HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So what moves would your team need to make to be ready for a 38 mill cap? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=125523)

Chayos 01-24-2005 03:33 AM

So what moves would your team need to make to be ready for a 38 mill cap?

Well as an oiler fan I think the oil would be buyer in thsi market. They have to be getting some sort of revenue sharing or this CBA willl be killing them. So they would probably have to rais thier payroll some to make the minimum. I am estimating about 4.5 million dollars over what they were paying last season.

I would say the oil adds a player like Dimetra or Lindros on the ufa market to fill a weakness at 1st line center. I could see edm signing Dimetra for the 4.5 but Lindros shoudl onlu be $3.0 in the new nhl economy. If tehy signed a lesser Center tehy could afford an offensive d-man as well. Maybe someone like Tverdovsky or Kaberle.

The oil could offer Toronto something like Lynch or woywitka , Rita and a 1st for kaberle.

the leafs clear room and actaully get some prospects to fill roster spot ina year or 2 as their team loses older overpaid vet to retirement. I am not sure on teh trade value from a Tor side but the oiler pick should be somewhere 14-18 i would assume so a decent 1st rounder at least plus a good forward and d-man prospect.

our open night line up looks like this for me.

Smyth Lindros York
Torres Horcoff Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Isbister Stoll Hemsky

Brewer Kaberle
Staois Smith
ulanov Semenov

conklin/markannen

extra's : laraque, harvey, bergeron

McDonald19 01-24-2005 05:41 AM

Ducks payroll for 04/05 would have been about 42 million.

I'll assume this is for an 05/06 season:

Ozolinsh becomes a UFA July 1, 2005. (4 million comes off the books-his contract was 5 million but Carolina pays 1 million as part of a previous trade)

Fedorov's contract goes from 6 million to 8 million.

I think Giguere's might go up another million for 05/06 as well along with some other contracts that might go up.

That should put Anaheim back at 42 million or so.

So to dump 4 million the Ducks would look to trade a couple of these players:

1.)Petr Sykora 4.1 million per yr. contract expires July 2006.

2.)Rob Niedermayer on a 1 yr. 2.1 million dollar contract that would be qualified again this summer at about the same making him a UFA July 2006.

3.)Steve Rucchin 05/06 will be the final year of his contract that pays him 3 million a year. He will be a UFA July 2006.

4.)Keith Carney 05/06 will be the final year of his contract paying him 2.8 million. UFA July 2006.

5.)Ruslan Salei arbitration gave him 2.4 million this year, he would be qualified for that amount for 05/06 and then would be a UFA July 2006.

Any offers for these players?

leafaholix* 01-24-2005 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chayos1
Well as an oiler fan I think the oil would be buyer in thsi market. They have to be getting some sort of revenue sharing or this CBA willl be killing them. So they would probably have to rais thier payroll some to make the minimum. I am estimating about 4.5 million dollars over what they were paying last season.

I would say the oil adds a player like Dimetra or Lindros on the ufa market to fill a weakness at 1st line center. I could see edm signing Dimetra for the 4.5 but Lindros shoudl onlu be $3.0 in the new nhl economy. If tehy signed a lesser Center tehy could afford an offensive d-man as well. Maybe someone like Tverdovsky or Kaberle.

The oil could offer Toronto something like Lynch or woywitka , Rita and a 1st for kaberle.

the leafs clear room and actaully get some prospects to fill roster spot ina year or 2 as their team loses older overpaid vet to retirement. I am not sure on teh trade value from a Tor side but the oiler pick should be somewhere 14-18 i would assume so a decent 1st rounder at least plus a good forward and d-man prospect.

our open night line up looks like this for me.

Smyth Lindros York
Torres Horcoff Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Isbister Stoll Hemsky

Brewer Kaberle
Staois Smith
ulanov Semenov

conklin/markannen

extra's : laraque, harvey, bergeron

Leafs don't need defenseman prospects.

Ajacied 01-24-2005 06:17 AM

Pierre Turgeon's bloaded contract runs out after this "season", too bad he never worked out in Dallas, he has not nearly declined as much as his stats suggest. Anyway, there's no way the Stars can form a competitive team with the guns they have. The defense has gone from tops in the league for several straight years to average at best with only Zubov, Boucher and arguably Klemm as legit top 4 defensemen. The latter who's likely not even coming back. The rest will be filled with rookies. Same with the forwards and backup goalie's. Only Modano, Morrow, Lehtinen, Guerin, Arnott, Barnes, Kapanen and Ott have any form of experience, the rest (meaning 4 spots) will all be up for grabs for the rookies. Surely it will make for an interesting camp, but still, it's not a good sign for a team supposed to be contending. When next season gets underway, the Stars might have as much as 8 rookies or inexperienced youngsters in their regular, day-to-day line-up.

All in all, we'll be around 40 million depending on whether we'll re-sign Klemm, Barnes or even Arnott.

FlyersFan10* 01-24-2005 10:22 AM

I think we'll end up shedding four contracts in order to get to the required level. I'm thinking Roenick, Leclair, Amonte and Desjardins will all be gone. And then you can throw in some extra fodder like Burke, Fedoruk and/or Brashear, maybe even Kapannen.

This whole level just sucks. I'm taking a look at most teams and some of the talent that would be moved is insane. There's no way that the possibility of redistributing talent can be good for the league. There are teams who are having a hard time even meeting the floor of $31 million, so how can they take on more salary if there isn't any significant revenue sharing.

MojoJojo 01-24-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen

:lol:

Leafs would take that deal and run like the wind, ESPECIALLY with the prospect of a cap looming.

