HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Super Bowl XXXIX thread|Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots|2/6/05 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=125490)

GKJ 01-23-2005 08:52 PM

Super Bowl XXXIX thread|Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots|2/6/05

Almost surreal.

Discuss.

MojoJojo 01-23-2005 09:35 PM

Let the TO speculation begin!

GoneFullHextall 01-23-2005 10:26 PM

Go Eagles
have i ever said how much i HATE the Pats?

FlyersGuy69 01-24-2005 08:07 AM

my early prediction
NE - 45
Phi - 17

I have no love for the Igles but short of a miracle(major injuries, plane crash), I don't see anyway the Eagles even keep this close. the Pats had to beat two great teams to get to the Super Bowl, while the Eagles feasted on the same old crap they have all year. the Eagles are a good team but, not on the level of teams like the Pats, Steelers, Jets or Colts. I would even say that the Chargers would give them a run for their money. if there was better competition in the NFC, the Eagles would probably be golfing two weeks from now instead of playing in the Super Bowl but theres not...so that's why I think it will be a blow out.

BTW, who cares if TO plays or not...he's not even going to be close to 100%. the Colts have the best QB and the best assortment of weapons you can have on a team and the Pats shut them down.

one consolation though...you guys can say "well, at least we got there!" :D

(Eagles hater disclaimer)
done.

GKJ 01-24-2005 08:39 AM

The Patriots own Peyton Manning though and they played him 3 times in a row IN New England in cold weather (maybe not the season opener). This game is in Jacksonville, in a warmer climate and the Patriots are playing one of the better defense they have seen all season...the Eagles only gave up an average of 16.3 points this season, I don't care who they played that is damn good.

Andy Reid has won every game after a bye week in his head coaching carreer as well. Both teams will be well prepared this game will be very close.

paxtang 01-24-2005 08:56 AM

We should make a seperate thread of Cowboy fan predictions of how we will be demolished.

FlyersGuy69 01-24-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Patriots own Peyton Manning though and they played him 3 times in a row IN New England in cold weather (maybe not the season opener). This game is in Jacksonville, in a warmer climate and the Patriots are playing one of the better defense they have seen all season...the Eagles only gave up an average of 16.3 points this season, I don't care who they played that is damn good.

the Steelers defense was better than the Eagles. and you can spin the whole Colts/Pats rivalry if it makes you feel better but what scary talented team have the Eagles beat this year? the Falcons are good but would have been equivalent to a wild card team in the AFC. a non factor basically.

Quote:

Andy Reid has won every game after a bye week in his head coaching carreer as well. Both teams will be well prepared this game will be very close.

hold on to that stat and let me know how it works out for ya. I think that streak will end in 2 weeks.

and I agree that both teams will be prepared for the game but that doesn't mean it will be close. we'll see what happens in 2 weeks.

bennysflyers16 01-24-2005 09:09 AM

We have just shut down 2 great offenses, stopped the best running game, and everyone still doubts us. We will not get respect no matter what. Rothlesberger's turnovers decided that game yesterday, more than the Pats. T.O. was jumping around like he should have been playing yesterday, let alone the superbowl. Early prediction :

Eagles - 20
Pats - 17

gonna be close !

Go EAGLES !!!!!

GKJ 01-24-2005 09:11 AM

The Steelers game though was a rivalry, revenge game, they already seen that defense before this season, they saw Big Ben before, and frankly, Bill Cower could have won if he would have kept running the ball (and looking back, he should have went for it on 4th and goal from the 2)

FlyersGuy69 01-24-2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

The Steelers game though was a rivalry, revenge game, they already seen that defense before this season, they saw Big Ben before, and frankly, Bill Cower could have won if he would have kept running the ball (and looking back, he should have went for it on 4th and goal from the 2)

yeah, yeah, yeah. woulda, coulda, shoulda...but they won. period. and if it was so easy for the Steelers to just run the ball, they would have. the Pats forced the Steelers to throw. and if Belichick didn't sit on the ball when it was 31-10 it would have been alot worse.

man you can spin. you should write for the Eagles...your that good. :handclap:

Blindside9711 01-24-2005 09:29 AM

I've been a 49ers and Pats fan for as long as I can remember. It's not that I don't like the Eagles, because I do... I just like Belichik and Brady alot more.
I think both teams will be very well prepared by the Super Bowl, but Belichik always has the upper hand when we're talking about game plans and coaching, whereas Andy Reid is good, but sometimes makes dumb moves. Belichik just always seems to make the right call. I see Brady moving to 9-0 in the postseason with another MVP performance.
I'm calling 23-14 for the Pats, 16-14 until mid-way through the 4th.

GKJ 01-24-2005 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
man you can spin. you should write for the Eagles...your that good. :handclap:

I'd perfer to stick to hockey :D

At least the lockout hasn't seemed as long with the Eagles season (at least for Eagles fans)

Chileiceman 01-24-2005 09:36 AM

I think it's gonna be the Pats again, though Philly is going to give them a run for their money. Pats 37 Eagles 30

pelts35.com 01-24-2005 10:10 AM

I'm not saying that he is 100%, but TO certainly looked pretty good running up and down the sidelines and jumping up and down. He will be in uniform for the Super Bowl.

Flyersguy, First, I really hate it when people say "what good teams did the Eagles beat?" You can only play the teams that are on the schedule. It's not their fault that they didn't have a difficult schedule and are in the weaker conference. They beat the teams on their schedule and most of those wins were by convincing margins, including the two playoff games.

Second of all, Pittsburgh's defense is better than the Eagles? Maybe in the games where Trotter wasn't starting at middle linebacker, but certainly not after. For the entire season, the two defenses were separated by less than a point per game. Do you completely negate what this defense did to Randy Moss and Michael Vick?

