in said business.

electricjib 08-26-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fan (Post 53872985)
He just paid Lukas Podolski 11 mill Euro for transfer to Arsenal. And he's gonna make 100.000 Euro per week salary for 4 years.

Shows that Kroenke isn't really cheap, he just waits for the right time to spend money on the right players.

Take it for what its worth...but I work in Video production and we had a interview with a wealthy and prominent Denver figure this week, and they're willing to spend for players.

There was a news report they made offers to Parise and Suter as well...i wouldn't call them cheap, they just don't want to overspend on players that might be good, but not worth there cap hit.

JWK 08-26-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Psh, that's the money from RVP transfer :sarcasm: kinda, not really ;)

Nzap 08-26-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

That happened like a month ago.

And that is petty cash in the Soccer community.

Edin Hazard: 50mil transfer, 200.000 (approx) euro/week to Chelsea.
Lucas Moura: 45mil transfer, salary not available to PSG.

A couple of years ago Real Madrid paid over 130 million Euros combined for Christiano Ronaldo (from ManU) and Kaka (AC Milan)

Moura is a 19 year old who is paid for potential.

11 million euros is really nothing compared to those kind of deals.
Hell, ManU paid 24mil Euros to Arsenal for their nr.1 striker Robin van Persie and are paying him approx. 200.000/ week.
So yes, Arsenal is cheap as well.

And if you compare van Persie to Podolski using hockey-players it's like Arsenal selling Kovalchuk and buying Patric Hornqvist to replace him.
(van Persie one of the best strikers in Europe, Podolski isn't on the same level)

electricjib 08-26-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricjib (Post 53873295)
Take it for what its worth...but I work in Video production and we had a interview with a wealthy and prominent Denver figure this week, and they're willing to spend for players.

There was a news report they made offers to Parise and Suter as well...i wouldn't call them cheap, they just don't want to overspend on players that might be good, but not worth there cap hit.

edit: this person wasn't directly involved. Just knew them.

Duchene2MacKinnon 08-26-2012 04:04 PM

This again:rolleyes:. He's not spending money from his pocket. Arsenal have sold Nasri, Cesc, RVP and Song in the past 3 years. Those 4 players alone were sold around 100 million. It went on decling player like Podolski or unproven players like Giroud. Who were bought for peanuts compared to how much Arsenal gained in there players being sold.

CalderKing21 08-26-2012 06:26 PM

that's cheap as hell for a euro football player.
he didn't have a choice but to spend as the other shareholders of Arsenal want his head on a pike for being cheap.

Lonewolfe2015 08-26-2012 06:42 PM

How the hell can a soccer club afford to spend that kind of money, let alone ANY sports franchise? 130mil Euros just to get their rights?

Drizzt1 08-26-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

LoL mate, ask Arsenal fans what they think of Kroenke. You couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. They have shipped out a bucket-load of top quality talent, and bought in a lot of mediocre talent.

I just thank my lucky stars I'm a Chelsea fan.

Then look at what's happening in Colorado. Model looks very similar? Top end talent retires, and moves, and is replaced by a whole lot of mediocre.

It's the Kroenke way.

Bender 08-26-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt1 (Post 53879893)
LoL mate, ask Arsenal fans what they think of Kroenke. You couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. They have shipped out a bucket-load of top quality talent, and bought in a lot of mediocre talent.

I just thank my lucky stars I'm a Chelsea fan.

Then look at what's happening in Colorado. Model looks very similar? Top end talent retires, and moves, and is replaced by a whole lot of mediocre.

It's the Kroenke way.

:shakehead

Do you really think that Foote or Forsberg wouldn't have been kept if it wasn't for the ridiculous $39M cap? (they actually BOTH ended up coming back)

I'll agree with you that guys like Brisebois and Arnason were mediocre but the Avs have moved away from that in a major way since then and have the youngest core in the league.

If you think the current Avs lineup is mediocre, I would seriously suggest just sticking to watching soccer...

I would comment on the soccer stuff but I don't know jack-**** about it, so I won't.

