HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Working out an how it relates to games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1252823)

t2bstryker 08-29-2012 08:50 AM

Working out an how it relates to games

Iv been working out four days a week all summer, now that seasons starting what's a game length to separate the workout an games?

Stickchecked 08-30-2012 01:07 PM

Depends on the workouts that you do.

My suggestion: Make sure your lower body (especially groin) is well rested before games. You do not want to end up with any kind of groin injury.

TUCKER 06 08-30-2012 02:55 PM

Definitely try to schedule your work-out routines around game days.

I find that working out lowerbody/leg muscles 2 days before game day really gives me the best results. I work them out real hard with squats and lunges and some weight exercises and make them completely gassed. Then I have a full day of recovery (with maybe some light upper body work) and get rested up for game day next day.

Unfortunately this season My game days are going to be Thurs, Sat and Sun. So I will have to tailor my routine to mon, tues, wed and leave Friday for rest.

Just don't forget to schedule those recovery days, your body will certainly need the rest period.

Gino 14 08-30-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 (Post 53976225)
Just don't forget to schedule those recovery days, your body will certainly need the rest period.

Good point and one that is too often overlooked.

Guffaw 09-03-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickchecked (Post 53973433)
Depends on the workouts that you do.

My suggestion: Make sure your lower body (especially groin) is well rested before games. You do not want to end up with any kind of groin injury.

Listen to this guy. I've played with sore/not fully recovered adductors(groin) after leg workouts twice in the last year and pulled my groin both times. Never again.

I find that scheduling leg workouts in season is extremely difficult. I'm 39 and have always needed a long time to recover from leg workouts. It's 4 days for me which means I usually train legs the morning after a game to give me maximum recovery time.

You can also cut back on the volume/intensity of your workouts if you don't have much time between games.

Stickchecked 09-03-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffaw (Post 54061205)
I find that scheduling leg workouts in season is extremely difficult. I'm 39 and have always needed a long time to recover from leg workouts. It's 4 days for me which means I usually train legs the morning after a game to give me maximum recovery time.

Totally agree with this. It can be near impossible if you've got a busy sports schedule.

I was a bit naive coming from a bike racing background, where you can basically hammer yourself day after day and only worry about cardio and energy recovery. No one EVER injures a muscle on a bike, it just doesn't happen, regardless of the effort. You just get worn down, which compels you to take time off.

With hockey, if you're worn down / not recovered, you will eventually injure something.

I'm dealing with a recurring groin issue right now and it sucks beyond words.