HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Article on Luongo practices this morning and greatly favors return to Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1255389)

adam graves 09-04-2012 12:31 PM

Article on Luongo practices this morning and greatly favors return to Panthers

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,3137532.story

UpGoesRupp 09-04-2012 01:24 PM

I want Luongo to start and do well somewhere else but it's almost a primadonna act now.

VinnyC 09-04-2012 01:33 PM

He lives in Florida and practices there in the off-season... and he's stated his (logical) preference for the Panthers for a while.

Esp.

Quote:

"[The Panthers] makes sense for myself, for my career and my family,'' added Luongo, who still has 10 years at $5.33 million per remaining on his deal. "That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''
Nothing new.

Scottrockztheworld* 09-04-2012 01:35 PM

Pretty sure this has all been known for a while.

As he lives in Fla during the offseason he usually practices there EVERY off season so its not something out of the ordinary.

TOML 09-04-2012 01:39 PM

Yes, all the stress is going to make José lose his hair again.

TOML

eklunds source 09-04-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestZephyr (Post 54082217)
I want Luongo to start and do well somewhere else but it's almost a primadonna act now.

Do you know what a primadonna is?

- a vain. undisciplined, egotistical, obnoxious, or tempermental person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team

What part of that describes Luongo? He's almost the exact opposite of all those things.

Also, he can't really do a damn thing about it, what else is he going to say when a reporter asks him the same questions over and over again? The situation is totally out of his control.

Muminek 09-04-2012 01:47 PM

What about Markstrom?

Vankiller Whale 09-04-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muminek (Post 54082869)
What about Markstrom?

He's a prospect at least 3 years away from being a full-time starter, and he's had some knee issues.

InfinityIggy 09-04-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54083461)
He's a prospect at least 3 years away from being a full-time starter, and he's had some knee issues.

There is no way he is still 3 years out, and he has had 1 minor knee operation.

:help:

Vankiller Whale 09-04-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 54083505)

Well, he's in the AHL this season, so unless he will be a starter in his first season in the NHL, I think it will be in 3 years. And I believe he's had two knee surgeries so far.

RECsGuy* 09-04-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 54083505)

He has yet to play 50 games in an AHL season. He is at least 3 years away from starting 50 games in an NHL season.

timmeh 09-04-2012 02:20 PM

Will the Panthers really gamble on Luongo with Markström getting ready? I sure hope not.

If you sign such a long contract, you should have to live with it. IMO

Scottrockztheworld* 09-04-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmeh (Post 54083909)
Will the Panthers really gamble on Luongo with Markström getting ready? I sure hope not.

If you sign such a long contract, you should have to live with it. IMO

yeah? You're a Kings fan right?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/timwh...rds-carter.jpg

Still feel that way?

TheRollingPuck 09-04-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestZephyr (Post 54082217)

I haven't gotten that vibe from the whole thing. Maybe it is because I'm not as attentive to it as Nucks or Panther fans. I dunno.

Reign Nateo 09-04-2012 02:25 PM

Markstrom isn't going to stop the Panthers from acquiring Luongo should they get the right deal. Teams don't think like HF posters, where prospects trump proven NHLers. If they can get a goalie like Luongo in a good deal, they will, and then they'll worry about what to do with Markstrom when he proves he's ready. Kind of like the situation Luongo is just leaving...

Other than the strangeness of him practising on the same ice as some of the Panthers, this is all pretty well known information at this point.

Shakey Rustie 09-04-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 54083981)
yeah? You're a Kings fan right?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/timwh...rds-carter.jpg

Still feel that way?

We have an early nominee for post of the month :handclap:

InfinityIggy 09-04-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54083599)
Well, he's in the AHL this season, so unless he will be a starter in his first season in the NHL, I think it will be in 3 years. And I believe he's had two knee surgeries so far.

No probably not this season, I could see him taking the reigns next season if Luongo doesn't end up in Florida though.

Health as a past indicator for a goalie is a shaky argument, he has already proven that when healthy he is one of the best prospect goalies in the league.

I feel if there is a spot for him, he will likely get it if healthy.

Nizdizzle 09-04-2012 02:38 PM

I love how the media tries to paint Luongo as disgruntled, and some posters just run with it. I think he's played it pretty cool up to this point. Hasn't said anything bad about the Nucks, no demanding "my way or the highway" attitude.

tsujimoto74 09-04-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muminek (Post 54082869)
What about Markstrom?

Could be helped greatly by being eased into the league behind a vet starter who can lessen the pressure on him and mentor him, IMO. Though it would eventually stink for Florida when they end up with a $5mil back-up, like the Nucks right now.

Avs_19 09-04-2012 02:55 PM

Gotta love this quote.....

Quote:

"It's awkward,'' Luongo said of possibly running into Theodore. "You don't like to hear rumors. It kind of puts us a little bit in the same boat. That's the business. Unfortunately, nobody likes to get traded. Nobody likes to move around. You wish you could start and end your career in the same city, but unfortunately this is a tough business and these things happen.''
So how about you stop publicly talking about going back to the Panthers and taking Theodore's job? It will probably be a lot less awkward then.

Neither one of them can stop the rumours and it has been reported that the Panthers are interested in Luongo but it's a bit different when he keeps coming out and saying he wants to play for them.

mooseOAK* 09-04-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan311 (Post 54084441)
I love how the media tries to paint Luongo as disgruntled, and some posters just run with it. I think he's played it pretty cool up to this point. Hasn't said anything bad about the Nucks, no demanding "my way or the highway" attitude.

Really? Because there is no way he's going to play for the Canucks ever again.

Scurr 09-04-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 54084405)
No probably not this season, I could see him taking the reigns next season if Luongo doesn't end up in Florida though.

Health as a past indicator for a goalie is a shaky argument, he has already proven that when healthy he is one of the best prospect goalies in the league.

I feel if there is a spot for him, he will likely get it if healthy.

He hasn't started more than 43 games in any of the last 5 seasons, that's hardly the workload of someone that is close to being ready to take the reigns of an NHL team.

NYVanfan 09-04-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 54084963)
Really? Because there is no way he's going to play for the Canucks ever again.

thanks for clarifying that -- good to have insider info like that.

primadonna line is way off-base. It's just us keyboard jockeys that have made this into a bigger issue than it is, not Luongo.

I thought this guy had an interesting take --

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified
Luongo did Mike Gillis a huge favor today regarding exploring other possibilities than FLA.

clearly in reference to this addendum to his comment that Fla would be nice to return to:

"That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''

Scottrockztheworld* 09-04-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 54084565)
Could be helped greatly by being eased into the league behind a vet starter who can lessen the pressure on him and mentor him, IMO. Though it would eventually stink for Florida when they end up with a $5mil back-up, like the Nucks right now.

Kind of like how Schneider was brought along.... or you know you can pull a Steve Mason & start him before he is ready.

RECsGuy* 09-04-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 54085627)
Kind of like how Schneider was brought along.... or you know you can pull a Steve Mason & start him before he is ready.

Am I the only one itching for a Luongo trade to see what Roberto's new mask art will be? LOL He's been wearing those hideous Seahawks colors long enough. Time to see him in something new (or old ;) ).