HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   OT: Best tattoo artist in Ottawa? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1255987)

Jerk Store 09-05-2012 03:41 PM

Best tattoo artist in Ottawa?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting inked up sometime soon. Don't ask why, but I want a big winter wonderland done, Coca Cola style Santa and all, and looking for the best artist to do portrait kinda things. I'm hoping to have no black outlines, more like vintage Norman Rockwell illustration kinda thing.

Any suggestions?

Marty Straka 09-05-2012 05:54 PM

I've heard good reviews on Planet Ink on rideau.

Tyskie 09-05-2012 06:37 PM

The Ottawa Tattoo Expo starts October 26 and I've heard good things from a few friends who've gotten tattooed there.

List of vendors.

OmniSens 09-05-2012 06:48 PM

Looking as well, good timing on thread :nod:

epinephrine 09-05-2012 06:54 PM

I go to Adrian at Living Colour by Rideau Centre. He doesn't specialize in portraits but there are people there who are pretty good.

John Holmes* 09-05-2012 07:05 PM

I'd go with this guy:

http://englishrussia.com/images/tatoo_fail/12.jpg

LeTigre 09-05-2012 07:40 PM

Joel and Julian at 5 cents on Parkdale have an amazing reputation.

Jimmy at Planet Ink on Rideau is a solid option as well. Good hockey guy too.

dacostalove 09-05-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk Store (Post 54111803)
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting inked up sometime soon. Don't ask why, but I want a big winter wonderland done, Coca Cola style Santa and all, and looking for the best artist to do portrait kinda things. I'm hoping to have no black outlines, more like vintage Norman Rockwell illustration kinda thing.

Any suggestions?

a good tattoo has black outlines and bold colours. you want good, thick lines to keep the image over the years.

i would've reccommended kyle at silverline but he's moved back east, and i don't live in the country anymore so i get all my work done by dirty frenchmen.

SixthSens 09-05-2012 08:38 PM

The OP is looking for suggestions, not a debate on whether or not tattoos are cool.

John Holmes* 09-06-2012 12:15 AM

so he got the bonus plan...

Bileur 09-06-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Straka (Post 54114853)
I've heard good reviews on Planet Ink on rideau.

I once hung out a Planet Ink for several hours (8ish) for a paper, I have nothing but good things to report. The artists and the owners were extremely personable and nice enough to let us hang out and interview their clients (obviously only the ones who were willing). Their work was very impressive and I got the chance to chat with the owner about the multitude of awards the studio has won.

The way I see it, if you're winning multiple awards for "cover-up" tattoos, hiding the terrible job other people have done, you must be doing a great job.

I particularly remember a woman getting an amazing cherry blossom tattoo. Having literally asked every client about their opinion during the time I spent there, they all indicated they were very happy with the work the artists had done.

2Cowen 09-06-2012 08:31 AM

If I were you I would spend the extra cash to go somewhere extremely reputable. Chronic Ink is AMAZING. They specialize in asian tattoos but they all of their other work is simply stunning.

If you can squeeze the drive to and from Toronto I would suggest getting a tattoo by them. You can check out their facebook page and website for their portfolio. They are coming to the Ottawa convention as well near the end of October.

Jerk Store 09-06-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 54127169)
If I were you I would spend the extra cash to go somewhere extremely reputable. Chronic Ink is AMAZING. They specialize in asian tattoos but they all of their other work is simply stunning.

If you can squeeze the drive to and from Toronto I would suggest getting a tattoo by them. You can check out their facebook page and website for their portfolio. They are coming to the Ottawa convention as well near the end of October.

Yup, I'd be open to that. Montreal would be easier though...

Zorf 09-06-2012 11:48 AM

My old boss exclusively goes to Full Moon tattoo. He has a full sleeve on his right arm and an incredible pin-up girl on his left forearm.

I don't recall the specific artist who did the work though.

BK201 09-06-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epinephrine (Post 54116323)
I go to Adrian at Living Colour by Rideau Centre. He doesn't specialize in portraits but there are people there who are pretty good.

I actually go to this guy too. He's a really good guy, he's a pretty good friend of some of my buddies so ill hang put with him the odd time. Really happy with the work he did for me and he did some for my friends. Decent prices there too.

He's really great with ideas if you want input and comes up with some great stuff from consults too.

BK201 09-06-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacostalove (Post 54118255)
a good tattoo has black outlines and bold colours. you want good, thick lines to keep the image over the years.

i would've reccommended kyle at silverline but he's moved back east, and i don't live in the country anymore so i get all my work done by dirty frenchmen.

Don't go here I got one done and I don't remember the guys name but he messed it up and I have a lot of scar tissue were the ink is now. Stay away from silver line on rideau across from Rock junction.

Also it's like a tribal three leaf clover but because he sucked the lines like blotched out more and look more rounded, like a lot more rounded than they should. I'm still pissed about it.

dacostalove 09-06-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK201 (Post 54131433)
Don't go here I got one done and I don't remember the guys name but he messed it up and I have a lot of scar tissue were the ink is now. Stay away from silver line on rideau across from Rock junction.

Also it's like a tribal three leaf clover but because he sucked the lines like blotched out more and look more rounded, like a lot more rounded than they should. I'm still pissed about it.

that's why i give specific names. artists move to different shops; apprentices become full time, etc etc. just saying a studio doesn't help any.

for example, when i was looking for reputable shops for my first one, i forget the dudes name but he had rave reviews at planet ink i think it was. i had decided on kyle for my own reasons, but dude that was supposedly the guy to go to at planet ink was working at silver line.

also helps when looking at portfolios knowing what to look for.

SelleckStache 09-06-2012 02:11 PM

What's the word on Five Cents on Parkdale?

BK201 09-06-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacostalove (Post 54133799)
that's why i give specific names. artists move to different shops; apprentices become full time, etc etc. just saying a studio doesn't help any.

for example, when i was looking for reputable shops for my first one, i forget the dudes name but he had rave reviews at planet ink i think it was. i had decided on kyle for my own reasons, but dude that was supposedly the guy to go to at planet ink was working at silver line.

also helps when looking at portfolios knowing what to look for.

True, but just because how it turned out I'd probably not go back. It's not terrible but it's not 100% and I associate it with that shop if you can understand that.

I'm happy with living color now would recommend it to anyone and my dad uses Tiffany at planet ink and she did 3 for him all turned out really great.

2Cowen 09-06-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacostalove (Post 54118255)

Thick outlining lines? That would make for one ugly tattoo and take away from the detail. Very thin outlining is the way to go. Lots of water colors would make the tattoo look beautiful and subtle background as well.

Longevity is dependent on the artist but more importantly is dependent on the client. A vibrant and beautiful tattoo that lasts for years is from good aftercare.