HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   With Pronger and Mez out, who runs the PP with Timonen? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1256429)

DJB 09-06-2012 01:41 PM

With Pronger and Mez out, who runs the PP with Timonen?

Sorry Flyers fans, wasn't sure where to ask this one.

Just wondering if I a guy like Coburn is going to step in and take those pp minutes even if it's on the 2nd unit pp.

Thanks!!

RJ8812 09-06-2012 01:54 PM

If he makes the team, Gus should be given the chance to run the 2nd PP unit

laundryman 09-06-2012 02:01 PM

Voracek played the point for a while last year. I assume they'll continue that for a while

cheesesteak 09-06-2012 02:28 PM

I'd like to see Coburn get a chance to increase his offensive numbers. If that doesn't work and they're gonna go with forwards I wouldn't mind them giving Couturier a chance.

flyguy 09-06-2012 02:36 PM

I would think something along the lines of:

PP1:

Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

PP2:

Read-Briere-Schenn
Coburn/Gus - Couturier

Guys like Fedotenko and Talbot would be given shots to play on the second unit throughout the year as well, I'm sure

PALE PWNR 09-06-2012 04:10 PM

Honestly think Schenn will get a shot on that 2nd unit.

flyguy 09-06-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALE PWNR (Post 54136915)
Honestly think Schenn will get a shot on that 2nd unit.

Possibly considering the heavy right handed shot aspect of it. Though Kubina didn't last long when put in that position last year (probably due more to his speed).

Does anyone know if Schenn ever played the PP point in Toronto?

G Money 09-06-2012 04:24 PM

u mean who will play point? voracek cuz claude runs our PP

PALE PWNR 09-06-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 54137017)
Possibly considering the heavy right handed shot aspect of it. Though Kubina didn't last long when put in that position last year (probably due more to his speed).

Does anyone know if Schenn ever played the PP point in Toronto?

I don't think he did, however I think he will get a shot at getting the job there. Gervais is also supposed to be an option I believe as well.

FLYguy3911 09-06-2012 04:35 PM

My guess is Read plays the point. They tried Schenn last year, but he didn't seem too comfortable (more comfortable than JVR but that's not saying much). Still don't know who else would play the point on the second unit other than Gus. Doubt they'd throw Manning in there.

Edit: Forgot Gervais (yikes). Still say Homer makes a move before the season starts (whenever that is).

McNasty 09-06-2012 04:52 PM

It'll be Gus and Coburn most likely. They don't have enough scoring forwards to play 8 of them on the PP.

PALE PWNR 09-06-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 54137769)
It'll be Gus and Coburn most likely. They don't have enough scoring forwards to play 8 of them on the PP.

Hartnell Simmonds Vorack Giroux will definitely be the first unit.

You don't think Briere Schenn Couturier and Read could possibly make up the 2nd?

FLYguy3911 09-06-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALE PWNR (Post 54137879)
Hartnell Simmonds Vorack Giroux will definitely be the first unit.

You don't think Briere Schenn Couturier and Read could possibly make up the 2nd?

They certainly have more capable forwards than capable defensemen. Finding a second defenseman is hard enough let alone an additional one. I would be shocked if it's not 4 forwards and a defenseman on both units to start the season.

DrHamburg 09-06-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 54134693)
I would think something along the lines of:

PP1:

Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

PP2:

Read-Briere-Schenn
Coburn/Gus - Couturier

Guys like Fedotenko and Talbot would be given shots to play on the second unit throughout the year as well, I'm sure

That first unit will look very solid. Worked great at the end of the season. For PP2 Id like to see

Briere-Couturier-Read as the forwards. If Coburn has to log heavy mins with grossman as top PK and top line defenders, I wouldn't mind giving the Schenn bros as the 2nd pairing defensemen. I thought B. Schenn played the point a little last season and wasn't completely awful

thelos 09-06-2012 05:57 PM

Timonen-Voracek

Coburn/Gus-Read/Schenn

Read played some point on the 2nd unit last season

DJB 09-06-2012 06:54 PM

Hhmmm, sounds like Coburn will be playing too many pk and 5 on 5 time hence no pp time. I knew Giroux basically ran the 1st pp unit so I was hoping Coburn might fill in.

I assume Mez for sure is likely going to be on the 2nd pp unit?

sa cyred 09-06-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJB (Post 54140345)
Hhmmm, sounds like Coburn will be playing too many pk and 5 on 5 time hence no pp time. I knew Giroux basically ran the 1st pp unit so I was hoping Coburn might fill in.

Mez had surgery and will be out for quite a bit.

Snotbubbles 09-06-2012 07:48 PM

I just watched game 2 of the PHI/PIT series and Voracek was absolutely magical on the PP. Man, if he could develop a shot he'd be a superstar.

flyguy 09-06-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJB (Post 54140345)

When he comes back, yeah, but who knows if that'll happen this season.

I think Gus would be given a shot at the second unit QB, but he'll be on a short leash. They really can't afford to stunt the second unit's PP production too much by not having a capable defenseman back there setting the play up. And I'd rather not Giroux turn into a Kovalchuk where he spends the full 2 minutes on the PP on the ice.

Also expect Coburn to be given the most responsibility on the D corp this year with missing Pronger and Meszaros, and an aging Timonen. If Gus (or any other defenseman) can't handle it, they will look to Coburn.

DJB 09-06-2012 09:30 PM

Is Pronger 100% finished and never coming back?

Erza Scarlet 09-06-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJB (Post 54144029)
Is Pronger 100% finished and never coming back?

looks that way.

flyersfan187 09-06-2012 11:01 PM

What about Gervais? I thought he was a power play guy?

Kimmo/Read
Gervais/Voracek

Unless Gus makes the team then I'd replace Read with him.

Coburn does not look that great on the power play and should be given rest because we will need him to be strong for us in the playoffs again (if we make it)

freakydallas13 09-07-2012 12:11 AM

I think they will try the schenns on the point for the second powerplay, but it remains to be seen if it will be a disaster or not

dookie88 09-07-2012 02:24 AM

Couturier on the point would not work imo.
He's not fast enough and much better suited to play down low.

I'd like to see Coburn getting a chance, he doesn't need to work the puck all the time. I'd like him to be that trigger man on the point.

There is no reason to change the first unit.
Second unit could look something like this:

Briere-Couturier-Schenn
Read-Coburn

mirimon 09-07-2012 03:58 AM

The first unit will most likely remain intact. The second unit however will probably be experimented with quite a bit to see what fits. Brière is really the only one I'm sure will be on there full time. Read will if he plays as strong as he did last season, but he might not start out on it. Couturier, Coburn and the Schenn brothers will all be given an opportunity I think, as will Gustafsson if he makes the team.