Ivan13 08-26-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 53877291)
How the hell can a soccer club afford to spend that kind of money, let alone ANY sports franchise? 130mil Euros just to get their rights?

Technically they can't since both Real and Barca are in deep minuses when it comes to their bank accounts, but their country is letting them get away with it to please the masses.

Elever 08-26-2012 11:31 PM

Kroenke is probably the cheapest owner of any big European club and probably rivals Freddy Sheppard as the cheapest owner of a decent sized club in recent times. In fact he's so cheap that Arsenal can't even be called a big club anymore. This was a team that a decade ago went undefeated for 49 games but now is barely even challenging for a spot in the top 4 despite having one of the biggest fan bases in the UK (they usually used to finish 1 or 2 for a decade).

They just lost another player from their starting lineup and Kroenke imo really is cheap.

They say they made an offer for Parise/Suter, it could've just been a 6 M cap hit for all we know. It could have been 7 M+ but I think he's pretty cheap when it comes to hockey at least.

BrickAHL 08-27-2012 12:32 AM

Teh moneyzz was from RVP, Fabregas, Nasri and Song. Who cares if he made offers to Suter and Parise, he is teh cheap. I wish we could go back to the days where our ownership cared about winning.

motojime 08-27-2012 01:09 AM

For the last decade or more, Arsenal has been focusing on developing from within, and accompanying their young talent with stop-gap solutions.
Not something directly coming from Kroenke.

Duchene2MacKinnon 08-27-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickAHL (Post 53884241)
Teh moneyzz was from RVP, Fabregas, Nasri and Song. Who cares if he made offers to Suter and Parise, he is teh cheap. I wish we could go back to the days where our ownership cared about winning.

Not sure if this is directed at me but I will go ahead an assume so, For all we know the Parise/SSuter offers were for 4 mill a piece. What I said about Arsenal is all true, they don't spend and when they do it's after they sold one of there superstars only to buy a couple of okay players. Arsenals biggest buy is Arshivin for 17 million and that was about 4 years ago, you compare that with players like Downing who had 0 goals and 0 assists, last year were bought for 20 million or Oscar/Lucas who are essentially prospects being bought for around 30. 17 million on a player looks like nothing. As long as the avs are at the bottom in terms of cap then this speculation won't go away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motojime (Post 53884883)
For the last decade or more, Arsenal has been focusing on developing from within, and accompanying their young talent with stop-gap solutions.
Not something directly coming from Kroenke.

So, what's stopping them from keeping there players? Why, do they sell a player as soon as he wants a raise? You look at the players they had and they easily could've had a trophy or 2 if they kept them all.

JoemAvs 08-27-2012 02:56 AM

I am from Germany and a huge soccer fan. Believe me Poldi is not a sign for Kroenke wanting to spend money lol. He is quite the opposite.

In fact my worries and beliefs about the Avs not spending any money are partly originated in the way Kroenke is handling Arsenal.

Cheapskate would be way too nice. Fabregas, Nasri, RVP, Song and so on. He just did not want to pay the wages or the fees necessary to build a contender around those guys. That is why all of them wanted to get the hell out of there. Arsenal is a shadow of what it was a few years ago before Kroenke. And it should be a cash cow. The brand has been partly ruined though.

So if Arsenal is any indication of what is to come for the Avs we are basically doomed. I am really curious why that is though.

Maybe he expanded too quick. Arsenal and the Rams in 5 years time. That is a crapload of money invested.

AdamCalderHero 08-27-2012 04:14 AM

With all this talk about Arsenal, all the players sold except Song had publicly stated they wanted to leave the club and Wenger decided he didn't want to keep an unhappy player. So you can't call Kroenke cheap for not keeping these players.

The only way you can call him cheap is for not bringing in the quality of supporting cast to make Arsenal a serious contender.

Drizzt1 08-27-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 53881065)

Do you really think that Foote or Forsberg wouldn't have been kept if it wasn't for the ridiculous $39M cap? (they actually BOTH ended up coming back)

I'll agree with you that guys like Brisebois and Arnason were mediocre but the Avs have moved away from that in a major way since then and have the youngest core in the league.