Volcanologist 01-24-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo

Leafs would take that deal and run like the wind, ESPECIALLY with the prospect of a cap looming.

Uh, no we wouldn't.

Kaberle is exactly the sort of player we should hold on to.

MojoJojo 01-24-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I think we'll end up shedding four contracts in order to get to the required level. I'm thinking Roenick, Leclair, Amonte and Desjardins will all be gone. And then you can throw in some extra fodder like Burke, Fedoruk and/or Brashear, maybe even Kapannen.

This whole level just sucks. I'm taking a look at most teams and some of the talent that would be moved is insane. There's no way that the possibility of redistributing talent can be good for the league. There are teams who are having a hard time even meeting the floor of $31 million, so how can they take on more salary if there isn't any significant revenue sharing.

Getting rid of LeClair, Amonte, and Burke would be my first priority, saving us $20 mil right there. With Recchi, Malakhov, and Zhamnov also probably not being re-signed we save quite a bit from last season, maybe even enough to sneak in under the cap. It all depends on how easy it will be to shed big contracts via a buyout, since no one wil want these players and their salaries. We have players to fill all other holes if Carter plays. I dont want to give up Roenick just yet , and We still need Desjardins on defense, since we really dont have many good prospects past Seidenberg back there.

Habs4ever 01-24-2005 11:01 AM

Leafs would be lucky to land first rounder for Kaberle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen

let alone two extra prospects. Leafs will have bigger problems then kaberle to worry about leafs will lose in new salary cap environment Leetch, Nolan, Sundin, Belfour, Mogilny thats $28 M right there maybe after this leafs can start their long awaited rebuilding plan.

Legionnaire 01-24-2005 11:35 AM

Nothing. We would still have 6 million to spare.

Classic Devil 01-24-2005 11:40 AM

New Jersey Devils
Current Payroll: Approximately $58,000,000
Need to shave off $20,000,000

I don't know how. I can get rid of 10-15 million, but not 20.

FlyersFan10* 01-24-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
New Jersey Devils

Jeez, I think you and I are in the same boat here. Our teams are gonna take a pounding when this new agreement comes into place, especially if there is a 38 million cap. So much for Jersey and Philly being the beasts of the anymore......

Jaded-Fan 01-24-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Nothing. We would still have 6 million to spare.

For the first season, the Pens would be pretty well positioned, getting players like Malkin (and dare I say, Crosby) on the cheap at a new rookie capped salary of maybe $800,000. As well as many other players who could make the team from WBS. Then could add players shed by other teams with that $6 million.

The beauty of this system is that we do not get to keep them forever. No way does a team keep for very long players like those above along with Fleury and what we have coming up. Assuming that they develope as we think, their payday will come due and we will be shedding players, as it should be.

But right now the Pens will have a very young, very cheap, very talented team and could go from worst to toward the top quickly.

mooseOAK* 01-24-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
let alone two extra prospects. Leafs will have bigger problems then kaberle to worry about leafs will lose in new salary cap environment Leetch, Nolan, Sundin, Belfour, Mogilny thats $28 M right there maybe after this leafs can start their long awaited rebuilding plan.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=124620

nikolai19 01-24-2005 01:22 PM

When would this all go into effect? For example, if you are Philly and the deal gets done, do you have to shed your guys before the end of a 28 game regular season? Are they going to be penalized for the 05-06 year instead of this year? How would that work?

Onion Boy 01-24-2005 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
New Jersey Devils

Well you'd have to think that there would be some sort of immediate salary rollback, plus a new cap would likely have to be eased in. If you could shave 10-15mil off your payroll I think you'd be in good shape.

Evil Sather 01-24-2005 01:23 PM

How exactly can Pittsburgh, who supposedly made a (very) small profit with what, a $22 million team salary and is barely floating NOW be profitable with, at minimum $12 million extra salary?

Where exactly is this extra $12-16 million coming from?

Volcanologist 01-24-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sather
How exactly can Pittsburgh, who supposedly made a (very) small profit with what, a $22 million team salary and is barely floating NOW be profitable with, at minimum $12 million extra salary?

I've never been able to get anybody to give me a satisfactory answer for this question, and I've been asking it for months now.

Without revenue sharing, I have no idea where this money will come from.

Teemu 01-24-2005 01:35 PM

We'd stand pat. Our payroll is only a bit over 20M, and we already filled our roster with free agents. However, I'm sure we'd probably reel in another good player should the cap happen

Vast Ant Dioi 01-24-2005 01:46 PM

If there was some kind of salary rollback the Flames, who would be sitting somewhere around $39-$40 million if you used Iginla's salary from last year, would be sitting right about where they'd need to be.

If there's a season this year it sure will be interesting to see Boston load up on other teams' cuts.

Volcanologist 01-24-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu
We'd stand pat. Our payroll is only a bit over 20M, and we already filled our roster with free agents. However, I'm sure we'd probably reel in another good player should the cap happen

Stand pat?

You need to spend 12-14 more million to meet the minimum payroll.

triggrman 01-24-2005 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sather

Nashville too.

leafaholix* 01-24-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo

No, no they wouldn't.

Chimaera 01-24-2005 02:34 PM

All I know is the Caps would be licking their lips waiting to see which teams would have to let people go.

There are going to be quite a few quality players who will be to costly for some teams, and the Caps will be more than happy to take them in.

Go Flames Go* 01-24-2005 02:44 PM

Hell this makes me laugh even saying it, the Flames would be over the cap also haha, and we don't even have Iginla signed.