HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   News Article: A Closer Look at San Jose’s Most Underrated Defenseman: Marc-Edouard Vlasic (SBHJ) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1255717)

chrisralph007 09-04-2012 11:28 PM

A Closer Look at San Jose’s Most Underrated Defenseman: Marc-Edouard Vlasic (SBHJ)

A Closer Look at San Jose’s Most Underrated Defenseman: Marc-Edouard Vlasic

by Spencer Head of Sunbelt Hockey Journal (partner site of The Hockey Writers)

Excerpt:

"Erik Karlsson, Kris Letang, Dan Boyle. These current NHL defensemen are widely known for their offensive abilities.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic isn’t.

In fact, he isn’t very well known at all around the league.

However, the Sharks’ 25-year-old blueliner known as “Eddie” or “Pickles” is highly regarded in San Jose for his relentless defense.

This summer he signed a 5-year extension with the Sharks worth $21.25M, coming out to a salary cap hit of $4.25 a year, according to CapGeek.com. He also has a No-Trade Clause. With the likes of Vancouver’s Jason Garrison and Calgary’s Dennis Wideman signing overpaid contracts this offseason of $4.6 and $5.25 million a year, Vlasic’s extension is undoubtedly a win and possibly a steal for General Manager Doug Wilson."

Full article here:
http://thehockeywriters.com/shj/a-cl...douard-vlasic/

Kitten Mittons 09-04-2012 11:44 PM

That's not really a "closer look" at all. No offense.

Hatrick Marleau 09-04-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 54098817)
That's not really a "closer look" at all. No offense.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.

Mafoofoo 09-05-2012 12:00 AM

We sort of knew all of that already.

RussianShark 09-05-2012 12:16 AM

Didn't know they called him Eddie

Pinkfloyd 09-05-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianShark (Post 54099479)

He's also called Celine on occasion. lol

TheJuxtaposer 09-05-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianShark (Post 54099479)

Steady Eddie.

But yeah, no offense, but everyone here knows all that about Vlasic. Not really an "in-depth" look.

Graveland 09-05-2012 12:19 AM

Hes underrated league wide not just for SJ.

Berto2k 09-05-2012 01:48 AM

Thats all that is considered a "closer look"?

Mafoofoo 09-05-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berto2k (Post 54100873)
Thats all that is considered a "closer look"?

Like Burt Macklin FBI mentioned, to the rest of the league who don't really know Vlasic that probably is a fairly close look.

Barrie22 09-05-2012 09:01 AM

i am so informed.

VP and GM 09-05-2012 09:58 AM

yawn.....

DarrylshutzSydor 09-06-2012 06:21 PM

Underrated? Really? I'd use him as trade bait because he has a reputation as a shutdown guy, but doesn't really get the job done.

Splitbtw 09-06-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor (Post 54139623)
Underrated? Really? I'd use him as trade bait because he has a reputation as a shutdown guy, but doesn't really get the job done.

(scratches head)

Is there a 'NOT!' you forgot there at the end?

Oppa 09-06-2012 10:46 PM

GL with that NTC/NMC he has

hockeyball 09-07-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor (Post 54139623)

Statistically one of the best in the league. Continue to be irrationally negative though!

Barrie22 09-07-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawaii (Post 54145891)
GL with that NTC/NMC he has

he doesn't have one though.

WTFetus 09-07-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie22 (Post 54151343)
he doesn't have one though.

Vlasic has a NTC.

hockeyball 09-07-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 54153407)
Vlasic has a NTC.

I believe what he's saying is it doesn't kick in till after this season.

DarrylshutzSydor 09-07-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 54150587)
Statistically one of the best in the league. Continue to be irrationally negative though!

Negative? Maybe. Irrational? Certainly not. I have been a season ticket holder for the sharks for 7 years only to be disappointed every year. The rose colored glasses are off. Go back and watch the playoff losses over the last 6 years and you'll see why. Its that I don't like Vlas, but I'm not going to let that change the fact that he, and most of the team deserve to be criticized for not getting the job done, especially since they have the ability, but simply don't put the effort in. Hockey is all about Desire.

Pinkfloyd 09-07-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor (Post 54164475)
Negative? Maybe. Irrational? Certainly not. I have been a season ticket holder for the sharks for 7 years only to be disappointed every year. The rose colored glasses are off. Go back and watch the playoff losses over the last 6 years and you'll see why. Its that I don't like Vlas, but I'm not going to let that change the fact that he, and most of the team deserve to be criticized for not getting the job done, especially since they have the ability, but simply don't put the effort in. Hockey is all about Desire.

Quite a simplistic approach to a very complicated game. No team sport is about any one thing. And trying to pass it off as such is disingenuous. People love to praise the teams from the early years when they upset the Wings and Flames in the first round and I don't know many people who would say that they didn't have the desire. Those teams didn't get the job done either.

Your dispute of being irrational is predicated on a bias just like you allude to with the rose-colored glasses being off. There's another shade of glasses that is just as biased and you have them on in full force, buddy.

Kitten Mittons 09-07-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 54165071)
There's another shade of glasses that is just as biased and you have them on in full force, buddy.

Heart colored shade or gut colored shade?

Pinkfloyd 09-07-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 54165233)
Heart colored shade or gut colored shade?

Is there an ass-colored shade? :P

hockeyball 09-07-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

This is what it sounds like you just said:

I am tired of watching my team lose and I am really pissed off so I am going to make baseless and subjective statements about the entire team because it makes me feel better.

Seriously. That's what it sounds like.

SnarkAttack 09-07-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

That's really too bad. I've been having a good time with your posts assuming they were Colbert-esque satire which you were voicing the less informed view of the Sharks of fans from other markets. I thought the irrational negativity had a certain charm...