HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245)
-   -   Science Subforum? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1252769)

Unaffiliated 08-29-2012 01:40 AM

Science Subforum?

This was discussed in the alien invasion thread. Seems like a decent idea to me!

What do you guys think?

edit: this is just to see if people like the idea, not a request. requests should be done through the "Contact Us" link afaik

saskriders 08-29-2012 01:42 AM

Sounds like a good idea

guest1467 08-29-2012 01:52 AM

I support it, could be a place where intellectual discussion is more common.

MJB Devils23* 08-29-2012 01:58 AM

I like science. Let's do it!

JMcLeaf 08-29-2012 01:58 AM

I like the idea

Juzmo 08-29-2012 02:00 AM

I like the idea. :)

Zaide 08-29-2012 02:01 AM

Since I proposed it (but I saw someone else a few weeks ago propose it too), I'm all for it. Could be a place to have some serious discussion without all of the funny, non-serious stuff from the lounge. :laugh:

Bengui 08-29-2012 02:23 AM

Yeah would be neat

FrizzleFry22 08-29-2012 03:26 AM

Nerds

count me in

PyrettaBlaze 08-29-2012 03:31 AM

Great idea. It'd be nice to finally have a place for serious discussions without having the lounge-tards constantly ruining everything.

Unaffiliated 08-29-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrizzleFry22 (Post 53939571)
Nerds

count me in

most famousest xkcd comic

daveskirtun 08-29-2012 03:33 AM

I wholeheartedly concur with this clinquant motion. Quite.

BenchBrawl 08-29-2012 03:37 AM

yes , there should be a section where you don't expect to have 8 bad and none-serious one-liners out of 10 answers when you bring a serious subject.

I also hope religion stays out of this

SniperHF 08-29-2012 03:41 AM

Why not make a dedicated thread and see if its active enough? Then you'll show the PTB that you should have a whole forum :nod:

BenchBrawl 08-29-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperHF (Post 53939655)
Why not make a dedicated thread and see if its active enough? Then you'll show the PTB that you should have a whole forum :nod:

because the thread will be buried quick enough by all the useless threads , and the thread in question will also be invaded by morons hanging around in the lounge waiting for the next moronic thread to post in

By having a section , you'll really have to be interested in the stuff to enter it and be a regular member.The regular members are what forms the spirit of any section , so if a moron happens to come in the section , he'll be ignored and won't have his 2 second of fame like when he is being a moron with other morons.This is similar to talking hockey history on the main NHL section or in the History of Hockey section.It's more agreable to discuss hockey history with serious people with knowledge

Of course ''this is just a message board'' , so nobody should take it THAT seriously , but since a lot of us comes here every single day and might spent an hour or more navigating through the site , why not being able to discuss more interesting matters?

SniperHF 08-29-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchBrawl (Post 53939713)
because the thread will be buried quick enough by all the useless threads , and the thread in question will also be invaded by morons hanging around in the lounge waiting for the next moronic thread to post in

By having a section , you'll really have to be interested in the stuff to enter it and be a regular member.The regular members are what forms the spirit of any section , so if a moron happens to come in the section , he'll be ignored and won't have his 2 second of fame like when he is being a moron with other morons.This is similar to talking hockey history on the main NHL section or in the History of Hockey section.It's more agreable to discuss hockey history with serious people with knowledge

Of course ''this is just a message board'' , so nobody should take it THAT seriously , but since a lot of us comes here every single day and might spent an hour or more navigating through the site , why not being able to discuss more interesting matters?

Right, but I'm saying that if the new sub forum were to be busy enough to be warranted, such a thread would not get buried.

Can't stop the invasions, but maybe put it in the GE? I don't think you'll get nearly the amount of them in there. And I'd say the tech topic is closer to science than the average lounge topic anyway :laugh:

It doesn't make sense to have a sub forum for 10 guys who wanna talk about science.

Francesa 08-29-2012 06:06 AM

If you want real science talk without Lounge interference, head on over to the political forum. That's where all the serious talk is.

Francesa 08-29-2012 06:15 AM

Also, even though the Lounge has a habit of forcefully inserting memes and humor into "serious" threads, they seem to control themselves when it comes to scientific topics. At this point, I don't think there is a need for a science subforum, especially when you look at how responsible posters act in the Mars and Hurricane thread.

Krishna 08-29-2012 06:23 AM

I posted about this on the sponsor board.. Mods liked the idea and said they will 'look into it'

kingsholygrail 08-29-2012 07:53 AM

Alien invasion invokes a desire for a science forum?

One of these things is not like the other.

xX Hot Fuss 08-29-2012 08:35 AM

I'd love a Science sub section on HF. I agree that it can't just be a single Lounge thread. It's not that it would be ruined by "juzmo" posts and Dolan memes, it's that it would be too hard to keep properly organized.

Why have "the Rink"? I mean, can't we just have a "Hockey Equipment" thread instead?

There's simply too much to discuss. Science is too broad a subject to be crammed into one thread.

As an Engineering major whose next 3 years will be nothing but science and math classes, I'd LOVE a Science board.

Orr123 08-29-2012 08:36 AM

I'm a total science nerd, I support!

ThaDevilGirl 08-29-2012 08:38 AM

I like this idea.

The Saw Is the Law 08-29-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 53941085)
As an Engineering major whose next 3 years will be nothing but science and math classes, I'd LOVE a Science board.

This. But most likely more than 3 years.

Stories 08-29-2012 09:19 AM

Approve.