HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Roman Cervenka Inquiry (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1251779)

BigTree92 08-26-2012 06:14 PM

Roman Cervenka Inquiry

So when it was announced the flames signed Roman Cervenka earlier this summer I was intrigued to have the KHL all-star join the team. I had heard that he was a top KHL scorer from the Czech Republic and didn't really look into him all that much until now. I read an article on him from the Flames website and looked up his stats. The article mentions he was playing with Jagr on the first line for Omsk Avangard. That season he posted 31 goals and 61 points in 51 games, pretty good. But last season when Jagr moved back to the NHL he dropped to 23 goals and 39 points.

Should we see this as concerning? Could he have been inflated and overrated by playing alongside an NHL legend? What I found most concerning is the drop-off in his assists from 30 to 16, could his 2010-11 numbers have been inflated by secondary assists picked up from playing with Jagr? Just something to think about.

TheHudlinator 08-26-2012 06:21 PM

He had a slow regular season but from what I have read it is more due to a combination of him having bad luck this year and he no longer had another offensive threat with him so he was always the target in the defensive zone by the defense. I think he will be fine as he should be playing with Glencross and Hudler who are atleast equal in offensive talent. He also stepped up his game in the playoffs putting up 21 points in 20 games I have a few worries about him but none of them have to do with his offense.

Also change the name I thought it said Cervenka inquire and was like ****.

tyflames 08-26-2012 06:21 PM

If he is put with good linemates, he could excell. And if he doesn't it's not like we are losing a lot. Low risk, high reward situation.

BigTree92 08-26-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 53876931)
He had a slow regular season but from what I have read it is more due to a combination of him having bad luck this year and he no longer had another offensive threat with him so he was always the target in the defensive zone by the defense. I think he will be fine as he should be playing with Glencross and Hudler who are atleast equal in offensive talent. He also stepped up his game in the playoffs putting up 21 points in 20 games I have a few worries about him but none of them have to do with his offense.

Also change the name I thought it said Cervenka inquire and was like ****.

My only concern with that is if he can't produce against a KHL defense as a primary target how will he translate into the NHL where the defense is a lot faster/more physical/more talented?

Edit - assuming he stays in the top 6 he will likely be playing against top 4 NHL defenders. I don't have anything to back this up but I am assuming that even 3rd line NHL dmen are more or similarly talented to top KHL defenders.

I'm only wondering because some people have projected him to get 50 points with his first season with the flames, but I don't see how that can happen when he was on a similar pace in a less talented league.

thrillhouse99 08-26-2012 06:30 PM

I think the concern should have less to do with his stats and more to do with the fact that he is a total crapshoot. Alexei morozov has arguably been the best player in the league over there but in the NHL really wasn't much more than a good 2nd liner. Radulov was less impressive in his return than many expected.

Cervenka could put up anywhere from 30 to 80 points next year. He might be great, he might not be.

InfinityIggy 08-26-2012 06:33 PM

I read this as "Roman Cervenka Injury" the first 2 times, just about had a heart attack.

BigTree92 08-26-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 (Post 53877109)
I think the concern should have less to do with his stats and more to do with the fact that he is a total crapshoot. Alexei morozov has arguably been the best player in the league over there but in the NHL really wasn't much more than a good 2nd liner. Radulov was less impressive in his return than many expected.

Cervenka could put up anywhere from 30 to 80 points next year. He might be great, he might not be.

I totally agree. I find it concerning that we seem to have him slated to be our number 2 center when he isn't a sure thing. If Cammy doesn't pan out on the top line and Cervenka doesn't adjust to the NHL well we are screwed down the middle.

Johnny Hoxville 08-26-2012 06:54 PM

When Cervenka played with a good NHL talent like Jagr, he produced. Hudler has high end skill and is a fellow countryman, so I think this is all very encouraging. No one know how he will do until the games are played, however I am optimisitic about him.

HighLifeMan 08-26-2012 07:10 PM

You have to put his numbers this season into context.

The second leading scorer on the team had 27 points.
Alexander Frolov only had 24 points after being one season removed from the NHL. This is a player that is just two seasons removed from a 50+ point season in the best league on earth and is still in the prime of his career (just 29 years old).

