HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Schedule question from worried UK fan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1252377)

English Ranger 08-28-2012 09:19 AM

Schedule question from worried UK fan

Hello from the currently sunny UK.

I have planned a trip over to NYC to see the Rangers play St Louis, Tampa and Montreal in December and then away to Ottawa.

Now a little worried about the prospect of the schedule being messed up.

Just wondering what the chances are of those fixtures not taking place. Here in the UK disputes over deals etc are such an alien concept I have not got the foggiest as to how serious the risk is.

Helping in puting my mind at rest would be appreciated!

iamitter 08-28-2012 09:27 AM

Nobody can really tell you the answer to that. The "latest" most people think it could last here is until January because of the Winter Classic, but then you have to take into account 24/7 etc.
Bottom line - only Bettman and Fehr know.

English Ranger 08-28-2012 09:34 AM

If there is a delay to the start, will it mean the entire schedule will be re-drawn? Or will it just start from the next scheduled game?

Abooch68 08-28-2012 09:41 AM

Schedule will/already is redone to prepare for a lockout.

English Ranger 08-28-2012 09:57 AM

Cheers.

When is the deadline for the current schedule to be made void / a lock-out to be announced?

The whole concept of this is madness to UK sports fans. Our seasons start on the same weekend every year, unless there is something like a World Cup, in which case the players might get an extra week off.

I cannot imagine the outrage if this happened in the Premier League soccer over here.

SixGoalieSystem 08-28-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Ranger (Post 53915233)

The whole concept of this is madness to UK sports fans. Our seasons start on the same weekend every year, unless there is something like a World Cup, in which case the players might get an extra week off.

I cannot imagine the outrage if this happened in the Premier League soccer over here.

Could you imagine the excitement if a hard salary cap and draft system led to teams like Swansea and Everton being able to fight for the premiership title? What makes the PL pretty unintersting to me is the way you always have the same six clubs battling it out for the top four.

That aside, I hope you enjoy your trip and get to watch all your games.

English Ranger 08-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubkov21 (Post 53915383)
Could you imagine the excitement if a hard salary cap and draft system led to teams like Swansea and Everton being able to fight for the premiership title? What makes the PL pretty unintersting to me is the way you always have the same six clubs battling it out for the top four.

That aside, I hope you enjoy your trip and get to watch all your games.

I would actually love a salary cap and draft system in the UK. The team I follow, Brighton & Hove Albion, play in the second tier of English soccer and the chances of us buidling a team to compete with the likes of Manchester United, City and Chelsea is pretty much nil.

That said, even with those advances in place, I imagine the season would still start at the same time.

NYRFAN218 08-28-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Ranger (Post 53915233)
Cheers.

When is the deadline for the current schedule to be made void / a lock-out to be announced?

Technically there is a lockout starting September 15th if no deal is reached but the regular season schedule could be the same if an agreement is reached in the 7-10 days after the expiration. They will make an announcement if games are cancelled and up until what point. Once games are cancelled, the entire schedule has to be redone.

Brooklyn Ranger 08-28-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abooch68 (Post 53914965)

Last time there was a lockout that cut the season short in 1994-5, there was a new schedule drawn up that had no out of conference games. The only inter-conference games were during the Stanley Cup finals.

If there are a significant number of games cancelled, I can't image that the schedule won't be radially changed. Teams are not going to lose dates with other teams in their division/conference in order to play an inter-conference game. The Rangers are not going to play some meaningless game with Calgary in Feb if the season doesn't start until the Winter Classic

Gatorade* 08-28-2012 08:00 PM

There will be no games in December. Bank on it.

Kane One 08-28-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abooch68 (Post 53914965)

How is that possible? They don't know when the lockout will be over, so how do they know how many games they can squeeze in?

A new schedule will be made once the lockout ends.

Hockey Team 08-28-2012 10:24 PM

If I were you I wouldn't waste time making any plans right now.

Wait until we find out that the new CBA's signed.

mike14 08-29-2012 01:06 AM

Take it from someone who didn't think both sides were dumb enough to go to a lockout last time: don't make any plans regarding travel for NHL hockey until everything is signed and announced :cry:

English Ranger 08-29-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike14 (Post 53937499)
Take it from someone who didn't think both sides were dumb enough to go to a lockout last time: don't make any plans regarding travel for NHL hockey until everything is signed and announced :cry:

Oh well. Looking forward to a week in NY and two days in Ottawa without any hockey then.

Realize 08-29-2012 06:12 AM

I think NYC will be interesting enough - even withoug hockey - but - my dream is to come to NYC in one of the next years (in 2014 I really hope) and to watch hockey games and discover the city ;)

Wishing you much fun @ English Ranger

RangerBoy 08-29-2012 06:53 AM

If there a 2 month lockout,there will probably be a new schedule. One team isn't going to plan more home games than road games. There was a 48 game season in 1995. Only conference games. That season began in late January. The NBA had a 66 game season which started on Christmas Day. 66 games in 130 days. The NHL can't do that. NBA teams played games on 3 straight nights. NHL can't do that.

z1co80 08-29-2012 09:49 PM

This whole lockout carry on is why i haven't been on the boards much. I just find it ridiculous, It's always the fans who lose out. I don't want to read about it so i will just wait for the news of when hockey will start.

As the OP suggested this whole thing wouldn't happen in the UK, I think there would be quite the uproar if things came as close as what they are with the NHL.

NYRFAN218 08-29-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Ranger (Post 53940023)
Oh well. Looking forward to a week in NY and two days in Ottawa without any hockey then.

You could always go to some Knicks/Nets/Jets/Giants games depending on who's home that week to replace hockey. Not the same especially if you don't like football or basketball but it fills the sports void on the trip.

Propane Nightmares 08-30-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z1co80 (Post 53959317)
As the OP suggested this whole thing wouldn't happen in the UK, I think there would be quite the uproar if things came as close as what they are with the NHL.

Unions here learnt their lesson the hard way not to mess with owners/government

dowenmr 08-30-2012 09:11 PM

I wouldn't expect much to happen before September 15 once the lockout kicks in is when the two sides will really start to get down to business and actually consider getting a deal done

the fife flyer 08-31-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z1co80 (Post 53959317)
This whole lockout carry on is why i haven't been on the boards much. I just find it ridiculous, It's always the fans who lose out. I don't want to read about it so i will just wait for the news of when hockey will start.

I doubt the players would strike here for their 200-600 dollars a week mate :D

Like your avatar......when are you doing mine?;)

Propane Nightmares 08-31-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the fife flyer (Post 53994879)

I was going to say wut, football players make hundreds of thousands a week. Then I realised; you're talking about the EIHL :laugh:

Feel free to join the Hockey in Great Britain thread in the Western Europe section of the boards

the fife flyer 08-31-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Problems (Post 53998049)
I was going to say wut, football players make hundreds of thousands a week. Then I realised; you're talking about the EIHL :laugh:

Feel free to join the Hockey in Great Britain thread in the Western Europe section of the boards

Cheers buddy.

I`ll pop over now and have a look.

z1co80 08-31-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the fife flyer (Post 53994879)

Zenith did it for me mate.

Just ask in this thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...625&highlight=