HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vorobiev interview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=125347)

MOGiLNY 01-22-2005 06:10 PM

Vorobiev interview

I found it at www.hclada.ru and translated it the best I could:

http://www.hclada.ru/interview/?id=05-01-20

What was your experience like at the past tournament (WJC)?

It has mostly been good, although the 6:1 loss doesn't help.. But finishing 2nd isn't bad, especially compared to the previous year where our team finished just 5th..

Have you played for team Russia at the WJC before?

No, I have never played at the WJC before.

Dima, tell us, what did the head coach, Gersonky tell you guys after the final game? Was he happy with the 2nd place or not?

He didn't say anything special. Everything was obvious, the result spoke for itself...

Dima, did you feel the pressure from the fans? Afterall, the game was sold out.

There were indeed a lot of Canadian fans. The town where we played is just 2 hours away from Canada and everything was red and white.. The fans didn't affect our play though..

How many people were at the game?

Around 12 thousand, and everyone was wearing red and white..

Have you played for the national team in front of fans like this befoe?

With that many people, never.

How did the players feel about the result? Were they happy?

In general, the players were left satisfied with the 2nd place, but we wanted to capture something more. 2nd place is special, it's always bitter when you lose and get the silver when you could've earned the gold..

Did you have a chance? I think Canadians were better.

We had a chance at the beginning of the game, and early in the 2nd period when the score was still 2:1. After that, we lost focus, and that was followed by dumb goals in our net.. I also want to mention that Canadians were all in great physical shape.

In the 3rd period you were spotted on the subs bench, but not in the uniform, what happened?

In the 2nd period I got a game misconduct and that ended my tournament.

Why did the refs punish you?

The Canadian player who I was covering, turned around while I was pushing him away, and I hit him in the head by an accident.

There were 4 Lada players at the tournament, Panin, Emelin, you and Ezhov, did you guys stick together, or was the team not divided based on teams?

We were all together. I for example, roomed with Ezhov. The team had no separation though, and the team was very united.

There were moments in the game with Canadians when Emelin got hit hard and needed help, Panin got roughed up as well. Because of this, did you feel the need to retaliate?

Yes, I had that feeling, especially when we started losing. I must say that Panin did a pretty good job at answering physically.

What did this tournament give you as a hockey player? Did it teach you anything?

In America, the rink is smaller which means more contact, more one on one match-ups. I learned to play these matchups more, play the body.

Did the school of defensive play of P. Vorobiev come in hand in the USA?

The thing is that the national team coaches demanded different things from the defensemen than P. Vorobiev. In the national team, they wanted us to play more offensive, active hockey. They want us to intercept the opponent's attacks in their zone, and during our own attacks, one of the defensemen has to be in the goalie crease.

You were tied for 2nd in scoring among defensemen with Dion Phaneuf, what helped you?

The thing is that we played a lot on the powerplay, and I managed to get 5 assists, 4 of them in the semi final along with a goal.

Did you get an award for it?

3 of Russia's best players were awarded "TISSOT" watches. Malkin, Ovechkin and me.

Was the award from the Russian Hockey Federation?

No, it was from tournament sponsors and the IIHF.

MOGiLNY 01-22-2005 06:12 PM

Well I guess this interview wasn't really interesting, but whatever, better than nothing I guess :)

He does sound like a good kid though, not someobdy who is full of himself. It was also interesting to see what he thinks of the smaller ice. Doesn't seem like he had a lot of trouble adjusting which is good news.

TML 01-22-2005 06:24 PM

If he turns out to be a top 4 defenceman... what a steal he'll be from the '04 draft. Kudos to the Leaf scouting over the past couple years, much better than the previous years.

darrylsittler27 01-22-2005 06:43 PM

Vorobiev looks good just like markov,kaberle etc

Kudos to the drafting staff,the leafs have been drafting better since Quinn got in.Whether it be markov,kaberle,kondratiev the leafs can spot euro defenseman, which are assets.They also have had some luck with covo,bell,white,harrison etc so it looks like they have our defense covered for years.Vorobiev just ads to that,he sure looks top 4 to me in 2 years.

MOGiLNY 01-22-2005 06:49 PM

I think top 4 is pushing it at this point. I think Cola and Hedin are ahead of Vorobiev right now.

Verbal Kint* 01-22-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOGiLNY
I think top 4 is pushing it at this point. I think Cola and Hedin are ahead of Vorobiev right now.

Hedin's going no-where special. He'll be a good 6/7 D-man at best.

LeeIs 01-22-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:

Well I guess this interview wasn't really interesting, but whatever, better than nothing I guess :)

I found it interesting :dunno:

Good to hear he was one the 3 best Russian players in that tourny.

Edit: but they only got watches!! :shakehead

MOGiLNY 01-23-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeIs
I found it interesting :dunno:

Good to hear he was one the 3 best Russian players in that tourny.

Edit: but they only got watches!! :shakehead

Glad it was good for you! I just wish they asked him less questions like "have you played for Russia before?" ..

and yeah, it's nice that IIHF and Russian officials think that Vorobiev was one of our best players. You've gotta be good if you get the same award as Ovechkin and Malkin at the same tournament.

as for watches, I don't remember which tournament it was, but at one of the world championships (not sure if it was junior or not), players of the game recieved crap that looked like it was purchased from the dollar store, so don't complain about watches :D

TrueBlue 01-23-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

He does sound like a good kid though, not someobdy who is full of himself. It was also interesting to see what he thinks of the smaller ice. Doesn't seem like he had a lot of trouble adjusting which is good news.

What are you talking about that was a great interview. Gives us a little insight into our prospect...thanx for sharing.

Sounds like a good guy, one who really wants to win.

Lobstertainment 01-23-2005 01:22 PM

sigh...

I can forgive him as long as it was an accident like he said, I remember being so pissed off when he got ejected, not for being ejected but for his head shot.

still that aside he does look promissing, young defensive d-men are very nice and if he comes close to being like Markov it's a steal IMO, someone who can log 15+ minutes a night in the NHL playing a defensive game is always a good asset, even better when you drafted them.

Verbal Kint* 01-23-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJTOM
sigh...

I can forgive him as long as it was an accident like he said, I remember being so pissed off when he got ejected, not for being ejected but for his head shot.

still that aside he does look promissing, young defensive d-men are very nice and if he comes close to being like Markov it's a steal IMO, someone who can log 15+ minutes a night in the NHL playing a defensive game is always a good asset, even better when you drafted them.

Agreed, I still doubt it was an accident. I was really dissapointed. Hopefully in the future he learns to check his ego at the door and keep his temper in check.