HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Malkin close to KHL deal (in case of lockout) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1252117)

Bobby G 08-27-2012 03:47 PM

Malkin close to KHL deal (in case of lockout)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...9625--nhl.html

"Reports out of Russia" say Evgeni Malkin has signed with Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Kontinental Hockey League. Is this simply the fact they hold his rights or has he agreed to jump if there's an NHL lockout? [Post-Gazette; UPDATE: "Sport-Express, a Russian newspaper, reported that Malkin would play for CSKA, which is based in Moscow, if the NHL doesn't work out a new collective bargaining agreement before the current one expires Sept. 15. J.P. Barry, Malkin's agent, confirmed that Malkin has had discussions with Magnitogorsk and unspecified teams in Moscow, but said nothing has been finalized." PG]

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ts-say-650729/

Reports out of Russia say that Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has agreed to a contract to play for Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Kontinental Hockey League if the start of the 2012-13 NHL season is delayed by a lockout.

ronnyweed 08-27-2012 03:51 PM

delayed? or the season is actually cancelled?

I can't see the penguins being tooo thrilled if he goes there, plays 3 games, gets hurt, and then the NHL season resumes the next week

kurt 08-27-2012 03:51 PM

For the duration of the season, even if the NHL resumes operations with a shortened season?

InfinityIggy 08-27-2012 03:53 PM

It begins.

Kitten Mittons 08-27-2012 03:54 PM

It would be dumb not to have an opt-out clause. Every NBA player had it (or I think someone didn't and just left without the money).

Ozamataz Buckshank 08-27-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 53898141)
It would be dumb not to have an opt-out clause. Every NBA player had it (or I think someone didn't and just left without the money).

I think players in the Chinese league didn't have the opt out clauses?

derriko 08-27-2012 03:58 PM

Yea I remember I think it wa JR Smith who played in China, and the team tried to hold him, but he just picked up and left. I'm not sure there was any punishment for doing that, but he's probably banned from the league haha.

Fleury14 08-27-2012 04:03 PM

I figured the KHL would avoid any contracts with NHL-out clauses this lockout, or maybe they'll make exceptions for the elite stars.

Turrican* 08-27-2012 04:07 PM

The lockout could make millions for the KHL!

Kershaw 08-27-2012 04:08 PM

Hopefully there is no out clause and the season resumes. :naughty:

Kitten Mittons 08-27-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derriko (Post 53898273)
Yea I remember I think it wa JR Smith who played in China, and the team tried to hold him, but he just picked up and left. I'm not sure there was any punishment for doing that, but he's probably banned from the league haha.

I think they didn't pay him in full because he kept skipping practices.

SIDGENO8771 08-27-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 53898505)
Hopefully there is no out clause and the season resumes. :naughty:

Let's hope Richards and Nash go to a Swiss league and it has no out clause, and Gaborik can do the same in Slovakia when he is healthy and of course Lundquist.

deytookerjaabs 08-27-2012 04:15 PM

Well, hopefully this can be seen as some type of player leverage sending a message to the owners that if the NHL isn't stable any more the foreign talent is willing to head home. I know this is not anything concrete but some type message needs to be sent on some level.

ColePens 08-27-2012 04:15 PM

I don't know if we are going to be taking on these threads. Almost every player SHOULD have a back up plan. But this doesn't necessarily affect anything as it would be due to a lock out.

Kitten Mittons 08-27-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 53898693)
I don't know if we are going to be taking on these threads. Almost every player SHOULD have a back up plan. But this doesn't necessarily affect anything as it would be due to a lock out.

What if we have one giant thread for all the back-up signings?

Kershaw 08-27-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 (Post 53898603)
Let's hope Richards and Nash go to a Swiss league and it has no out clause, and Gaborik can do the same in Slovakia when he is healthy and of course Lundquist.

Keep hoping lol. I doubt Swiss league has no out clause. Not sure about Slovakia. Henrik definitely won't be going to Sweden unless there is a guaranteed lock out.

ColePens 08-27-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 53898773)
What if we have one giant thread for all the back-up signings?

I like that idea.

Kloparren 08-27-2012 04:21 PM

What happens if there is no out clause and the player just leaves? Are there legal ramifications? He's already been paid most of his wages I'm guessing cos they're weekly or monthly. What's the worst that's gonna happen to him, he's gonna get banned from the league?

CBJBrassard16 08-27-2012 04:23 PM

He will sign weekly contracts so that when the NHL is back he can just pack up and leave at the end of the week.

CBJBrassard16 08-27-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietCompany (Post 53898847)
What happens if there is no out clause and the player just leaves? Are there legal ramifications? He's already been paid most of his wages I'm guessing cos they're weekly or monthly. What's the worst that's gonna happen to him, he's gonna get banned from the league?

I think it would violate the KHL-NHL agreement and the 2nd contract he signed would be voided by the IIHF.

hockeyfreak7 08-27-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnyweed (Post 53898077)
delayed? or the season is actually cancelled?

I can't see the penguins being tooo thrilled if he goes there, plays 3 games, gets hurt, and then the NHL season resumes the next week

I would think the Pens (and every other team for that matter) would give up the right to be angered if their stars get injured in other leagues by locking the players out.

The players have every right to find other work in the event of a lockout.

Cruel11 08-27-2012 04:33 PM

Not surprising, players want to continue to play and get paid. Sounds like Kopitar will play in Sweden with his bro if there is a lockout.

Wingsfan2965* 08-27-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreator (Post 53898463)
The lockout could make millions for the KHL!

Until the lockout ends, everybody comes back to the NHL, and the KHL sucks again.

spOiler 08-27-2012 05:05 PM

To the people saying the lockout will help the KHL it will help the NHL owners as well if there is no season the 18 teams that lost money last year will break even.... that is where we stand the majority of the owners are better off if the season never starts and that needs to be fixed...

CaptPantalones 08-27-2012 05:06 PM

Smart for him. keeps him in shape until the season starts after Thanksgiving