HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Detroit eyeing Lindgren. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12518)

Peter 09-19-2003 07:26 AM

Detroit eyeing Lindgren.

Did anyone else catch the article (paragraph?) in the Detroit Free Press about the Red Wings and their 'center' problem???

The writer, whose name escapes me, said in one line that the Wings would be "scanning the waiver wire" looking for a 3rd or 4th line center and suggested that with "the Canucks plethora of centermen" and "their difficulties in protecting them all" Lindgren may be available and Holland would be willing to snap him up.

Couple of points:

1) Canucks, IMO, do not have a plethora of centermen but I suppose if we do sign Keane we would have to either expose him or Lindgren or maybe both???

2) I don't know if Holland has expressed this publically or this is just the well-imagined desires of this particular sports writer.

3) I went back to their web-site but couldn't locate the article. It was a few days ago.

Thanks.

C'nuckleHead 09-19-2003 07:34 AM

Since Keane was available all summer, exposing him to the draft wouldn't be a risk.

ginner classic 09-19-2003 07:38 AM

It is very simple....Slegr and May must be exposed. If May is taken we sign Keane, if Slegr is taken we have more money for another forward.

Arvedson should probably be protected. Lindgren should be next in line after Langdon, Keane if signed, May, and Slegr.

Peter Griffin 09-19-2003 07:41 AM

Langdon should be exposed ahead of May, Lindgren etc. Burke has stated that Martin Grenier can and will play in some NHL games this year and he is more than capable of filling in for Langdon's role. Langdon will be exposed ahead of a lot of the Canucks regular players.

canucksfan 09-19-2003 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginner
It is very simple....Slegr and May must be exposed. If May is taken we sign Keane, if Slegr is taken we have more money for another forward.

Arvedson should probably be protected. Lindgren should be next in line after Langdon, Keane if signed, May, and Slegr.

The problem with leaving May unprotected is if he is taken who is our enforcer. We can't dress Langdon every night.

Arvedson will be protected

Ironchef Chris Wok* 09-19-2003 07:45 AM

Slegr and Langdon should not be protected. Lindgren and May should be.

I hightly doubt anybody will take Langdon, every team has a young prospect that can fight. Slegr will probably be taken, but I think we can do without him. He is a decent player, but I think 800K is too much.

And Keane should not be protected either.

PigPen 09-19-2003 07:57 AM

I doubt Holland wants Lindgren. He doesn't address the center need the wings' have. They need somebody who is about 6'2" and gritty. A dave Scatchard/Jeff Halpern type. Not Lindgren.

ginner classic 09-19-2003 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigPen
I doubt Holland wants Lindgren. He doesn't address the center need the wings' have. They need somebody who is about 6'2" and gritty. A dave Scatchard/Jeff Halpern type. Not Lindgren.

Yeah I think we were referring to the waiver wire :rolleyes:

Every team could use Dave Scatchard and a lot would like Halpern.

Tom.H 09-19-2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

I hightly doubt anybody will take Langdon, every team has a young prospect that can fight. Slegr will probably be taken, but I think we can do without him. He is a decent player, but I think 800K is too much.

If Slegr is taken who would we get to replace him? I don't think we can expect any of our prospects to replace him at this point.

monster_bertuzzi 09-19-2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigPen

Lindgren is 6'3 and a great defensive forward, why wouldnt the Wings want him?

Peter 09-19-2003 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

I highly doubt Slegr will be left exposed for these reasons: there are other teams that wanted him this summer, his contract is very affordable, many teams are looking for defensive depth.

May won't be exposed because Burke crowed all summer that the May signing was a big signing for the Canucks.

Langdon will be exposed. No doubt there.
Baumgartner will be exposed.
Eakins will be exposed.
Moss will be exposed.
Keane should be exposed even if they sign him.

The question is, what is our waiver problems going into the start of the season? Does Mogzis have to be protected? If so you can bet that the Canucks will protect one less foward rat her than lose him on defence. And that guy would probably be Lindgren.

galiano 09-19-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Why does May have to be exposed ??

ginner classic 09-19-2003 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiano
Why does May have to be exposed ??

Pardon? Do you mean why is he the best choice or why would he need to be? I am not getting your question. I would choose to expose hiim because I do no think he will be selected by another team and if he is....so what. Big contract for a fourth liner. I am sure he, Lindgren, Langdon, and Baumer will all be available...I personally would add Slegr to that list.

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read my original post....did not mean it that way. I meant to say that I would choose to expose them.

Rageinthecage 09-19-2003 09:17 AM

Quote:

Langdon is the absolute last player that should be protected. No one needs to pick an enforcer off waivers and give up one of their own players to take him. He'll barely suit up for 30 games for the Canucks. And you want to expose May and Slegr before him?

The anti-May attitude is puzzling. What we need is a guy who can skate, hit, and forecheck along with the odd fight. May's perfect for this role, and obviously is not expected to put up points, but can be solid defensively and receive some pk time. What use is Langdon (when dressed) if all he can do is drop the gloves. I didn't realize this was the WHA circa mid 70's here. May was hurt in the playoffs apparently, if his dismal performance is swaying the opinions on the guy. Also, the "May is a poor replacement for Klatt" comments are completely irrelevant. Arvedson is our replacement for Klatt. May is the answer to this so-called "grit" issue everyone complains about. Keep in mind May barely played any games for the Canucks last year where he was 100% healthy. Give the guy a chance. Keane based on his performance on a thin 4th line in Denver last season is not an upgrade. I'd like Keane signed as well, but only as the 13th forward.

ginner classic 09-19-2003 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rageinthecage
Langdon is the absolute last player that should be protected. No one needs to pick an enforcer off waivers and give up one of their own players to take him. He'll barely suit up for 30 games for the Canucks. And you want to expose May and Slegr before him?