If you think the current Avs lineup is mediocre, I would seriously suggest just sticking to watching soccer...

I would comment on the soccer stuff but I don't know jack-**** about it, so I won't.

I surely hope you jest right there.

We just came 20th (missed play-offs)
The year before we came 29th (missed play-offs)
The year before we came 12th (out on the first round)
The year before we came 28th (missed play-offs)

Three out of our last 4 years, we have missed play-offs, and two of those were bottom three.

Now, you said I should stick to soccer, because I have no idea what I'm talking about, then claimed we have the youngest team in the league as it stands. We most certainly had the youngest core in 2011/2012, with an average age of 26.067, but with the acquisitions of Parenteau (30 next year), Mitchell (28 next year), Zanon (33 next year), and with our core one year older, we would be closer to circa 27.616 (especially in the event no rookies should make the team based on the below line-up), which has us 11th - 15th oldest in the NHL, so this can no longer be an excuse.

Yes, I consider Avs line-up VERY mediocre to be honest and fair. Do we boast the line-up's The Hawk's, The Cap's, The Canuck's, The Penguin's, The Rangers, The Flyers, The Bruin's & co. do?

Lets be honest here, and say no.

For that reason, our line-up is mediocre (I'd say offense is "average", our defense is horrible, our goalie situation is excellent).

Projected line-up:-

Top three lines in no particular order here:

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Parenteau - Duchene - Hejduk
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew

Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere

My opinion: this is a 19th - 29th placed team. Therefore, I stand by my comments with all due respect, we have a mediocre line-up that still gets dominated by certain teams.

Put it this way. We don't have a blood rivalry with Detroit anymore, because they turned into a team out of our league quality wise both on and off the ice (which kinda stinks).

Drizzt1 08-27-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero (Post 53886031)
With all this talk about Arsenal, all the players sold except Song had publicly stated they wanted to leave the club and Wenger decided he didn't want to keep an unhappy player. So you can't call Kroenke cheap for not keeping these players.

The only way you can call him cheap is for not bringing in the quality of supporting cast to make Arsenal a serious contender.

Mate, wasn't Wenger quoted as saying his hands were tied roster moves wise just recently?

AdamCalderHero 08-27-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt1 (Post 53886161)
Mate, wasn't Wenger quoted as saying his hands were tied roster moves wise just recently?

I haven't heard that quote personally. He said after the game yesterday that he was looking to make more moves before the transfer window closes and a holding midfielder was specifically mentioned. Maybe he meant his hands were tied because the players wanted to leave so he had to let them go?

Drizzt1 08-27-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero (Post 53886179)
I haven't heard that quote personally. He said after the game yesterday that he was looking to make more moves before the transfer window closes and a holding midfielder was specifically mentioned. Maybe he meant his hands were tied because the players wanted to leave so he had to let them go?

Hmmm...possibly, maybe I heard it wrong....and maybe I'm bias, because I personally believe The Kroenke's have destroyed this great team of ours.

El_Loco_Avs 08-27-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero (Post 53886031)

Song desperately wanted to stay too. Kinda weird, he just wanted to talk about an extension, waited for 8 months to talk about it. And when Barca came along he just thought "well, fine!". And they gave him the 5 year contract he wanted.

Lonewolfe2015 08-27-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt1 (Post 53886149)
then claimed we have the youngest team in the league as it stands.

Youngest core. Not team.

S E P H 08-27-2012 10:11 AM

Drizzt1 stop posting stupid, you never would have bought Hazard if you never won the CL. Majority of all that money went to the Hazard deal.

The_fan know your information before posting stupid threads like this. Wenger had to sell RvP, Nasri, and Fabregas because they wanted to leave. From that we got at least 50-80 million pounds. Of that we bought Polodski, Giroud, and Carzorla which I believe came close to 30-35 million pounds. We still have more money to spend that won't be coming out of Kroenke's wallet. If he's cheap is really the question, considering he's a business man, his goal is to make the most money from spending the littlest. But Avs are totally different because we are/were rebuilding. With Arsenal we have another own which majority of the Gunner fans are mad at.