I dont think leading the KHL in playoff scoring and bringing your team to within one win of the championship is disappointing in any way.

You say that playing with Jagr may have helped his point production? I say of course it would. Good players make each other better.

Roman Cervenka has lead his team in scoring for two years straight by 10+ points. Considering the former and active NHL talent that surrounded him that is very impressive in itself.

KiwiFlamesFan 08-26-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 53877143)
I read this as "Roman Cervenka Injury" the first 2 times, just about had a heart attack.

Haha same here! Glad it was an inquiry not an injury lol

Flames34 08-26-2012 10:31 PM

All we can do is watch and waitmand see what happens. I think he will do fine playing with huds. The KHL isnt exactly a league of pushovers either.

Flames92 08-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 53877143)

I hate pretty much the same reaction lmao

Guido Sarducci 08-28-2012 11:01 AM

People who like the signing tend to say something along the lines of "low risk, possible high reward". That would be true if the Flames kept Jokinen. I think the Cervenka signing was the final nail in the coffin for Oli. Getting rid of a guy who you know will get 60 points so you can bring in a guy who you hope can get 60 points is a huge risk.

tmurfin 08-28-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci (Post 53917495)
People who like the signing tend to say something along the lines of "low risk, possible high reward". That would be true if the Flames kept Jokinen. I think the Cervenka signing was the final nail in the coffin for Oli. Getting rid of a guy who you know will get 60 points so you can bring in a guy who you hope can get 60 points is a huge risk.

Something had to give, can't keep bringing the exact lineup back year after year. Olli was a main piece of the team, and Feaster made it clear that there would be somewhat of a shakeup, Olli leaving goes with that.

Skobel24 08-28-2012 02:05 PM

Our center depth scares the crap out of me. If Cervenka doesn't pan out, we're going to be in trouble.

InfinityIggy 08-28-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel24 (Post 53922103)
Our center depth scares the crap out of me. If Cervenka doesn't pan out, we're going to be in trouble.

We flat out will miss the playoffs if he doesn't pan.

Unless Cammy proves to be a #1C (he isn't)

Or Bartschi goes wild and scored 70 points.

nogger 08-28-2012 03:15 PM

Let's just have a bad year and draft Monohan

Problem solved

YMCMBYOLO 08-28-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 53924113)

Problem solved

I'd rather draft Barkov.

Backlund 08-28-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 53924113)

Problem solved

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamesrule (Post 53926843)
I'd rather draft Barkov.

I'd be happy with either one.

nogger 08-28-2012 05:16 PM

Maybe we'll go off the board and draft Max Domi with our top 5 pick

TheHudlinator 08-28-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci (Post 53917495)

It is a risk but it isn't as big since we have Stajan who has put 2 50+ points seasons and has shown that he can put up the same pace when given the chance. The real risk is in Cammy as if he fails as well as Cervenka than we are boned.

MarkGio 08-28-2012 07:53 PM

I'm actually pretty psyched to see Cervenka play. It will speak volumes about our scouts to go ahead and pick this guy over Jokinen. Either they need to be fired, or they need to be promoted after this!

AfricanHerbsman 08-30-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTree92 (Post 53876827)
So when it was announced the flames signed Roman Cervenka earlier this summer I was intrigued to have the KHL all-star join the team. I had heard that he was a top KHL scorer from the Czech Republic and didn't really look into him all that much until now. I read an article on him from the Flames website and looked up his stats. The article mentions he was playing with Jagr on the first line for Omsk Avangard. That season he posted 31 goals and 61 points in 51 games, pretty good. But last season when Jagr moved back to the NHL he dropped to 23 goals and 39 points.

Should we see this as concerning? Could he have been inflated and overrated by playing alongside an NHL legend? What I found most concerning is the drop-off in his assists from 30 to 16, could his 2010-11 numbers have been inflated by secondary assists picked up from playing with Jagr? Just something to think about.

the competition will be harder, but now hes going to be with NHL legend Jarome Iginla. so im not to worried about it. plus he has some sweet new coaches to work with woot!

AfricanHerbsman 08-30-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogger (Post 53927359)
Maybe we'll go off the board and draft Max Domi with our top 5 pick

why?

Volica 08-30-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman (Post 53982033)
why?

I believe, that was a joke.