The anti-May attitude is puzzling. What we need is a guy who can skate, hit, and forecheck along with the odd fight. May's perfect for this role, and obviously is not expected to put up points, but can be solid defensively and receive some pk time. What use is Langdon (when dressed) if all he can do is drop the gloves. I didn't realize this was the WHA circa mid 70's here. May was hurt in the playoffs apparently, if his dismal performance is swaying the opinions on the guy. Also, the "May is a poor replacement for Klatt" comments are completely irrelevant. Arvedson is our replacement for Klatt. May is the answer to this so-called "grit" issue everyone complains about. Keep in mind May barely played any games for the Canucks last year where he was 100% healthy. Give the guy a chance. Keane based on his performance on a thin 4th line in Denver last season is not an upgrade. I'd like Keane signed as well, but only as the 13th forward.

What I meant by that list of players is that I would expose Langdon, then Lindgren, Slegr, May, Baumer etc. in that order. I was not very clear in my post. Langdon is #1 exposure material.

Peter Griffin 09-19-2003 09:40 AM

Quote:

What I meant by that list of players is that I would expose Langdon, then Lindgren, Slegr, May, Baumer etc. in that order. I was not very clear in my post. Langdon is #1 exposure material.

Then how come you said that May and Slegr must be exposed? :confused:

orcatown 09-19-2003 10:31 AM

Agree with mecca. Doubt Langdon gets picked up and Lindgren's health concerns make him doubtful as well. They should get through. We know that Slegr won't and it's almost assured May won't. Our best gamble is Lindgren and May. Play of Kesler suggests he may be a decent replacement for Lindgren.

Also you have to recognize someone has to be dropped if some one picked up off waivers. Detroit will have to expose someone if they pick up Lindgren. Doubtful they can without losing someone equal to Lindgren.

SedinFan* 09-19-2003 10:39 AM

Expose Langdon, Baumgartner, Keane(if signed), Moss...

orcatown 09-19-2003 10:44 AM

Everyone who they don't protect, unless they have some type of exception, is automatically exposed.

maruk14 09-19-2003 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottuzzi
Expose Langdon, Baumgartner, Keane(if signed), Moss...

Agreed on your list. No way Slegr is exposed before Baumgartner, and I doubt they expose either May or Lindgren so they can keep Langdon instead.

Better to sign Keane before the waiver draft if they intend too (I hope they don't though) because if they wait until after they would have to expose someone from their 25 man roster to make room for Keane. If they want him bad enough he will make it through waivers easier at the waiver draft than if they sign him (he has already stated he doesn't want to go to the minors) and have to expose a younger player to clear a roster spot.

Bottom line, don't sign Keane. We have younger, better players to fill the same role. If we are hurting that bad in the leadership dept we have bigger issues than signing Mike Keane.

cyrisweb 09-19-2003 01:58 PM

I have a feeling Langdon will be protected.

If Keane makes the team Ruutu will be exposed.. and if he's picked up by another team then no big deal we have someone who can replace him as the 13th forward.

cyrisweb 09-19-2003 02:09 PM

Ruutu is expendable.. we have the youth to replace him.. and if Keane is signed it's because he's still got some play in him. He won't spend the entire season on the bench.

Burke's Evil Spirit 09-19-2003 02:15 PM

May and Slegr should be exposed.

Langdon, if exposed, will probably find a taker. Decent enforcer, cheap contract, good character.

May and Slegr just signed UFA deals...if anybody else had wanted them, they would have inquired over the summer.

Besides, May is useless, and him leaving opens up a spot for a youngster. Veteran help is good, up to a point.

Waveburner 09-19-2003 02:26 PM

This has been adressed in several other threads...
Players to be exposed:

Tyler Moss
Mats Lindgren
Darren Langdon
Tyler Bouck
Pat Kavanaugh
Ryan Ready
Zenith Komarniski
Nolan Baumgartner
Johan Davidsson
Dallas Eakins
Chris Neilsen
Jaroslav Obsut
Justin Morrison?
Martin Grenier?
Mike Keane (if signed)

Really the only player there I can see being taken is Tyler Bouck. Maybe Grenier if he is eligible. Even then I highly doubt it. Waivers are pretty much a non-issue.

NFITO 09-19-2003 02:29 PM

How many threads is that now, discussing which players will be exposed in the waiver draft??

No way is the team going to protect Langdon over Ruutu or May or Slegr!!

we will likely protect 11 forwards and 7 dmen... so that would leave Lindgren (and Bouck) available, with May and Ruutu protected... if they decide not to protect Slegr (I don't see it though) then Lindgren gets protected.

This team is trying to contend... you don't leave Ruutu unprotected thinking that Bouck will step up... and you don't risk losing a guy like May either, when you're trying to contend for the Cup.