Third of all, the Colts have the best QB and assortment of weapons in perfect dome conditions. Take that team out of the dome, put them in the cold and snow and they are not even half the team that they are in the dome. Put that game in the dome and I would bet that the outcome would have been different.

Yes, the Pats won easily. The rookie quaterback finally showed his colors as a rookie and the Pats stepped it up. The difference in this game is that McNabb is not a rookie and the Eagles don't rely on the run to win games. Once Pittsburgh was down early, the game was over.

All of this being said, I still think that the Pats may be too much in the Super Bowl and will win 20-17 with yet another Adam Vinitieri game winning FG. But, hey, as the one sign at the Linc said, Phil Mickleson, the Red Sox, maybe, just maybe, it's the Eagles turn next!

i am dave 01-24-2005 11:08 AM

Chad Lewis is having lisfranc surgery on Wednesday per Andy Reid press conference.

MASK 01-24-2005 11:24 AM

w00t Eagles gonna come out FLYING and surprise the pats dynasty my arse.

Anyone got tix to Jax yet? :amazed:

Jester 01-24-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Early prediction :

Eagles - 20
Pats - 17

gonna be close !

Go EAGLES !!!!!

i quoted the same score to a buddy earlier today... though i can't decide who i think will win. i think both defensive coaching staffs are going to come up with a scheme to shut down the other offenses to a large extent so you are going to see a score in that vicinity.

big play on defense probably going to decide this game. i think the hero worship of the pats is going to spread this out some, but they play in a LOT of close games generally, which helps with the belief that it will be close. Roethlisberger handed that game to the Pats, which McNabb will not do.

Eagles are going to have to bring their run defense for sure, but the weather is going to be good for Reid and company with their desire to toss the ball around like 60% of the time. SHOULD be a good game.

Big McLargehuge 01-24-2005 12:19 PM

As a Steeler fan...KILL THOSE COMMIE BIMBOS!

*dons green and silver*

swflyers8* 01-24-2005 12:57 PM

The Panthers weren't favored last year and they made a game of it.

The Eagles will do the same thing but I won't be surprised if we lose. Just being there is great for me.

GoneFullHextall 01-24-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

I still have no problem with that call. get the easy 3, its a 2 possesion game and momentum is on your side. yeah they COULD have gone for TD there, but if they would have been stopped allot of momentum the Steelers had by then would have been gone. Bottom line is Pittsburgh didnt take care of the football and the Pats being the team that they are capatalized.
I was very,very bitter last night but i have calmed down a little bit since then. I still will pull for Philly on Feb. 6th thou.

Flyers26 01-24-2005 03:51 PM

go Pats !!!!!

Diesel 01-24-2005 04:53 PM

The Pats are the favorites and they should be as the defending champions. But I can't see them blowing the Eagles out. There are two keys to the game for the birds: #1 stop Corey Dillon. The Patriots rely heavily on the play action pass and I don't think they will be able to throw the ball against this defense unless they establish the run first. Somebody said earlier that the Pittsburgh defense is better than the Eagles'- I disagree. They are better against the run, but the Patriots have not faced a single team this season with a pass rush as good as the Eagles'. Brian Dawkins was right- for some reason this D gets no respect from anyone. Thats fine- they will two Sundays from now. The second key for the Eagles is cutting down on the mistakes. There were way too many dumb penalties and points left on the board in the last two games. Do that against the Pats and they'll kill you. Luckily, McNabb doesn't throw alot of interceptions, but they still need to cut down on penalties.

Just an observation- but does anyone else think that the Pats are sort of like the NJ Devils of the NFL? I always hated how the Devils were the best team but had no superstars (besides Brodeur, of course. Scott Stevens is a great player but, no, I don't consider him a superstar). I'm not saying the Pats are boring to watch (which the Devils certainly were), but they have nobody who makes me want to spend $150 for a jersey with their name on it. Tom Brady is good, but he's also a product of that system and of good coaching. Put him in the Eagles offense and this Eagles team doesn't get to the superbowl. He's the kind of QB that you insert into a good offense, not the kind of QB that you build a franchise around. There was a poll on ESPN.com asking fans which superbowl QB they'd rather build a franchise around and Brady won by a large margine. As they say- the masses are *****. He's good and good for that team but lets not get ridiculous. If I were building a franchise from the bottom up, I'd take Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Culpepper, and probably a few other guys over Tom Brady.

Diesel 01-24-2005 04:55 PM

forgot to give my score...

Eagles 21

Patriots 17 (with both of the Pats TD's coming in the 4th quarter)

pelts35.com 01-24-2005 05:20 PM

Diesel,

I just want to start out by saying that we are on the same side, but I disagree with a couple of your points.

First, I don't believe that the Steelers run defense is better than the Eagles. Once Jeremiah Trotter became the starter at middle linebacker, the Eagles run defense was as good as any other in the league.

Second, I believe that you are not giving Tom Brady enough credit. I think he makes the system work, not the other way around. He was the 9th ranked QB in the league this year.

Personally, I would not take Peyton Manning over Tom Brady, unless my team played in a dome. Talk about a guy that is a product of the system/weapons/dome. I'll take Brady and his 3 Super Bowl rings over Manning's inflated numbers due to half of his games being played in perfect conditions and zero Super Bowl appearances.

On the other hand, I really like your comparison of the Pats and the Devils (although I think you are slighting Scott Stevens, who is a future HOFer).

nickyb 01-24-2005 06:03 PM

there is no way in bloody hell that the eagles are gonna stop the patriots. it amazes me that some people think the eagles have got what it takes to win this. the new england patriots are unstoppable! mark my words, the patriots will win! :yo: