HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Top 10 Habs of All Time (no goalies included) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=125583)

Sabres11forever 01-24-2005 01:52 PM

Top 10 Habs of All Time (no goalies included)

The Montreal Gazette has been publishing Red Fisher's Top 10 Montreal Canadiens the past few days. The selections thus far have been:

10. Serge Savard
9. Dickie Moore
8. Bob Gainey
7. Boom-Boom Geoffrion
6. Larry Robinson.

There remains five selections to be made. I would think that Jean Beliveau; Maurice richard; Doug Harvey and Guy Lafleur would qualify for four of the remaining spots...maybe not in that order.

That leaves one opening:

So, would that be :
a.) Henri Richard 11 Stanley Cups , most ever
b.) Yvan Cournoyer 10 Stanley Cups and Team Canada 1972
c.) Guy Lapointe, the odd man out of the Big 3?
d.) Frank Mahovlich most points by a left winger prior to Steve Shutt
e.) Steve Shutt , most points by a left winger and a 60 goal season
f.) Pierre Larouche, 50 goal scorer
g.) Peter Mahovlich, over 100 points, Team Canada 72 & 76
h.) Guy Carbooneau-maybe the best defensive forward of his time
i) Denis Savard

Now, the column suggests that the 10 selections totaled 71 Stanley Cups...I am thinking Hneri Richard makes the list.

Thoughts?

Chili 01-24-2005 01:58 PM

Habs retired numbers:

Jacques Plante1
Doug Harvey 2
Jean Béliveau4
Howie Morenz 7
Maurice Richard 9
Guy Lafleur 10
Henri Richard 16

My guess would be Morenz. Among the goalers, Plante, Bill Durnan and Ken Dryden should not be far from the top ten. Edit: Oh yeah, and some guy that wore 33.

Malefic74 01-24-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabres11forever
The Montreal Gazette has been publishing Red Fisher's Top 10 Montreal Canadiens the past few days. The selections thus far have been:

10. Serge Savard
9. Dickie Moore
8. Bob Gainey
7. Boom-Boom Geoffrion
6. Larry Robinson.

There remains five selections to be made. I would think that Jean Beliveau; Maurice richard; Doug Harvey and Guy Lafleur would qualify for four of the remaining spots...maybe not in that order.

That leaves one opening:

So, would that be :
i) Denis Savard

Now, the column suggests that the 10 selections totaled 71 Stanley Cups...I am thinking Hneri Richard makes the list.

Thoughts?

Either Pocket Rocket or Roadrunner. Can't see anybody else in there. Particularly Larouche (who left on pretty bad terms) or Savard (whose best years were with Chicago.) My head says Richard will get it, but my heart says Cournoyer.

KOVALEV10* 01-24-2005 02:48 PM

Fisher said that the ten players have a total of 71 cups and 9 norris trophies so by that anology Henri Richard will be no 5.

BM67 01-24-2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

10. Serge Savard
9. Dickie Moore
8. Bob Gainey
7. Boom-Boom Geoffrion
6. Larry Robinson.

That leaves one opening:

So, would that be :
i) Denis Savard

Thoughts?

Henri Richard will likely be on the list, but Howie Morenz should be.

I'd also put Newsy Lalonde, Aurel Joliat, and Jacques Lemaire ahead of most of the guys you listed.

Zetterberg4Captain* 01-24-2005 04:20 PM

I think Fischer is rating the top 10 habs of all time from when he started covering them so Lalonde, Joliat and Morenz wont be there.

Sabres11forever 01-24-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chili
Habs retired numbers:

Jacques Plante1
Doug Harvey 2
Jean Béliveau4
Howie Morenz 7
Maurice Richard 9
Guy Lafleur 10
Henri Richard 16

My guess would be Morenz. Among the goalers, Plante, Bill Durnan and Ken Dryden should not be far from the top ten. Edit: Oh yeah, and some guy that wore 33.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................
I apologize, no goalies are included in this list AND it is only from the 50 years that Red Fisher has been covering the Canadiens. I believe Red Fisher's first assignment may have been the Richard Riot. By clarifying this information, we now have a more narrow scope.

Sabres11forever 01-24-2005 06:13 PM

Quote:

Habs retired numbers:

Jacques Plante1
Doug Harvey 2
Jean Béliveau4
Howie Morenz 7
Maurice Richard 9
Guy Lafleur 10
Henri Richard 16

I apologize, no goalies are included in this list AND it is only from the 50 years that Red Fisher has been covering the Canadiens. I believe Red Fisher's first assignment may have been the Richard Riot. By clarifying this information, we now have a more narrow scope.

On another note, #4 was retired honoring both Jean Beliveau and Aurial Joliet, though somehow a name got associated with the number that hangs in the Bell Center. The same scenario exists for #16, as both Henri Richard and Elmer LAch were both honored fortheir careers, though only Richard is mentioned on the banner today.

Sabres11forever 01-25-2005 07:53 AM

Quote:

On another note, #4 was retired honoring both Jean Beliveau and Aurial Joliet, though somehow a name got associated with the number that hangs in the Bell Center. The same scenario exists for #16, as both Henri Richard and Elmer LAch were both honored fortheir careers, though only Richard is mentioned on the banner today.

Mystery solved, Henri Richard is #5 in today's paper. But Hab fans, do we agree? Somehow I feel that both Yvan Cournoyer and Guy Lapointe should have reached the list ahead of a couple of the names on Red Fisher's list...I don't have 50 years covering the Canadiens but I do recognize their contributions and believe that they deserve to be recognized as top 10.

mcphee 01-25-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Mystery solved, Henri Richard is #5 in today's paper. But Hab fans, do we agree? Somehow I feel that both Yvan Cournoyer and Guy Lapointe should have reached the list ahead of a couple of the names on Red Fisher's list...I don't have 50 years covering the Canadiens but I do recognize their contributions and believe that they deserve to be recognized as top 10.

I think Lapointe,Lemaire and Cournoyer are the 3 names who he had to consider, but no others. I could argue Lapointe over Savard maybe, Lemaire was great but who has to leave ? Gainey ? The thing that makes these lists fun is that it's not exact. Players careers, esp. when on great teams were affected by their respective teams needs. Lapointe player with the #4 guy on the depth chart and Savard allowed Robinson to free lance. If Savard played as a California Seal he might've put up better numbers, been singled out more, who knows how things develop. Lemaire was among the best players in teh NHL for his last 3 years, earlier some considered him a floater with a big shot. Gainey was needed in a shutdown role as his team had others to score. If he was drafted by the Leafs would he have been a premier offensive player alongside Sittler ? Really, I couldn't dispute anyone on that list. I'd love to hear Fisher qualify his choices as he's always been pretty funny, but I think his multi media days are done.

Chili 01-25-2005 08:24 AM

Lemaire was a great player but he retired when he was playing some of the best hockey of his career. If he had played a few more years maybe he'd be on that list.

Gainey was in a class by himself as a defensive forward. He's the reason there is a Selke trophy awarded.

Didn't know it was just players Red has seen but that makes sense. I would think Morenz and Patrick Roy would find their way onto a top ten all time Canadiens list...although the next ten would not be too shabby either.

Sabres11forever 01-25-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Lemaire was a great player but he retired when he was playing some of the best hockey of his career. If he had played a few more years maybe he'd be on that list.

Gainey was in a class by himself as a defensive forward. He's the reason there is a Selke trophy awarded.

I am a Bob Gainey fan both as a player and as a Builder. He was not the exclusive reason for the Selke, though he did win it four times in a row...Don Marcotte ,Craig Ramsey and Butch Goring were strong candidates as well...and, nobody diminishes Brad Park's place in hockey because Bobby Orr won the Norris and Park did not...

Chili 01-25-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

I am a Bob Gainey fan both as a player and as a Builder. He was not the exclusive reason for the Selke, though he did win it four times in a row...Don Marcotte ,Craig Ramsey and Butch Goring were strong candidates as well...and, nobody diminishes Brad Park's place in hockey because Bobby Orr won the Norris and Park did not...

I've never seen a forward who dominated defensively in the way that Gainey did. The other players you mention all had fine careers but they did not dominate physically the way Gainey did, nor did they have his speed. As far as the trophy goes, he would have one or two more if the trophy had been awarded sooner, in my opinion. He won the trophy the first 4 years it was presented. No one else has won it that many times.

And this is from the legends of hockey.net:

Quote:

Gainey's style of play and ability to check and skate with the NHL's top forwards inspired the league to create a new post-season award. Beginning in 1978, the NHL presented the Frank J. Selke Trophy to the top defensive forward in the game. Fittingly, Gainey was the recipient in each of the first four years it was awarded.

Habsolutely Awesome 02-04-2005 02:14 AM

WAY TOO MANY GREATS TO CHOOSE FROM :dunno:

Psycho Papa Joe 02-10-2005 07:58 PM

10 Greatest Habs I witnessed, including goalies since 1975:

1) Larry Robinson
2) Pat Roy
3) Guy Lafleur
4) Ken Dryden
5) Serge Savard
6) Chris Chelios
7) Bob Gainey
8) Guy Lapointe
9) Jacques Lemaire
10) Guy Charbonneau

Habsfan 32 02-10-2005 08:24 PM

1.Maurice Richard
2.Jean Beliveau
3.Doug Harvey
4.Guy Lafleur
5.Patrick Roy
6.Jaques Plante
7.Henri Richard
8.Howie Morenz
9.Boom-Boom Geoffrion
10.Larry Robinson

Snap Wilson 02-22-2005 10:37 AM

I'm not a fan of this good/better/best crap, especially with players from different generations, but I'll give the Fish respect for his opinion. If any one is justified to create such a list, he is.

Some food for thought: If the period of time considered is strictly from the Richard riot on, does The Rocket really rank higher _from that point on_ than say, Larry Robinson over his whole career?

And Jesus, what a history the Habs have. Probably the only team in professional sports (along with the Yankees) that you could make a top 100 list and not be scraping the barrel by the time you finished.